Powder Ridge, CT, 12/22/99 Night Skiing

Dan Ellis

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/23/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>First a word of warning, this was only my seventh time skiing so take everything here with a pinch of salt. <BR> <BR>The wife and I decided to get some more practice in as preparation for our trip to Sugarbush in a couple of weeks. <BR> <BR>Powder Ridge was reporting open on four trail and as its only 30 minutes from our house we thought we would give it a go. <BR> <BR>We arrived at 6:30PM the lift ticket price was $18 each. Really there were only two trails open and two doubles, a large wide practice slope and a wide open straight down blue from the top of the mountain that was really only a green. <BR> <BR>Conditions were suprisingly good (I thought) they had the guns running everywhere, they were blasting out a really fine snow almost like sugar, the base was rock hard but there was a top surface of about and inch (and growing) of this sugary stuff making it edgable. <BR> <BR>Wife and I did several runs down Middlefield, a nice warm up as it wasnt too cold. Im only an intermediate and wife is beginner so it kept us occupied for a few hours, managed to get the wife to make her turns shorter and carve some good tight turns before the night was out, it was good that the run was rated blue as it got her confidence back up after a big accident at Mohawk a couple of weeks ago. <BR> <BR>They were blowing snow all over the mountain(?) so hopefully they might get some more terrain open soon.

Back