Eastern Closing Thread 2015

Patrick

Yeah, I'm still alive. I've been in radio silence on the internet for a longtime. Life's challenges ... before starting what has become an annual (didn't want to miss out on an annual thing did I?). I'm still skiing...I'm still skiing every month also.

I've had a hard year. This is the first post since November.

84 ski areas are looking to spin this weekend. Most of them in Quebec. (less than half are open midweek also). Many ski areas are saying one more weekend after a successful Easter weekend in the East. Go for it!!! Still great coverage out there. :ski:

Here is the rundown...

Ski Mad World : Early Easter, late Spring : Eastern Closing Thread 2014-15 – Part 1
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2015/04 ... 15-part-1/

Here is the latest list:

First day back at my computer after 4 glorious Spring skiing days in the East. It doesn't get any better than that. Here is this week's rundown on who and where will lifts spin in the East.

Go get some turns!!!! I'm going back...

Melting…snow and list are melting : Eastern Closing Thread 2014-15 – Part 2
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2015/04 ... 15-part-2/

For those curious, I skied Gore, Bolton, Mad River Glen and Smugglers' Notch in the last 4 days.

Eastern percents open are among the highest of the past decade or so that I've been tracking. Nonetheless the natural snowpack within eastern lift service is mostly gone by early May even in the big years like 2001 and 2008.

Sugarloaf might be the exception to that generalization about snow preservation. The April percents open at Sugarloaf stand out relative to other areas, particularly since their percents open early season are mediocre and mid-season about average.

I was going to tell you that Sutton gave up, but I see that you're already on it.

Tony Crocker":3u8z42ji said:
Eastern percents open are among the highest of the past decade or so that I've been tracking. Nonetheless the natural snowpack within eastern lift service is mostly gone by early May even in the big years like 2001 and 2008.

Sugarloaf might be the exception to that generalization about snow preservation. The April percents open at Sugarloaf stand out relative to other areas, particularly since their percents open early season are mediocre and mid-season about average.

Your tracking isn't valid without putting eyeballs on the actual coverage. For example, Killington is only running one lift. If they cranked up 3 or 4 lifts, 80% of the mountain would still be skiable. The woods are all still fine. The north-facing natural snow trails are still skiable. It was a cold March/April. Superstar should easily make Memorial Day and has a pretty good shot at making June 1.

Geoff":1qgtyyy2 said:
Tony Crocker":1qgtyyy2 said:

Your tracking isn't valid without putting eyeballs on the actual coverage. For example, Killington is only running one lift. If they cranked up 3 or 4 lifts, 80% of the mountain would still be skiable. The woods are all still fine. The north-facing natural snow trails are still skiable. It was a cold March/April. Superstar should easily make Memorial Day and has a pretty good shot at making June 1.

Totally agree with Geoff on this one. Almost the only limitation are which lifts are running. MSS is down to 2 runs, however Sunday it looked like more than 2 were skiable. Tony there was still some natural snow trails open at Sugarbush and Jay Peak this past weekend. I can't speak for Killington as I'm not sure what runs have non-snowmaking plus I wasn't there this weekend (I can't be everywhere)?

Admin":1qgtyyy2 said:
I was going to tell you that Sutton gave up, but I see that you're already on it.

Yep, as mentioned in this week's blog post, Sutton (Comi, Le Valinouet and Mont Miller) got scared of the least favorable sunny spring time weather. Dark clouds and potential rain (even if Sutton got snow - yeck it even snowed 2 days at Lucky's house in Bromont). Anyway, saw some great powder pictures from Sutton on Friday.

Okay here is this week's list.

Not to bad, only 2 ski resorts that opened last weekend are calling it a season.

Potentially 8 will be spinning this weekend in the East. Only 2 daily.

May or May not? Eastern Closing Thread 2015 – Week 4
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2015/04 ... 15-week-4/

Updated the blog post above:

Nothing tentative. All confirmed for this weekend and June 1 for Killington. The big snowpack has some areas adding extra lifts from their initial plan (Killington, Sugarloaf) while Miller will have 100% of their terrain open. Oh yeah, Sunday River Ski Maynia skiing is always free. A beautiful weekend of Spring skiing, deep snowpack, sunny and warm weather. It will be the last of the season for 5 of them, only 3 will spins after the following weekend. There is always skiing at Tucks midweek.

Go for it!!!

Another update on the list.

Wachusett is opening Saturday only. That makes it 9 ski areas to choose from in the East.

MSS' last day was last Sunday.

A lot of snow was lost and they were a few thin spots. Could they have pushed more snow to continue spinning? Of course, but it was probably not economically sound. The dark clouds and chance of rain over hovering all weekend didn't help. Not sure how many tickets they sold on Sunday? That being said, the snow depth wasn't as deep as previous last weekend.

Killington is still hoping for June 1, but its hard to tell this time of the season.

Here is this week's post,

Mid-May exceptions? – Eastern Closing Thread 2015 – Week 6
http://wp.me/pP1GY-2HJ

We are getting close...this might be the last weekend, but K seems pretty committed on spinning on June 1, although it will depend how bad it gets? I remember on June 1, 1993 where the walking required was probably as long as the snow cover.

I did some analysis of where does this mean for Killington? Is the Beast back?

May be last weekend, May or June ? Eastern Closing Thread 2014-15 – Part 7
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2015/05 ... 15-part-7/

That is a fascinating piece of marketing logic. Stay closed the weekend of May 29-31 and open on Monday June 1 for bragging rights to say you were open in June?

This makes Mammoth's staying open to Saturday June 1 but not Sunday June 2 in 2013 seem almost sensible.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10998
It's somewhat of an apples-to-oranges comparison. Mammoth obviously had enough snow to stay open one more day if they so chose. Killington is clearly hanging by a thread and one day of skiing after this weekend will destroy what's left.

Tony Crocker":3qs5z0wk said:
That is a fascinating piece of marketing logic. Stay closed the weekend of May 29-31 and open on Monday June 1 for bragging rights to say you were open in June?

Yep, there are dragging their way to June 1, no matter what. I remember June 1, 1993 where there was probably has much of Superstar that required walking versus skiing. They seem totally commitment to make it happen unless there is nothing left. But it was freezing last night here and across the north. There was even some snow that stayed on the ground in parts of the East.

Patrick":15u2fr9o said:
Yep, there are dragging their way to June 1, no matter what.
Nope.
Killington":15u2fr9o said:
7:15 am 05/29/15--Mother Nature gives, and she takes away too. Unfortunately, the time has come to call it a season. Last night's storm dropped significant amounts of rain and we've just lost too much snow to continue. Thus, we will not operate any more for this season.

Back