Bromley, VT 12/26/99

Jeff

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/28/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Again we arrived at 8:45 a.m. I was expecting a huge crowd on the day after Christmas, but it was quite moderate. My younger son's friend needed to rent skis, so I had anticipated a slow start. Instead we found a dozen employees in the rental shop helping two or three customers. Lift tickets were full priced, $47 for adults. Ouch! <BR> <BR>The snow was surprisingly good, considering that it was almost entirely man-made. As Jay Silveira observed at Sugarbush, the soft snow lasted longest on the low angle trails. There were three trails open from the summit: <BR> <BR>Corkscrew (the only black diamond open): Although it did not have real moguls, Corkscrew was becoming shapely. We made a couple runs down it before it got scraped off by noon. <BR> <BR>Twister (blue square): This trail is the principal route heading straight down from the top. Usually the upper portion gets icy in places and Sunday was no exception. <BR> <BR>Run Around #1 (green circle): This trail is the most interesting green circle trail I have encountered. It is only about 25 feet wide and <BR>circles around to the west of the other trails, offering spectacular views. Although it is never steep, it twists and turns, dips and rolls. We skied it straight down the middle, tucking most of the way. Run Around shoots <BR>you out onto Thruway, an intermediate trail with edgeable snow for carving nice GS turns down to the bottom. <BR> <BR>Several of the lower mountain novice and intermediate trails were open and had good man-made snow. The snow guns were running over on the steep east side trails, which were closed. <BR> <BR>As we were driving home, we saw far more vehicles with ski racks approaching the mountains than departing. I suppose that most folks stayed home over the Christmas weekend and headed up to ski Monday-Friday.

Back