Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: re: Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

Postby riverc0il » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 pm

BobR wrote:RivercOil.... I would think a decent amount of pass holders from ASC will be skiing fairly late with the pass. Part of the reason I bought mine.

a decent amount perhaps, but that isn't a very quantitative description of the volume. care to compare what you see for skiers this weekend to late december through february? the die hards will be out every late season, but i think most pass holders will be staying home. it is true of all mountains open this late. most folks don't even care that they could ski without paying another weekend.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

re: Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

Postby BobR » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:27 am

I'll post what I see. Easter weekend usually has a decent crowd. Camp3's deck at Loon was full last year on Good Friday and a good crowds on Sunday. Manageable and I'm sure the mountain made a penny and the lines were ski on ski off on the North peak quad maybe 1 to 2 min of the Gondi.

The Marathon on Monday allows for alot of 3 day weekend folks and its the beginning of mass vacation week.

After that it is just those that don't quit. No comparison to Jan or Feb. The only skiers after that are pass holders and freebee's. I skied K I think May 12th last year and there were a decent amount of folk there with 3 decent runs. I'm hoping for a similar outlook, but not confident.

I'm impressed with the Bettonwoods $20 purchase a ticket with a 2005-2006 pass from another area. I know folks who are going to take advantage of that deal. Myself and my family are part of that group.
Skiing is my addiction
BobR

Postby Patrick » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:33 pm

GO SKIING WHILE YOU CAN... I will. I'm planning two of these areas.

AFTER THIS LONG WEEKEND the only Eastern lift-serviced skiing while be in Vermont, Quebec and Bretton Woods (NH).

Here is a quick list of last days:

Hunter - April 15
Whiteface - April 16
Gore - April 16
Saddleback - April 16
Wildcat - April 16 :shock:
Sugarloaf - April 16
Loon - April 17
Tremblant - April 17
Sunday River - April 17 (ski free)
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:52 pm

Smuggs is also closing today, April 16.

So who left standing after this long weekend and might offering skiing next weekend? Some of these areas only offer weekend skiing only.

Maine and New York:
No one

New Hampshire:
Bretton Woods (hoping for sometimes in May) :shock:

Vermont:
Jay Peak
Killington (May 1st)
Stowe (free skiing next Sunday)
Sugarbush

Québec (thanks Frank):
Mont Comi - Bas St-Laurent
Val d'Irène - Gaspésie
Le Valinouët - Saguenay Lac-St-Jean
Mont Sainte-Anne - Québec (closing April 30)
Mont Saint-Sauveur - Laurentians. (late April)
Last edited by Patrick on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick

Postby JimG. » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:45 am

I was at Bretton Woods on Thursday 4/13...they're hoping to make it to April 30.

BTW, I've never been to a resort on April 13 where every run on the mountain had been groomed. Who grooms every trail in mid April?

I've never seen that before, but Bretton Woods must be the grooming capital of the world.

Blew my mind!
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Postby Patrick » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:14 pm

JimG. wrote:BTW, I've never been to a resort on April 13 where every run on the mountain had been groomed. Who grooms every trail in mid April?

I've never seen that before, but Bretton Woods must be the grooming capital of the world.

You should go to Mont St. Sauveur or maybe you shouldn't. :lol:

Anyway, as read elsewhere... K is planning to close May 1st. :shock:

OUCH!!!

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=2038
Patrick

Postby sven » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:36 pm

Looks like some terrible news! I'm making my trip up to Tucks for this Thursday (anyone gonna be in the ravine?) and maybe I'll try to hit Killington right before driving back on Friday. Ive been seeing forecasts calling for rain and mid 50's high's for the Mt. Washington region beginning after Friday, same for Killington. With a real rain spell maybe Killington wont even pull through until May 1 :? But I'm surprised how well Hunter Mtn. did this winter with building up their base, even with less than 100 inches of snowfall theyve managed to pull through until April 15 - and from the photos I saw on their website from April 13 or 14 it seems that alot of the runs have pretty good cover (at least where it matters, e.g. the steeps of lower K27). I gave some thought to hiking and skiing laps on K27 this past Sunday since it looked so good. Last day I was there was March 31 (quite a while ago) and they had K27 open, but with some skiing over wet grass necessary on the runout or even hiking (depending on how dear to you the skis you were on were). I was glad to see that they still kept it open even despite the terrible conditions on the bottom - at least its a sign that they havent forsaken the dedicated late season skier (although I thought it was ridiculous that they would be trying to charge full price for lift tickets on their last two days with "7" trails, more like 2 runs, $25 voucher for next season or not). Maybe this is one of the side effects of Killington no longer having the late spring season market cornered...

Sven
sven

Postby BobR » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:24 am

I skied Monday the 17th at Loon making closing day. I made opening day as well. Friday was the busiest day of the weekend. I made it up at 2.30 and skied till 4. I love 1/2 days and Loon being close enough to get some late day runs in.

