Smuggler's Notch, VT 12/21/99

Matt Duffy

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/22/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>You know your an eastern skier when rock solid frozen ice bumps are a welcomed improvement over the conditions you skied over the weekend... <BR> <BR>All that rain we got in the valley wwwwas: <...drumroll...> also rain in the mountains. Over the weekend and into Monday, the snow musta been softer in Vermont. Smugglers Alley was opened and it got bumped up very nicely. It wasn't groomed even after last nights rain/freeze and those moguls were still sizeable and most were aligned in a nice flowing rythym. They were pretty hard, but not nearly so as the trails at Mcloaf this weekend. It was possible to set an edge and feel it bite today. You could hear it from a mile away, but it was at least hackable. There was loose stuff kicking around on the backs and tops of all bumps, so well placed turns were the order of the day. Yes, I am truly an eastern skier. I skied solid moguls most of the day and LIKED IT! <BR> <BR>Another sign I was in the east: I had stopped at the bottom of the Alley and was looking up at these 2 very out of place teenagers. They struggled until one of them lost a ski. Of course, with the slick surface, the brake was useless and the ski slid about 50 feet before coming to a stop. So the kid took off his remaining ski to walk down to the other. Heehee, here's where I started laughing: He took one step and lost everything. His poles <BR>and ski went flying up in the air as he fell on his butt and started sliding. He tried to dig his heels in which cat

Back