Smuggler's Notch, VT 12/7/99

Matt Duffy

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/8/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>We've hit rock bottom! I do believe so after spending 3 runs this morning in the most fowl, putred conditions I've seen yet. The mountain was cloaked by a thick grey shroud and the temperature was just below freezing. Visibility was about 20 feet and the snow was back to grooved pavement. It was not raining, but there was an omnipresent, low-hanging, "freezing mist" suspended in the air. The backs of the lift chairs had white, feathery ice crystals all over; as did the trees. At first glance, it looked like snow. The seats of all the chairs were glazed with ice that was getting thicker by the minute. When I got up from the chairs, the sound was like peeling duct tape off the roll. My jacket, pants, gloves & goggles were shiny and glazed. They crinkled and crunched each time I moved. I am Iceman! <BR> <BR>When skiing, the sound was maybe something like the grim reaper hacking away at sheet metal. I feel bad for anyone that had their vacations reserved for this week. There were a few such unlucky people like that up there. When I was riding & getting stuck to the lift, I saw 4 beginners on snowboards. The were not liking it. One of them was trying to make turns and falling painfully on the concrete. The other 3 simply skidded on their heel edges, for the entire time they were within earshot. What did that sound like? My hair was standing on end. It was like Freddy Kreuger running his metal claws down a chalkboard, in front of a microphone with the amp turned way up & speakers producing feedback. Ouch! My head is still ringing!

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/8/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>god that was a truthfull report! thanks for telling it like it is---ive had a couple ski trips to mountains with those kind of METAL conditions on the slopes--- <BR>the freezing mist and ice.the kinda conditions that put you in the lodge quick. <BR>one bad turn,you fall,and never swear so loud ever again! sorry this was a BULLETPROOF vest kind of day.........brian

Back