Smuggler's Notch, VT 11/26/99 (Opening Day) and

Matt Duffy

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/28/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Opening Day <BR>----------- <BR> <BR>This is how good it was: <BR> <BR>When I was putting my skis on at the bottom of the Sterling Lift, I laughed out loud. A kid was getting ready to unzip his jacket while asking the lift attendant: "Do ya wanna see my pass?" The guy stood there, getting soaked in the rain, as he said to the kid: "No." <BR> <BR>A Smuggs employee was riding down on a lift chair when the kids in the chair in front of me tried to harrass him as their chairs met. One of them said to the employee: "You're going the wrong way, man!" He turned his head and retorted: "No I'm not, YOU ARE!!!" <BR> <BR>There was one way down, through the rain, from the top. The coverage was top to bottom; but nearing the bottom, it was certainly not side to side! Snow for the last 300 yards or so varied between 15 and 50 feet wide. Above that though, the coverage was side to side. Under a steady rain, all morning long, the snow was at least very soft. Making big, smooth swooping arcs was easy (and believe it or not, FUN) and was 2 steps better than no skiing at all. I stayed for 6-7 runs, then went home to sleep. <BR> <BR> <BR>11/28 <BR> <BR>Today, it was only 1 step above not skiing at all. The temp has dropped below freezing up there and all the rain-soaked snow has set up pretty solidly. There was actually a snow squall that lasted about 15 minutes, leaving a translucent frosting of white visible on the otherwise green and brown Madonna Mt. The snow guns were blaring on most of the trail and near <BR>them, the solidified groomer grooves were getting covered with some thick-but-not-sticky chalk. It was actually far better than the usual sludge that Smuggs blows on their trails. I was glad to see them making snow, but it would have been better if the snomaking crew was a little smarter about it. The guns were set at stupid angles for the most part. They were pointed too high and caking far more snow on the trees across the trail than they were on the trail itself. I don't mind snow blowing in my face if it's actually landing on a very needy trail!

Back