Whiteface, NY 11/20/99 Opening Day

Jimski

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/20/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Temperature was 52 at 9:00AM with only the valley triple chair in operation and trails Upper Valley and Lower Valley open. Surface was excellent and firm granular. There were not very many skiers there probably due to the impending rain and the warm and limited conditions. It was a great day until almost 2:00PM when the sprinkles started with a temperature of 64. I can't see them trying to remain open until more cold weather and snowmaking conditions are better. Some of the workers told me the delay might be a blessing in disguise due to the last minute rush to finalize the gondola implementation that was set back slightly from the earlier "accident". I think Eastern conditions are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/21/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>There is an On-line discounted lift ticket promotion @$29 if purchased before Dec. 12. This may take some of the sting out of the Warm weather conditions. Any word on when the 6 chair will open?

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/21/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>No idea on lift six. It's gotta get cold before they can make snow. They have to concentrate on excelsior to have a way down off the top of little Whiteface to get the gondola up and running since that is the big PR move at the moment. My guess is they will then focus on Mt. Run and Wilderness so they can claim expert terrain open and then the Boreen to give a second way down from Midstation and eventually get to six. Hopefully nature will assist with a couple of big dumps that will expedite things along. Until then we can only wait.

Back