2 weeks in Gaspesia

Lucky Luke

Some wonderful vacations. We spend 2 weeks in Gaspesia where we skied alpine, backcountry, cross-country and snowshoe. Here's a teaser. More pics to come later.

Attachments

• 100_3146.jpg
    100_3146.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 12,656
Here's the pics!

Attachments

• 100_3133.jpg
    100_3133.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 12,529
  • 100_3134.jpg
    100_3134.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 12,532
  • 100_3150.jpg
    100_3150.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 12,529
  • 100_3164.jpg
    100_3164.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 12,534
  • 100_3168.jpg
    100_3168.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 12,555
  • 100_3182.jpg
    100_3182.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 12,516
  • 100_3190.jpg
    100_3190.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 12,542
  • 100_3192.jpg
    100_3192.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 12,537
jamesdeluxe":2b585glp said:
The second set are showing as red x's.

Yes, I just checked and confirmed that the second set never actually uploaded to the server for some reason, so I've deleted that post.

And with this photo of Mont Miller:

100_3134.jpg

...I've now seen two ski areas with ugly high-tension lines running straight across the bottom of the mountain...and they're both in Quebec!

Admin":2d86gqke said:
I've now seen two ski areas with ugly high-tension lines running straight across the bottom of the mountain...and they're both in Quebec!

I remember Mont Sainte Anne having power lines toward the bottom, wrecking the nice view of the St. Lawrence.

Hydro Quebec always gets the last word.

The other set

Attachments

• 100_3226.jpg
    100_3226.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 12,437
  • 100_3235.jpg
    100_3235.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 12,444
  • Photo 010a.jpg
    Photo 010a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 12,485
  • 100_3239.jpg
    100_3239.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 12,446
  • Photo 013.jpg
    Photo 013.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 12,454
  • Photo 067.jpg
    Photo 067.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 12,436
  • Photo 083a.jpg
    Photo 083a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 12,450
Very nice. I'm not familiar with Gaspesia - is that the Chic Chocs? Where exactly were you? I'd like to look on the map.

Harvey44":1vy6hufp said:
I'm not familiar with Gaspesia - is that the Chic Chocs? Where exactly were you? I'd like to look on the map.
I rented a home in Murdochville for 2 weeks. Mt- Miller and Mt-Porphyre are in Murdochville while all the other pics have been taken in the Parc de la Gaspésie. Murdochville is in the middle of the Gaspesia peninsula, 45 min. from the Chic Chocs and Mc Gerrigles mountains. You really have a big mountains feeling when you're up there. You feel like you're out west but you're in the east. :wink:

Great pictures , How many hours drive after Rimouski and how is the road ? My family came ashore from Ireland over 100 years ago at Cap - des-Rosiers and would like to go back . I have heard tales of snow depths in this area as long as I can remember . Did Gros Morne NFLD in 91 but this looks better. 2 weeks is a good time and you escape the crowds from the Quebec school break.

Anthony said:
How many hours drive after Rimouski and how is the road ?quote]

3.5 hours pass Rimouski on a 2 lane highway wich is OK till Ste-Anne des Monts, a little curvy after then. The drive at that point is magnificent; you're trapped between the sea and big cliffs and you see ice formations and big waves (that sometimes end up on the road) on the St-Laurence river.

Those windmills at the top of Mont Miller are probably a reliable and environmentally responsible source of income for a ski area that doesn't have a big population to draw on, but visually, oy... that ain't what I want to see when I'm skiing.

I remember Magic Mountain, VT was talking about installing them a few years back, but haven't heard anything lately.

Thanks Luke for posting the pictures. :p

jamesdeluxe":839tkyaa said:
Those windmills at the top of Mont Miller are probably a reliable and environmentally responsible source of income for a ski area that doesn't have a big population to draw on, but visually, oy... that ain't what I want to see when I'm skiing.

Actually I like them, I don't find them an eye sore at all. You can really see the Windmills on the first picture from this ZS report from last year. :D

I'm not sure if it's the ski area that's getting the income. The history of Murdochville is mining. A one industry town which saw their last mine shutdown in 2002. There was a referendum where 65% of the population wanted the government of Quebec to closed the town. It didn't happen, now Wind Power is the new source of income.

http://www.murdochville.com/english/index.html

Zoneski Mt. Miller report from last year

Here are other pics I like from Mt.Miller ski area.

Mt. Miller seen from town (Zoneski)

Murdochville as seen from Mt. Miller (zoneski) :p

You had better like those windmills from all the environmental comments I see on these boards. My son Adam has been taking some engineering courses on energy issues, and wind is currently the only completely clean energy source where the economics make sense.

Yes those look like real mountains with lots of snow. Is ski development prohibited for national park or wilderness reasons, or is the area considered too remote to be viable as a ski destination?

Tony Crocker":311p0ha8 said:
Yes those look like real mountains with lots of snow. Is ski development prohibited for national park or wilderness reasons, or is the area considered too remote to be viable as a ski destination?

1) Yes, development is strictly prohibited in the park, however (someone else might be able to confirm this) not all the Chic Choc range is in the Parc de la Gaspésie. I believe Mt. Miller is outside the park.

2) This area is very remote population wise. We are talking almost 8 hours and 400 miles (according to Mapquest) from Quebec City.

There was a Heliski operation in the Chic Chocs that might have lasted one or two years back in the mid 80s. I have a brochure here somewhere. :shock:

Hi, I'm from Québec City so i may add some info about those places!
Both Parc de la Gaspésie (where Mt Albert and several other hiking mountains are ) and Chics-Chocs(where Hog's Back and Champs de Mars are ) are in the same area of Quebec (Gaspésie) and are run under the govornment SEPAQ system of parcs, they are just 2 different kind of parks....(chic-choc is bigger but some of it is not composed of mountains, it's rather more a 'hunting/fishing place...) those 2 places are a backcountry heaven with avalanche risks, this is a well known place for Quebecors especially in summer but there's no big city before 8 hours of driving (Québec City with about 750 000 person, and Montreal even 2hours1/2 more drive time) so there's even some little ski resorts near montreal and québec that have been closing in the past years so it would be surprising to see a new one poping over there!
And the 2 protected areas where the backcountry is available is run by the governement and it's sure they won't build anything like a resort there....there's a little (and very nice) auberge at the bottom of mont albert and some little houses/camping sites that you can reach by car....otherwise the other good spots for backcountry (mines madeleine, mont logan) are accessible after long approching trails...so that limits the developement potential....
Those areas have been created exactly for the purpose of restricted developement and preservations.....government tried in the 80's to develop some resort....MOnt-Sainte-Anne near Québec City was a SEPAQ run resort before it was sold (for a ridiculous price considering there was a new 8 places gondola built there!) to Resort of the canadian rockies...........so it would be realy surprising that they get involved in another of those projects and it would be seen as a disrespect for the environment which is a 'new' big concern for quebecors recently (they wanted to privatize a section of a national park where there's a resort, mont orford, which is a calm not too developed place, and there,s was a almost generalized protest for that....)
For Mont-Miller, this one is not in any of those parks but it's in the Gaspésie region, it's not realy like the big mountain photos, it's still a nice ski place with lifts near a little town maybe 1000 persons (Murdochville) that almost closed after it's copper mines was closed but now they are coming back with wind energy! and it gets lots of snow! but it's not open snow fields like the chic-chocs........i think there's mont porphyre in murdochville that is hikable and wide snow fields.....

so that's it! hope this helps!
nicolas

Back