Ski Windham, NY 1/8/00

Sean Mackey

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/10/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>I was hoping to be able to ski in some light clothing but it was colder than I expected. instead the temperatures never rose above 25ish and they were blowing snow all day. Most beginner to single black runs were open and we skied everything, twice. The runs under the main mountain quad became quite skied off in the middle, showing NY's version of the great eastern hard pack (Upper Wheelchair and Upper Whistler). The other runs were great to work on the turns for me and the wife (her first day out this year). It seemed the order of the day, after 10 am, was to use the sides of the trail, as the middle's became scratchy. <BR> <BR>The Why Not Triple Chair had the Why Not trail closed for a race. This meant that Wanderer was the only way down. We warmed up here, as this chair had no line. We then moved to the Wonderama triple for a few runs. The Park area was not built up but had great snow and a gentle pitch. After a few runs here we rode the Whirlwind quad a few times and settled for lunch at the Wheelhouse lodge. This is the place to have lunch, as we went in at just after 12 on a saturday and had our choice of tables. <BR> <BR>After lunch she went back to the wonderama triple and I tried out Wolverine, a diamond that was bumped up. Again I found the middle to be scratchy/icy so I kept to skiers right and found plenty of good sugar snow to ski. <BR> <BR>For a year such as this, not bad at all. Think snow.

Back