Burke Mountain, VT: 02/15/07

riverc0il

Hard to believe I could possibly be disappointed today (heh!), but after yesterday's romp and continued snow storm, I had myself psyched up that Thursday would be the day of a decade. Perhaps it was for first turners (from_the_NEK?) but I was held up at work most of the day only boarding the Willoughby Quad at 2:50.

I was able to get in four runs before the quad was shut down "due to wind" at 3:50p (are you serious?!). Went into the trees on the first run and boy was I disappointed. The snow had been slaughtered and I was not going to get perpetual refills at 3p. Next I took a wonderfully packed/loose powder Willoughby to Birches where I found occasional untracked while trying not to get stuck in knee to thigh deep powder.

"Ohhhh, that is a nice line! I bet I can get enough speed up and the pitch is decent enough...."

Famous last words. The snow consistency is amazing and unbelievable all at the same time. These last few weeks I have frequently said "well, that was nice but we need a major two foot dump of base building quality snow." Well folks, it has arrived. I have never seen better base building snow as everything is open wide up with great coverage. Try as you might, once this snow got wind loaded, you just can't sick more than 6-8" tops out of more than two feet.

Dropped into the elevator shaft next for completely untracked figure 11's straight down a five foot wide chute at 27ish degrees with the occasional tree to dodge. Sweet! Figure 11s and straight line steep chutes are perhaps the best terrain for this type of snow.

Finished up the day dropping Fox's Folly which is finally 100% open. Folks on the quad provide a wonder cheering section while I hucked two jumps off the rolls of the trail. Washed out on the first one but stuck the second landing. This whole talking hits with powder landings thing is kinda fun, I never used to be one for taking big airs (not that I would call the hops on Fox's "big air"), but I have really been enjoying the new challenge and fun feeling of popping a perfect drop and sticking the landing.

Reciprocal Jay/Burke Mid-Week has paid off big time these past seven days. Looking forward to more before/after work turns now that Burke finally has a flame going. Aside from the general lack of untracked by days end, the packed/loose/wind slabbed powder is phenomenal to putz around in/on.

Reciprocal Jay/Burke Mid-Week has paid off big time these past seven days.

With most of the lists on wind hold at Jay today I wonder how many other Jay pass holders were at Burke today? :D
This may account as to why Burke was so tracked out.

Back