RivercOil was correct this year. The folks did not come. The place was empty the entire weekend. Spring Skiing :D , many interesting dirt and rock patches. Picked rock could stay open it seems for ever. One spot where it looked thin. The conditions were better than recent years at closing IMO.
Skiing is my addiction
BobR

Postby JimG. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:06 am

sven wrote:Looks like some terrible news! I'm making my trip up to Tucks for this Thursday (anyone gonna be in the ravine?) and maybe I'll try to hit Killington right before driving back on Friday. Ive been seeing forecasts calling for rain and mid 50's high's for the Mt. Washington region beginning after Friday, same for Killington. With a real rain spell maybe Killington wont even pull through until May 1 :? But I'm surprised how well Hunter Mtn. did this winter with building up their base, even with less than 100 inches of snowfall theyve managed to pull through until April 15 - and from the photos I saw on their website from April 13 or 14 it seems that alot of the runs have pretty good cover (at least where it matters, e.g. the steeps of lower K27). I gave some thought to hiking and skiing laps on K27 this past Sunday since it looked so good. Last day I was there was March 31 (quite a while ago) and they had K27 open, but with some skiing over wet grass necessary on the runout or even hiking (depending on how dear to you the skis you were on were). I was glad to see that they still kept it open even despite the terrible conditions on the bottom - at least its a sign that they havent forsaken the dedicated late season skier (although I thought it was ridiculous that they would be trying to charge full price for lift tickets on their last two days with "7" trails, more like 2 runs, $25 voucher for next season or not). Maybe this is one of the side effects of Killington no longer having the late spring season market cornered...

Sven

Hunter did do a great job this season. Still a TON of snow left on the lower K27 headwall.

Resorts close because of a lack of paying skier visits, not lack of snow. If there's no profit motive, the lifts don't spin.
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Postby Spensar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:07 am

Jay Website.

Good morning and welcome to what will probably be our last week of the season.

We will have 10 trails open and 2 lifts in operation. Most of the skiing will be on Stateside with the Jet triple as your access to the trails. The Jet, Haynes, Derrick, Montrealer, Angel's Wiggle, Taxi and Lower Canam. The Metro Quad will be operating on Tramside, we'll have Queen's Highway, Interstate and Harmony Lane.

Conditions are spring all around with some bare spots. The forecasts for today is temps in the low 50's with lots of sun. Sun is in the forecast for the rest of the week, through Friday at least.
Spensar

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:41 pm

JimG. wrote:Resorts close because of a lack of paying skier visits, not lack of snow. If there's no profit motive, the lifts don't spin.

Yes, most of the time. However even with the current conditions in the East, the lack of customer is being less of a factor in the closing date.

River was with me at MRG on it's last day (April 1). It was incredible that they didn't close sonner. Kudos for keeping the lifts turning. Not a good example because of the lack of snowmaking?

Whiteface this weekend. When the skiing to the bottom is so marginal (K has done it the past), it was surprising that they even opened this weekend. I skied a few last days of the season at Whiteface, Sugarloaf, Ste-Anne, Tremblant to know how much coverage there usually is.

Tremblant could have survived a bit longer, but I've rarely seen so little snow for mid-April (closing weekend).
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:12 pm

I found a few closing days posted...

Last one standing in the East will be?

By order of closing date or probable closing date.

Le Valinouët - April 22nd
Stowe - April 23rd
Val d'Irène - April 23rd
Jay Peak - April 23rd? (probably last weekend)
Mont Comi - April 23rd, maybe later
Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe April 23rd or 30th
Sugarbush - April 23rd, maybe 30
Mont Sainte-Anne - April 30th
Killington - May 1st
Bretton Woods (hoping for May) :shock:
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:21 am

Latest update...

Le Valinouët - April 22nd
Jay Peak - April 22nd (probable)
Stowe - April 23rd
Val d'Irène - April 23rd
Sugarbush - April 23rd (probable), a long shot for next weekend.
Mont Comi - April 23rd, maybe later
Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe April 23rd or 30th
Mont Sainte-Anne - April 30th
Killington - May 1st
Bretton Woods (hoping for May) :shock:

From Jay website this morning...

It is another gorgeous day out there, sunshine all around! However the sun is taking all our snow away. We are down to 6 trails open for today with 2 lifts accessing those trails. The 2 lifts will be the Jet triple and the Metro quad. The Jet, Haynes, Montrealer, Angel's Wiggle, Harmony Lane and the Interstate. There are no trails connecting the 2 sides together, so keep that in mind when you park your car.
(...)
Tomorrow will probaly be last day of the 2005-2006 season so get your golf clubs ready.

From Sugabush...

CONDITIONS: 5:50 AM- Five trails. Three days. That's all that is left in the 2005-06 season. True, if the conditions permit, we will reopen next weekend, but the corn has ripened to perfect spring consistency and skiing and riding the bumps of Upper FIS is the perfect way to get in shape for summer.

Looks like they're pretty sure that it's the end...
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:16 am

Who is still open or going to be open this weekend?

Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe on weekend
Sugarbush - YES on weekend, closing on April 30th
Mont Sainte-Anne - YES on weekend, closing on April 30th
Mont Comi - YES on weekend
Killington - YES, closing May 1st
Bretton Woods - YES, still aiming for early May

Runs and prices:

Sugarbush - maybe 5 runs? for
Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe 2 runs for ?
Mont Comi - x number of runs for $18 CDN
Mont Sainte-Anne - maybe 20 runs for $41 CDN
Killington - 3 runs for $39 US
Bretton Woods - 2 green runs for $30US
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patrick

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:38 am

Patrick wrote:Who is still open or going to be open this weekend?

Sugarbush - maybe on weekend

Word has it that as of this morning, Sugarbush has officially committed to going for it.

Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America