Laurentian Snow Report 2015/16

Anthony":2n1906z7 said:
The northern Laurentians picked up over a foot of new snow ( with no rain ) yesterday as the the snow /rain line stretched north east from Ottawa into Quebec's Laurentian region . The much needed snow came on top of the 4 inches that fell last week. Meanwhile south of Tremblant the snow changed to mixed precipitation and rain . So the current place to be is the Tremblant area for probably the best snow this season . The current Snow pack now checking in at close to 3 feet . The next two days will be prime as rain is in the forecast for Saturday which will once again change the conditions.

Snow totals in the Tremblant area . Amounts would be higher with elevation gain .

24 hrs : 36 cm
48 hrs : 40 cm
On the ground: 79 cm

You need to go further West to find more snow. Gatineau hills and Ottawa were hit by 50cm in that storm. I was hoping for the turnaround of Valentine's day 2007 type for the East, until I saw that south of the St.Lawrence river were r***ed up. Damn!!!
Today was the first in one week I haven't skied. I have a bunch of vouchers for South of the border, not sure when to use them. :-(

Patrick":26iqa1k7 said:
15-25cm forecast overnight before changent in might rain tomorrow morning.
Patrick reappears! :-D

I was hoping that my Megève TR (with the Émile Allais reference) would smoke you out, but apparently that wasn't enough firepower.

jamesdeluxe":2dneaua0 said:
Patrick":2dneaua0 said:
15-25cm forecast overnight before changent in might rain tomorrow morning.
Patrick reappears! :-D

I was hoping that my Megève TR (with the Émile Allais reference) would smoke you out, but apparently that wasn't enough firepower.

I've been challenged this season... more than previous, plus today was day 44, 39 days since Dec 27. Oh yeah, today was definitely a wet one. The skiing was so great this week, maybe 15cm fell overnight before it started raining when the lift opened. Hoping my stuff is dry for tomorrow.

Back from the west to see that the snow pack is building up . Winter storm warning now posted for Laurentian region ( 30 cm's ) Tuesday night into Wednesday . Will see what happens . Current snowpack in the Tremblant area. Slightly higher accumulations just to the south .

24 hrs : 10 cm
48 hrs : 13 cm
On the ground: 104 cm

Anthony":3pssla5l said:
On the ground: 104 cm
That's more than I expected given the northeast's hideous season. That said, the Laurentians have done decently (far better than south of the border) over the last few weeks.

The Lauentians were just on the border of the storm and managed to pick up about 25 cm's of snow with no sleet . Youngest, with his university schedule managed to fit in a few hours on the boards. Snowpack moving upwards with a late season rally .

24 hrs : 25 cm
48 hrs : 26 cm
On the ground: 130 cm

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 17,523
Spring has arrived early this year (no surprise). Temps currently in the 24 hour cycle above freezing which is having a impact on the snowpack. Just over a foot of snow has been lost in the last week. Snow pack now at about 3 feet. Long range forecast models predict more above temps with rain for the next week. The window of opportunity appears to be this weekend with clear conditions and above normal temps for Saturday and maybe Sunday before the overcast rolls in again. Snow stat below is from the mid laurentians. The Tremblant area received about 40 to 50 cm more this season. A sub par season that started late and will more than likely end early.

Total : 237 cm
Snow on Ground : 98 cm

After a mild week with rain temperatures have dropped off. Temps this morning -17 C. No new snow so snow pack frozen solid. Current snow level at
78 cm Snow on Ground.

Current temps this morning - 12 C with a snow pack of 60 cm. Most ski areas are now closed or will close next weekend. Tremblant is scheduled to close April 17th. MSSI as usual will carry on with no fixed closing date. With so much machine snow it is the lack of customers driving the closures and not the lack of coverage. Natural snow trail skiing has been hit and miss all season with a few good days but lots of warm air and rain that eliminated and chance of building up some momentum. The season ended with below average snowfall , temperatures above average and rainfall above average.

Passing on some information as there appears to be more interest in Tremblant this year due to below average snow totals to the south. The weekend of April 16/17 Tremblant is selling tickets at $50.00CDN ( plus tax and service fee total $59.00CDN ) with kids 12 and under free with a adult paying for a ticket. This week the Laurentians received about 30 cm's of snow mixed with rain then more snow. Current temps now at -17C . The long range forecast for next weekend ( Saturday ) is +15 C with sun. If the forecast holds it should be good. Snow depth at about 60 cm.

Taxes I get - everything in Quebec is taxes plus - but service charge? Service charge for what, selling you a lift ticket at the window?! :-s

Yup ,totally agree but so desperate this year that I might break my self declared boycott on Tremblant and head over there.

Anthony":7w15k7xv said:
Yup ,totally agree but so desperate this year that I might break my self declared boycott on Tremblant and head over there.
No matter how you count it, the lift tickets are still way cheaper than the major US ones still open are charging approximately $100 US.

Back