Sun
Hot
Sunglasses
Beer & BBQ
A band playing
Shorts, Bikinis, underwear and topless skiing
Corn
…and some bumps

This is what Spring skiing is about. Mother Nature gave us warm weather, sunshine and corn weekend. While some people were enjoying their Summer activities in the cities which includes patio drinking, cycling and try to forget about snow, for others it was just another really to go skiing and soak in the rays.

Here is a report of CTV News in Ottawa : Temperatures soar in the capital
http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/temperatures-s ... sc=yJMiHId

My teenaged daughter questioned my sanity. “It’s going to be 21c today, why would you want to be skiing? My reply was, “Exactly, it going to 21c, why not go skiing?” It's on days like these that you see who the real skiers are.

Slow Sunday morning, it was 11:30, it was SUN and +17c. Barely twenty minutes later, I arrived at a packed Skyline parking. Camp Fortune was the closest skiing from home, the next closest options were Tremblant, St-Sauveur and Whiteface between 2 and 3 hours away.

The Valley was closed, Skyline was where it was happening, amongst the best concentration of Spring skiing on a 590’ vertical around, similar to the old lost Gray Rocks used to offer.

Today was a day where all the hardcore weren’t going to miss. If the locals weren’t at Tremblant, they were here. As the afternoon went on, I started to meet more and more people I knew.

The mountain had been groomed, but it was definitely corning up when I started skiing. Skiing from from left to right.

Sparks : the longest and easier trail offered. It was a great place to get started. Corn was already deep.

Bud Clark : close to wall-to-wall coverage, but a few thin spot poking out. Deep corn lower down.

Canadian : Steeper than Bud, a fun steep pitch and some slightly firm snow on the side. Bumps were popping out as the afternoon progressed. Middle Canadian had a few large patches, but it was roped off. It still made for some beautiful nice turns on some of the firmer undisturbed corn snow.

Chute : The steep drop which can be terrifying for some racing kids when it’s solid ice at -21c. Today was +21c and keep you on the edge. The more on the edge, there was a nice small drop to jump off from.

Lower Canadian : the wide part concluding the 3 runs above. There was a few rocks poking through and you had to negotiate a puddle that became biggest has the snow melted.

Heggtveit : The long steep bumped run that was used for the Canadian Moguls Championships for a few weeks ago. It started off fairly smooth after this was groomed, but like the other steep runs, it bumped up in a few places. The edge of the built up snow was particular a lot of fun. The run needed probably another few hours to become a real mogul field par excellence. Still tons of snow left on Heggtveit, probably a few weeks left for those that want to earn their turns.

Swan Dive : Officially closed, but that didn’t stop some brave skiers to try to hope from snowpatch to snowpatch on this steep natural run. It might be the last day of the season.

The tiny Skyline lodge was empty expect for those wanting to buy the $20 lift tickets and using the washroom. People taking a break were sitting outside on the bench and picnic tables setup at the bottom. People smiling in the lift line. The band was playing that you could hear from the top of the lift, burgers were flipping and the beer was flowing. People stayed outside until long after the lift stopped turning, the last beer was served and the last burger was flipped. This is what Spring skiing is really all about.

There was a glimmer of hope for a repeat weekend, but Camp Fortune decided to call it a season after the rain on Monday. Now it’s earned your turns season locally or head to closer open ski hill 2 hours away at Mont St-Sauveur which will continue spinning on weekends until May 14.

(click link for version with pictures)
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2016/04 ... ng-skiing/

Patrick":18w6stkk said:
Corn was already deep.
A contradiction in terms. Corn is a smooth thin layer of nearly frictionless snow on a supportable surface. No overnight freeze = no corn snow. See my April 11-13 TR, no overnight freeze on day 1 but excellent corn on days 2&3. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12123

To paraphrase the late Lloyd Bentsen: "I know corn snow. Corn snow is a friend of mine. That isothermic snow-cone slush Patrick was skiing is no corn snow."

Not that I wouldn't have been there under Patrick's circumstances. This is a great pic:
i-2Bh3jZv-L.jpg

Tony Crocker":3ci3bhkt said:
Patrick":3ci3bhkt said:
Corn was already deep.
A contradiction in terms. Corn is a smooth thin layer of nearly frictionless snow on a supportable surface. No overnight freeze = no corn snow.
To paraphrase the late Lloyd Bentsen: "I know corn snow. Corn snow is a friend of mine. That isothermic snow-cone slush Patrick was skiing is no corn snow."

Admin, do you want to take that one. :dead horse:

PS. It froze overnight.

Tony Crocker":1h318e8l said:
Patrick":1h318e8l said:
PS. It froze overnight.
http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/cana ... a/historic
High 73F, low 37F on April 17. Perhaps the higher altitude and lower humidity from "being in the mountains (top is 1,125 feet)" lowered those numbers. :rotfl:

April 16 was 62/36. The previous time before Patrick's visit at freezing or just below was from 2-6AM on April 15.

Ottawa, Camp Fortune isn't in Ottawa? Plus weren't you the one always talking about heat island created by cities? :lol:

Camp Fortune is in Gatineau Park, a couple of clicks passed Chelsea.

Let's see the weather for Chelsea from the Weather Network, unfortunately I don't have an hourly rate.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/mon ... ec/chelsea

April 17: 67/30
April 16: 60/31
April 15: 54/26
April 14: 50/22
April 13: 42/22

As Admin as previously mentioned, you can't know what is happening and the various locals difference from California even if Russell Martin played for the Dodgers. :dead horse:

Back