Mont Cascades (Ottawa local), QC - January 17, 07 (night)

Patrick

Well it was about time...

Welcome to normal winter routine which includes my Wednesday night ski racing.

Yesterday was by far the coldest day of the year, morning temps in Ottawa was a nice -25c, maximum during the day was -17c (+2F). A weird thing was that today it was -2c. :roll: I am not going to complain even if wearing a speedsuit at that temp is not comfortable, but yeah, we got a race under our belt. \:D/

Anyhow, it was Ottawa Ski Masters Association debut of it's 25th season. A local racing series ran by fellow volunteer skiers on mainly 4 local hills. The cost of participating in this series is crazy. :D $15 for the race registration + $10 for the lift ticket, heck, that even cheapest than buying the actual lift ticket. Registration for the OMSA is $35 and is required if you are going to go more than one race.

Everyone who lives in the East know that it wasn't been winter yet, so far our first two races have been posponned due to lack of snow and terrain open. Ski areas are ready to closed down a trail when they only have 3 or 4 runs open. Temps have been consistantly below freezing in the last week, so ski areas have been able to make some snow.

LAST NIGHT AT CASCADES:

The ski area is 30 minutes from downtown Ottawa and has 160meter vertical. 6 of the 19 trails were open, including the "Exhibition" trail which is one of my favorite race hill in our series. Only 50% of the trail was covered in snow, the rest was a mixt of rocks, hill of snow and snow guns.

Snow conditions on the hill were as good as it get in the small local hill. Packed Powder with a firm base on the slalom course. Regardless of the cold, I actually decided to have 5 more runs after the race was over instead of collecting on that "bet" at the bar with a fellow competitor. :wink: The turnout was 31 racers, I guess a few people got scare of the cold. :lol:

The next race is going to be next Wednesday is going to be a Slalom on the Slalom trail at Camp Fortune.

It was a great evening. You feel alive on an evening is last night.

For more info:

http://www.ottawamasters.ca

Back