Tuckerman Ravine - May 7, 2006

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: re: Tuckerman Ravine - May 7, 2006

Postby Admin » Fri May 12, 2006 7:11 am

salida wrote:Count me in on the next FTO excursion!

Well, then, that would be this Sunday...in Utah. See y'all here. :wink: I'll bring my ear plugs...

Admin
Site Admin

re: Tuckerman Ravine - May 7, 2006

Postby JimG. » Fri May 12, 2006 8:15 am

Sounds like an FTO Tucks trip is in the cards, at least for next season anyway.

How great a sport is skiing when I just hung up the boards for this season and I'm already psyched for next?
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Postby Jonny D » Fri May 12, 2006 8:53 am

How great a sport is skiing when I just hung up the boards for this season and I'm already psyched for next?

No kidding, I'm already at phase 5 withdrawl. Half my friends are sick of hearing me talk about it...

Ever notice how you can spell 'ski' with some of the letters from 'sick' ?
I'll have to call in sick more next year....
Relax... I'm a Physicist. I do this all the time....
Jonny D

Postby Patrick » Fri May 12, 2006 1:25 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:I'm in the trip for next year with you guys.

LUCKY LUKE!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Nice to also see on the forum. :mrgreen:

Jonny D wrote:

No kidding, I'm already at phase 5 withdrawl. Half my friends are sick of hearing me talk about it...

Ever notice how you can spell 'ski' with some of the letters from 'sick' ?
I'll have to call in sick more next year....

Personally I think it more like an addiction. Some people are addicted to coffee, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, curling, etc. The more I have it, the more I need it. After the last two weekends, i'm totally stoked... \:D/ I need more more more. Just can't get enough. This will be my first week without any skiing since prior to Christmas, I definitely need professional help!!! :?

Admin wrote:Well, then, that would be this Sunday...in Utah. See y'all here.
Okay, we're all going to sleep over to your place on Saturday night. Lucky Luke, Lfgly, Salida, River, Jim, Hamdog and I, sure Pat not going to mind? :lol:
Patrick

Postby Admin » Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 pm

Patrick wrote:Okay, we're all going to sleep over to your place on Saturday night. Lucky Luke, Lfgly, Salida, River, Jim, Hamdog and I, sure Pat not going to mind? :lol:

Sunday is Mother's Day. I'm sure that I'd be labeled a mother-something.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby JimG. » Fri May 12, 2006 2:47 pm

Admin wrote:Sunday is Mother's Day. I'm sure that I'd be labeled a mother-something.

Me too if I bailed on Mother's day to go skiing out west.

Then again, I've been called worse in the past.

This past season's schedule just got too packed with things I had to do to get out there to visit Marc...my bad. I'll try to make up for it in the coming season.
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Postby awf170 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:22 pm

JimG. wrote:Sounds like an FTO Tucks trip is in the cards, at least for next season anyway.

I'm pretty sure me and my dad would be down for a Mt. Washington FTO trip. I would actually rather do GoS. We would have the whole place to ourselves that way if someone showed up later it would be easier to spot everyone. In the GoS you could just meet at the base of the main gully, very easy. Where as Tucks might be a pain to find everyone. Just my opinion though...
awf170

Postby riverc0il » Fri May 12, 2006 7:38 pm

when GoS is filled in, i suspect it would be a lot harder to arrange a central meeting spot compared to tux. from the snow fields to boott spur gullies, many runs dump you out over a mile apart from each other whereas all routes lead to the the floor of the ravine in tux and there is always hojos as decision making central on the way up. i really enjoy GoS, but in terms of findings other people, i really think you gotta be together on the way up either way you go, but especially GoS since the runs are so far spread out and don't all end in the say location.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby Patrick » Fri May 12, 2006 7:43 pm

I don't think it would be a good plan for 20 of us to ski Duchess at the same time. :shock: :shock: :shock:

But I would love to ski GOS (it's been on Lucky Luke list for long), but also Dodge, maybe Duchess and a top-to-bottom Chute for once (I never had the right conditions for it).

Hojo would definitely be a good place to meet, because I suspect that we might be the same speed hiking up. :oops:

Anyway, we're pretty far from a plan trip. :cry:
Patrick

Postby riverc0il » Fri May 12, 2006 8:03 pm

group size would definitely be a major concern of mine with that type of outting. best idea with anything more than five or six people would be to weed out the quicker hikers and break into two mini groups after the hike up or depending on what lines folks wanted to do. i would think decision making in groups larger than four could become problematic.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
riverc0il

Postby salida » Fri May 12, 2006 8:22 pm

riverc0il wrote:group size would definitely be a major concern of mine with that type of outting. best idea with anything more than five or six people would be to weed out the quicker hikers and break into two mini groups after the hike up or depending on what lines folks wanted to do. i would think decision making in groups larger than four could become problematic.

Concurred... while hiking up tucks trail with 10 people might not be bad, skiing with 10 is looking for trouble... I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to split off!

To bad most of you guys are done for the year. Any interest in a weekend trip in late may anyone?
salida

Postby hamdog » Fri May 12, 2006 8:41 pm

Any interest in a weekend trip in late may anyone?

yep. any time after the 23rd. whereever, whenever
hamdog

Postby Patrick » Fri May 12, 2006 8:58 pm

salida wrote:To bad most of you guys are done for the year. Any interest in a weekend trip in late may anyone?

I'm all booked up for the next few weeks, but late May or early June wouldn't be impossible. :shock:

I also agree on side of group, more than a hand full would be troublesome. That what I meant when I talk about 20 in Duchess.
Patrick

Postby riverc0il » Sat May 13, 2006 5:47 am

salida wrote:Any interest in a weekend trip in late may anyone?

i am looking at both the next two weekends. ideally mr. otto will provide a hand next weekend then the bowl proper the last weekend in may.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
riverc0il

Postby awf170 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:29 am

Just meeting at the bowl or at hojos would be the easiest IMO. I really don't like hiking up with a big group of people with different speeds. The easiest thing to do IMO is to have some one make a sign that says "FTO" on it so everyone could find the group. Just get a poster board from walmart or something. I would think that the left side of the bowl by the bottom of left gully would be a good meeting/hangout spot. Easier to find everyone then at lunch rocks. Then everyone can just go do there own runs in groups of 3-4. Does anyone think we will have more than 10-15 people anyway?
awf170

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America