Stowe, VT 10/31/99

Wesley

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/1/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>If the early bird catches the fresh powder, what does the late bird get? <BR> <BR> <BR>About 1500 vertical feet of mush. <BR> <BR>It was Halloween. The day demanded silly behavior. Jumpin' Jimmy and I answered the call with a hike up Nosedive to the top of the quad at Stowe. We brought along telemark gear. We put on skis at the top and skied back down. <BR> <BR>It wasn't pretty, but it was fun. Those first three or four turns of Nosedive weren't quite worth it: might have been a better idea to <BR>stop climbing at the top of Slalom Glade, ski down a bit, then go up and do it again, but summits always beckon with promises of big vertical. <BR> <BR> <BR>Anyway, snow was wet, thick, and gloppy. A little much for my poor excuses for telemark gear and technique. Eventaully managed to crank a few desperate parallel turns. Wrenched my back. Jumpin' Jimmy wore his lightweight leather touring boots and had his share of troubles at the top, too, but looked much more convincing down below. <BR> <BR>Exhausting work. Four hours for one ski run. And worth every minute of pain.

Back