Mt. Blanc (Laurentians) QC - March 25, 2007

Patrick

Morgane agree to come skiing with me on Sunday, unfortunately I didn't get to bring Tara, her younger sister, on Saturday, so we went to the museum instead.

My daughter has been on a mission this year. Ski areas that she's never been before (Watch out Tony, Chris and Admin). :wink: I believe Mt. Blanc was area #20 for her, not bad for a 9 yr old. 8)

Here are the stats:

Trails: 40
Lifts: 7
Magic Carpets: 2
Glade Trails: 4
Vertical Drop: 1000 ft (300m)
Snowmaking: 85%
Snow Parks: 3

The mountain has 3 areas or faces. The main face called Mont Blanc, which is the original part of the ski area. Slightly offset is Mont Faustin which used to be a separate area when I was a kid in the 70s. I remember skiing when it was a seperate area. A area was added in the 90s which is a different peak connected to Mont Faustin called Mont Blanc Nord.

It claims to be the second highest vertical in the Laurentians. I guess they might want to try to convince people from Montreal to drive further North than the St.Sauveur Valley and all the other Laurentians areas closer to Montreal. Most of these are around 200 meters (600-700ft).

This was my first time back since I moved from Montreal 12 years ago. I remember that I liked this small mountain, although I wouldn't necessarily bother driving over 60 minutes (from MTL) to ski there. This place has changed and there is even a new mountain.

It had snowed maybe 2-3 inches of wet snow. The texture of the base (under the fresh snow) had been transformed by the rain. It was soft ice.

On this day Morgane realised that the greatest of the ski area doesn't necessarily increase with distance. Mt. Blanc is slightly more than 2 hours from Ottawa, pretty much 20 minutes from Tremblant. I guess we did a few 2-3 hours trips to many to places like Tremblant or Vermont (from Montreal).

As we started off some of the main steeps off the main face of Mont Blanc like Couloir, Mambo. As we went to the Faustin side, Morgane wanted to ski le Tigre trail under the lift which is listed as a double diamond run. :shock: You should have heard my daughter complain. "A Double Diamond, this trail IS a GREEN." She was of course exagerating, but she was discourage by the lack of challenge.

Mont Blanc isn't that bad, but I guess that after skiing two days at Mad River Glen two weeks ago, her perception of what is hard and steep has been altered forever. :eek:

When went exploring the new part of the hill (Mont Blanc Nord) which I had never skied. There was a few good runs expert runs.

Here are some quotes from their website:

http://www.ski-mont-blanc.com/eng/home.php#

WTF is Frankontour going on the homepage (the video)??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Best Value in the Mont Tremblant
& Laurentian Ski Region

You can have it all! Located just 75 minutes north of Montreal in the Mont Tremblant ski region, Mont Blanc has 40 trails and one of the region's highest verticals, a major ski school, and best of all - highly affordable rates! Ski the Laurentian's best kept secret! Oops! The secret's out! Canadians, Americans, international visitors - all welcome! Whether from around the world, or just the other side of Tremblant, your family will love to ski Quebec's 'white mountain'!

The 2nd Highest Mountain in the Laurentians
40 trails, 3 peaks and the Laurentians 2nd highest elevation, Mont Blanc is a formidable mountain for skiing and snowboarding. Skiers find Mont Blanc to have the best variety of ski terrain in Quebec, with glade skiing, 3 snowboard parks, moguls, and terrific hard packed snow on trails that range from begginner to double diamond expert.

:bs: :^o

How many ski areas exagerated their stats like snow accumulations or VERTICAL??? The first is hard to verify, but Vertical? My Suunto watch is generally pretty acturate. You don't even need an altimeter, find a topo map. The front side of Mont Blanc isn't more than 200 meters. WTF??? Mont Blanc has claimed for years that it was 300? I skied all side of the ski area, there is no long that the vertical is even close to 300 meters. The vertical for this area is approximately 200 meters which would make it roughtly the same as St-Sauveur. I guess some people figured that the area would be more attractive if you artificially inflate the number to 300. :x

Hey Patrick , wait unitl the kids have the grade 5 ski pass book then you can really add up the different ski areas for free :lol: . We just used ours( my third and last book ) and went over to Garceau ( St. Donat ) . Will post a report later.

In NY we have the Grade 4 ski for free.... My daughter skied for free the whole season.. It even worked for a free lift ticket at Deer Valley over the Feb break \:D/

You can tell Morgane that Adam has 73 areas at age 22. I can easily look up his life list and total by age when I get home.

Anthony":38giua4z said:
Hey Patrick , wait unitl the kids have the grade 5 ski pass book then you can really add up the different ski areas for free :lol:
I know, she's be in grade 5 next year. Unfortunately we've skied 6 of the 7 areas within a 2 hour radius from Ottawa. The jakepot would be skiing out of Montreal, I would just need to get her out of her music lesson on Saturday and go to visit grandma in Montreal on weekends. :-({|= :-$
Tony Crocker":38giua4z said:
"]You can tell Morgane that Adam has 73 areas at age 22. I can easily look up his life list and total by age when I get home.

Oops, I think she's up to 21 areas, I forgot counting Timberline. :mrgreen:

Adam's list by age (cumulative total):
Age 4: 9
Mt. Waterman
Mountain High
Mt. Baldy
Bear Mt.
Solitude
Park City
Deer Valley
Snowbird
Mammoth
Age 5: 12
Steamboat
Vail
Beaver Creek
Age 6: 13
Snow Summit
Age 7: 17
Ski Sunrise
Crested Butte
Telluride
Purgatory
Age 8: 20
Squaw Valley
Taos
Ski Apache
Age 9: 27
Kratka Ridge
Kirkwood
Sierra Ski Ranch
Alpine Meadows
Heavenly Valley
Brighton
Alta
Age 10: 30
June Mt.
Jackson Hole
Grand Targhee
Age 11: 33
Keystone
Breckenridge
Arapahoe Basin
Age 12: 40
Snow Basin
Winter Park
Copper Mt.
Treble Cone (N.Z.)
Cardrona (N.Z.)
Coronet Peak (N.Z.)
Harris Mt. Heli (N.Z.)
Age 13: 42
Whistler
Blackcomb
Age 14: 48
The Canyons
Castle Mt.
Fernie Snow Valley
RK Heliski
Lake Louise
Sunshine Village
Age 15: 54
Schweitzer
Red Mt.
Retallack Snowcat
Hood Meadows
Mt. Bailey Snowcat
Mt. Bachelor
Age 16: 57
Arizona Snowbowl
Wolf Creek
Monarch
Age 17: 58
Sugar Bowl
Age 18: 62
Big Mountain
Island Lake Snowcat
Tioga Pass
Virginia Lakes
Age 19: 67
Sherwin Bowl
Snowmass
Aspen Mt. (Ajax)
Aspen Highlands
Silverton
Age 20: 69
TLH Heliski
Las Lenas, Argentina
Age 21: 70
Northstar
Age 22: 73
Alyeska
Chugach Powder Guides Heli
Chugach Powder Guides Snowcat

Yes, That's true for the Mont Blanc vertical for both mountains. It's a big lie!!!!

Mont Blanc = 178 meters or 583 feets
Mont Faustin 199 meters or 652 feets

Check with GPS,topo card and altimeter.

Mont Saint-Sauveur in the lower Laurentians has a better vertical :D :D at 213 metres or 699 feets

Wake

Back