Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: re: Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

Postby Patrick » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:19 pm

Admin wrote:
BobR wrote:Sunday River...04-16 announced today. Free day April 17th

If they're closing on the 16th, they'd sure have cajones charging for the 17th!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I guess I won't be going to Sunday River on May 6, their original schedule May Free Ski Day. :roll:

Ski Free Day
04/17/2006

Come on up and join us for our traditional Ski Free Day to close out the 2005-06 winter season. You'll find outdoor barbecues, music, sunshine, and of course spring skiing and riding.

This will the last day of operations for the season.
Patrick

re: Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

Postby Patrick » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:31 pm

Is anyone going to make it to May this year? Normally this isn't an issue, but I'm starting to wonder.

Especially that SR has shorten their planned ski season. No recent news on Kmart or MSS yet? :roll:

If so, I wonder when the last time not one ski area in the East has made it to May? I definitely didn't have a drivers license back then (at least 25 years).

Just looked up in the FTO Archives section and found it for K:

As for Killington, the last time they didn't make it to May was 1973-74 when they closed on April 30th.
Patrick

Postby BobR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:48 am

Sorry 17th is closing date for the river. :roll:
16th is the last day tickets will be sold.
I'll be there the 17th. Its a fun event, just to early. In years past there was a period of time between the closing and the re-opening for May day.
Skiing is my addiction
BobR

Postby Patrick » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:28 pm

BobR wrote:In years past there was a period of time between the closing and the re-opening for May day.

I haven't kept tracked, but I only recall seeing that happen 2 or 3 times. In the "were trying to beat Killington" days, I recall skiing White Heat on May 28th. Probably in 1994.

Anyway, we had planned a trip down for May. I'll have to try another place to ski and it's not going to be in Quebec.

As mentioned above Ste.Anne which generally has it fixed closing date on the first weekend of May, is set to close on April 30th. I saw a press release from St. Sauveur mentioning closing in late April. Not May!!!

That will be the first time I recall no Quebec ski area still open in May. Not a good trend at all. :?
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:06 pm

The number of ski areas in the East that are still open will drop drastically after Easter weekend.

In the last weekend, Sutton in Quebec has closed for the season. A number of Quebec areas have closed midwee. Some are schedule to open for next weekend while other will make a decision once the long weekend is here. The same logic applies all over the East, so next Monday or Tuesday will have a better ideas on who's left standing.
Patrick

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:28 am

I wouldn't bet big piles of money on Killington staying open beyond April 30. The steeply discounted season pass has destroyed spring skiing since they don't sell enough day tickets to justify the expense of staying open.
Geoff

Postby riverc0il » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:20 pm

Geoff wrote:I wouldn't bet big piles of money on Killington staying open beyond April 30. The steeply discounted season pass has destroyed spring skiing since they don't sell enough day tickets to justify the expense of staying open.

indeed. the other effect of the cheap season pass is that the pass is so cheap, it is all the advertising they need. they no longer need to be first to open, last to close in order to get people there because of marketing. money talks more than an open lift apparently! in many ways, i will be happy to see kmart not make it past april, perhaps some people will start waking up? that may involve not paying for services if you don't agree with how the business operates. as long as people are buying passes for a smaller season, why should kmart stay open past april? i bet 99% of pass holders don't even ski kmart in april, let alone may.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Not about Killington

Postby Patrick » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:58 pm

Okay, so I'm adding a few more dates here...

Jay - trying to make it to April 23

Sugarbush - Lincoln Peak is closed for the season.
Mt. Ellen projected closing for weekly operations: April 23
If conditions permit, we will re-open Mt. Ellen for the weekend of April 29 and 30.

Hunter - THIS saturday, April 15
Patrick

Postby BobR » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:34 am

RivercOil.... I would think a decent amount of pass holders from ASC will be skiing fairly late with the pass. Part of the reason I bought mine.

There was a decent crowd at River last weekend and it was Reggae weekend. I'm sure when K is the only ASC option. Folks will migrate.

Off topic, but Bretton woods has a $20 ticket is you show your pass from another mountain for the rest of the season.
I may try that late season. I think they will be the last standing. Ski for a few hours hike for a few hours.
Skiing is my addiction
BobR

Postby jsul185 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:28 am

[QUOTE]Off topic, but Bretton woods has a $20 ticket is you show your pass from another mountain for the rest of the season. [/QUOTE]

Thats a good plan Bob. I skied Bretton's last day last year on May 11th. Bretton had one groomed :cry: trail but it was 60 degrees and sunny, I hiked a trail after lunch and had a couple of Coronas :D. I agree Bretton will be the last resort in New England open this year. I think they still use that as part of thier marketing strategy. Riveroil is right that other Mtns. no longer compete to stay open. I was at Stowe Monday the conditions were the best all year in my opinion but the mountain was empty. The average skier stops skiing in March.

I purchase the ASC mid week pass for one reason to ski in Nov, April, May. I wish they'd go back to a spring pass by analyzing the april, may skiers and charging us accordingly. Maybe all season passes would expire March 31st and then offer a spring pass. I don't know what the answer is. In Nov. I skied 1 day at K's and 2 days at Sugarloaf so I'll have to evaluate if the $369 is worth it next year.
jsul185

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:41 am

Evidently Mammoth saw a downside to its cheap Value Pass program, and therefore cut it off to new entrants this season. But they did give warning a year ago (that's part of why I bought one then) and they are grandfathering existing MVP holders who renew. The price went from $450 in 2005-06 to $485 in 2006-07. And thankfully Mammoth is not changing its commitment to run every day until July 4th in big years like the last 2. However I think operation past July 4 as in 1983 or 1995 is unlikely. This season will probably be the test of that.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby BobR » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:56 pm

I was a spring into March Pass buyer when that was an option. I'm one of the people Geoff is talking about with the new pass. (No offense directed Jeff) If I had property at an ASC resort I would probably have a different view than I do know.

The ASC pass does let me ski earlier and later than my Threedom pass. Not by as much as it did the last 2 years ago.

Ow its not being advertised much... but Loon will be open Monday the 17th, moving its closing day back a day.
Skiing is my addiction
BobR

Postby Patrick » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:24 pm

I hadn't added this ski area on the list, but in case anyone that will be around Ottawa on this Easter weekend, Camp Fortune will not open this weekend.

All local skiing is now shut down, Fortune being the last to close last weekend. The closest area until Monday is now Tremblant, 2 hours drive - 100 miles away.

So it will be a uniquely Whiteface / Tremblant combo weekend for me.
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:33 pm

jsul185 wrote:I purchase the ASC mid week pass for one reason to ski in Nov, April, May.

This is getting closer to the familiar Kmart end of season discussion.

River, I agree that most of the passholders probably don't ski late season, HOWEVER this also applies to all skiers in general. Some people, as jsul185 pointed out, might buy a ASC pass because they expect their season pass to last longer than the competition.

If K and other ASC ski areas no longer provide a relatively longer ski season versus another areas, some people might rethink their pass commitment to ASC. Why buy the ASC pass versus the Stowe, Jay, Whiteface or other areas passes?
Patrick

Postby BobR » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Early and late Season are a nice attractions.
Still for $365 to be able to ski Nov to April, that pass will sell to many. Its just 6 days. 3 weekends. I bought one again. I use it for a change of pace in the winter from my threedom. Quite a few folks I know bought that as a second pass. I think alot depends on how long Killington keeps going this year.
Skiing is my addiction
BobR

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America