Cannon Mt., NH 1/11/00

Colin

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/11/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Optimist that I am, I took today off to ski, even after the torrential rain, snain, wet snow, and everything else that came down last night. I figured, I'll go north, thinking maybe Cannon had all snow, of course ignoring the fact that it never went below freezing there, either. <BR> <BR>Got a late start, arriving around 10, but that was to my benefit, because the surface was pretty much boilerplate on any groomed trail. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Cannon are two for $30, so how bad could it be? The temps were warm, which softened the surface as the day progressed, and the conditions improved as the morning went on. <BR> <BR>My first run I skied off the Tram, and there was only two ways down from both the Tram and the Express quad, which also goes to the summit. Like I said, any groomed trail was hard, but trails that were left alone all night were pretty sweet. Tramway was hard and noisy, except for along the edges of the trail, but Avalanche was untracked almost at 10:30, soft snow and softer bumps! There was about two inches of new snow there, which was a surprise after all the rain that fell. I did a couple laps down Avalanche by myself before anyone else made it there. I stayed around the Tram-accessed trails all day, only taking a few runs off the Peabody and Express chairs. Conditions there were hard all day as well, but around midday it began to snow, and get pretty foggy up top. By 2:00 there was about an inch or two of new, wet snow, which improved things everywhere. By the time I left, I was pretty wet and tired, but got some good bump runs in, and left pleasently sore.

Back