Loon Mt., NH 1/15-16/00

John

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/18/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>The traveling circus we call our family headed for the hills on MLK weekend. <BR>Accomodations were at the none too swanky Alpine Village condos in Woodstock <BR>NH, where nary a flake of fresh littered the ground. <BR> <BR>Loon 1/15. Awoke to frigid temps on Sat. The womenfolk and kids opted out <BR>of skiing and decided to spend the day lolling in the hot tub and pool -- <BR>probably not such a bad decision. -12 at base -6 at top. No wind to speak <BR>of. Rode the new Kancamagus quad, which originates at the Gov. Adams lodge <BR>and terminates a little above halfway up the hill, serving the intermediate <BR>terrain on the right side of the hill. Large crowd, but the quad limited <BR>the waits to the 5-10 minute range. It being Loon and all, every scrap of <BR>manmade on the hill was groomed. High speed, parallel tele cruisers were <BR>the order of the morning. <BR> <BR>Moved on up to the double and triple that serve the East peak area. I <BR>dislike the look and feel of Walking Boss and Flume, the two expert/interm. <BR>trails to skiers right from the top. Too wide, no character, too many <BR>people. In addition, they were blowing mondo snow on Flume. Way too sticky <BR>for my unwaxed boards. Made for a herky/jerk torture run. Angel Street, <BR>another "expert" run from the East peak, was a little improvement. It too <BR>was groomed, but it was a little steeper and had none of that sticky stuff. <BR>Views from the top were fantabulous. A panorama of snow-topped peaks set <BR>against a cloudless sky of deep blue. <BR> <BR>Loon 1/16. Snowing heavily at sunrise and snow continued heavy all morning. <BR>(Total for day about 10" at top.) We opted for a half-day/afternoon thing, <BR>scoring decent parking in the lot near the quad as the morning people split <BR>for home. <BR> <BR>Got to ski the pow for about two hours, which ended up being a good number <BR>of runs as I rode the chairlifts solo. New snow really changes the <BR>complexion of Loon. Everything had little bumps and the whole mountain was <BR>a blast. Hit some nice knee-deep in a gully on the right side of Angel St. <BR>It was mostly snow that had been pushed off the center of the trail, but it <BR>was still suprisingly light and it was the highlight of the weekend. <BR> <BR>Discovered some really swell intermediate terrain (Flying Fox / Picked <BR>Rock?) off the quad. Nice Tree-lined cruisers with plenty of dips, rolls, <BR>and turns and really not that wide. Saw tracks going into the trees where <BR>they have cut some new tree skiing areas. Way too bony for me, but the bad <BR>boyz/girlz are keeping the faith. <BR> <BR>Stopped at 1:30 and put my little guy (4 1/2) in some lessons; saw the <BR>value of the much maligned Magic Carpet (aka Satan's treadmill). Say what <BR>you will but for the rank beginner, this device puts the focus on learning <BR>to ski and takes it off learning to ride the surface lift. In this <BR>situation, it seems to have way more positives than negatives going for it. <BR>After the lesson, we moved to the platterpull. Warren Miller could shoot <BR>reels of footage here. What a show. People being dragged, people being <BR>flipped, people being hit in the butt with the platter and then biffed on <BR>the face with it. On and on and on. Tried to get #1 son to work on wedge. <BR>He refuses. He's decided to go right to his own brand of <BR>semi-wedge-christie-parallel turns as means of slowing down. So...what the <BR>heck. Up and down we go. He turns right, he turns left. Where did he <BR>learn this -- not me. The better half must be stepping out on me with an <BR>Austrian ski instructor. Way good time. Nothing like watching the little <BR>one get the fever. We didn't stop to eat or go warm up because IT WAS TOO <BR>MUCH FUN SKIING. <BR> <BR>Conclusions: Loon does several things great -- grooming (if you like that <BR>stuff), intermediate terrain, snowmaking, customer service (I never saw more <BR>resort people help struggling skiers with their equipment than I did this <BR>weekend). Doesn't seem like much of a place for the rad squad, although the tree <BR>action has not been fully investigated.

Back