Smuggler's Notch, VT 12/5/99

Matt Duffy

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/5/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>I learned a lesson yesterday by showing up at 10:00am on a Saturday with one trail open. They call it 4, but it's still one way down & it was a real zoo during mid-day hours yesterday. I took 3 runs and said "forget this" - I was disgusted by all the people sitting all over the trail, the multiple times I had to stop completely because of many people skiing together like flocks of geese, and having to wait 10 minutes in liftline so I could ski through that pinball machine. <BR> <BR>So today I showed up at 8:15 with hardly anyone there. There was still a lot of ultra soft corduroy and plenty of space to chew up with long, deep cruisin' carves. It was wet, spring snow with very warm temperures. The artificial snow is holding up very well, with great coverage on that one run. I stayed until about 10:30 when a crowd started to develop before I went home for lunch. <BR> <BR>I returned at 2:30 and the crowd had dissapated as I expected it would. I avoided a whole bunch of traffic by taking a well timed break; there were four long sections of big, soft, mashed potato moguls with some flat cruising in between. The bump lines were very sweet with waves of wet granular erupting continously in my face. For the last few lift rides, virtually everyone had left and all chairs both directions were empty for as far as I could see. Those 3 runs were the best as I had the trail pretty much to myself. By the end of the last pitch of moguls, my legs were burning a little and at 4:05, I had no choice but to chalk it up as a day very well spent.

Back