Jay Peak, VT 12/30/99

Matt Duffy

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/31/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Oh man. I know how I’m going to end this one, but I don't know where to begin. Picture two drunken fools drinking expensive champagne out of 5 gallon buckets. With both hands, they tip the bottoms up and guh guh gulp with excesses of it foaming and running down their faces, necks and shoulders. Before they're done, they have taken a bath in it. Completely covered in the stuff, the most common utterances at the end of the day are "huh huh, heehee, hmmhuhhahaha!" Now you you’ve got the image & the idea. <BR> <BR>It started with us unloading from the first Tram ride of the day. I followed behind and got to see Jerm making his gleeful first powder turns on his shiny, fat, red skis. It made me relive my first such weightless revelations when I first got the very same skis. I could really relate, 'specially cause today I was using a pair that, heeheeeheeeheee, are, uh, pretty good in powder too. <BR> <BR>We were two kids playing in a freshly stocked candy store. 22-30 inches was the official report. Lotsa stuff had opened, other stuff was saved just for us. Many many soft soft soft lines of lightning bumps (or should I say puffs?) interrupted even more effortless, screamin' turns in two feet of untouched powder. We found untouched on Beaver Pond Glade. First tracks on Staircase. Virgin turns on Everglade. A blistering burst through Hells Woods. Overflowing first tracks down River Quai. I chased Jerm down through so many blazing & blurry tree runs I can’t remember them all. His blinding wake of high flying smokeout quickly taught me to: A. Back off. B. Pick a different chute. C. Try to get ahead of him (Just to keep up, you gotta be flying!) Sweet adrenaline was a rushing high, all day long. <BR> <BR>BTW- the liftline under the new quad was made with a huge, grotesque blasting; a ruining gash of a scar that effectively severed the steep head of Everglade. You now ski the top few verts of Everglade until you come to a 10 foot drop over some big, ugly boulders with a flat landing onto a wide McSuperhighway. To continue on Everglade, you cross the highway (not much traffic today, teehee) and find a barely passable route over and/or through more big ugly, blasted boulders. I'd imagine it would take 40 MORE inches of snow to cover all those rocks. 'Nuff a that though. We certainly didn't dwell at the time. <BR> <BR>We sighted plaid Dan Barron on his new 4x4's and met him atop the triple. The 3 of us gluttons went deep into Timbuktu for a powderventure. We found gobs of deep untracked in some very tight quarters. Kitz was next with it's wall to wall kapowder moguls and somewhere in there was another improvisational romp into some steep n deep & tight woods. <BR> <BR>Now for the proper ending… <BR> <BR>When we were riding the triple, Dan listened as Jerm started describing a monumental run that he and I had taken in the morning. He was getting all giggly and said something to the effect of "…it was a wide open, deep virgin powder run, you can’t imagine having so much untouched snow with that much room…". Dan grinned and said "Oh, I think I can remember something like that from a couple weeks ago…". I was sitting between them with a big, snow eating grin and a soft gloating "ah ha ha haaaa.." because I was there for both experiences. The latter was more freshly implanted in my mind and ahhhhh, it's still making me tingly. It was Can Am. We stole it. It's a pretty wide trail, which allowed the wind to take a lot of the snow from one side of the trail and deposit it on the other. The two other tracks before us veered to the side with less snow, leaving a liberating, steep, deep and great wide open. It was a whole lot of ALL OURS. We drank it up – no, we downed it in a mad fit of gluttony! It was soooo fast and so wwwwwwhhooshy! Just pfffff, pfffff, pffff, pffff, pffff… ohhh man, snow was flying up everywhere! After one turn I started yelling and after 3 that yell turned into a silent scream of screaming, lay-over turning, open up and say ahhhsome powder inhaling, effortless, gravity defying, extended play weightlessness all the way to the bottom. The spray we were kicking up must <BR>have made an enormous powdercloud behind us. At the bottom, as the dust settled, we looked at each other, and laughed ecstatically. We were tongue-tied and twisted. Jeremy said exactly what I was thinking. "That might have been the best run I’ve ever made!" <BR> <BR>WWWWOW! <BR> <BR> <BR>mpd

Back