Loon mtn-tues-11/30 and wed 12/01

joe m

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/1/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>shot up to lincoln for the first day of our 6 month condo rental...please start snowing soon!!! picked up the el cheap season pass for loon w/ buddy gil on tuesday and gave it a shot. it was scary looking on the bottom... white haze over the brown grass on the lower half ( gondy side )... no snow at all on the west basin side. up loaded on the gondy to get to the double which was the only lift to access skiable. essentially 3 trails open off the top of the double... 2 blues, upper fox and upper picked rock and one (ahem) diamond, the lower half of angel street. that's it. probably the most varied terrain in one run that you will encounter...literally from legit packed powder to 4 inches of blown fake to crud to boilerplate and everything in between. wasn't bad till bout 1 then it started to get skied off. main problem was really bad visibility... the snow was blasting right off the guns at low angles and was caking on the goggles... definitely not for anyone but strong skiers. the whole region's kid racers showed up and it got pretty ridiculous...i give credit for trying to open though considering the lack of snow they have... no bumps anywhere ( just no snow for em ) let alone any sort of consistent lines. they were blowing fast and furious but curiously only on the trails that were open it appeared... it doesn't seem like they have a large capacity to make snow which i don't understand... i guess it could be environmental but i wish they would explain why to the public that they are not blowing on more sections... what ever... had to work on wed but just got the update from buddy gil who went back on wed morning... says it was better and more consistent but same basic trail count... speculated they may be top to bottom by friday...he bailed when kid racers showed up...one note: it appears that all who were there were season pass holders... it will be interesting to see if this thing works for them or whether they will be overwhelmed...the expansion would probably help

Back