Loon mtn, mon 1/17 - attitash, nh, tues 1/18 - stowe mtn, we

joegm

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/20/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>it's pretty obvious that it was cold everywhere, so w/ that in mind: <BR>loon on monday, -6 at summit, -8 at base, probably went up to around zero at the peak of the day...super dry low water content packed down 10 inches from previous day...all trails open except triple trouble...still no bumps... lots of fake being made on flume... no trees yet either...a wind packed cord everywhere...very little ice... <BR>attitash on tuesday: supposed to me a friend at shawnee peak, he is a slacker and said he would be there at noon... buddy gil and i got there at 8 to scope out the scene... we were gone by 8:15... the summit lift they have had broke the day before and they said they would " try to get it opened " by 10. that statement along w/ their claim boasting of a 3 oclock groom and not a bump in site, prompted the ol' " see ya ". buddy gil maintained that wildcat still has not gotten enough snow to stop packing it down and the ski patroller who told us last week that they needed 15 more to open the goods, prompted us to head back to lincoln and ski for free on the cheap season pass, thinking that there was really no skiable bumps anywhere close... stopped at attitash just to take a peak and found them advertising 2 bump runs, one at bear peak and one at attitash...threw down the cash and were loading at bear peak by 10. groomed windpacked powder on all trails except trilium at bear and councilors at attitash. a little deceptive since the attitash bump run is a green dot and bear's was a blue...both about 700 feet in length...a little warmer, about 5 at the base and not much wind... the decision looked like a waste of money but right after lunch we found a trail called quiver... blk diamond about 18 ft wide... untouched 10 inches apparently from the weekend...we couldn't figure out how it went untouched but stopped trying after face shot #1. skied this trail for the duration of the day...side note: good; the place was empty <BR>bad: it's an overrated mountain for anyone looking for challenge <BR>stowe: great day, cold -4 at base, best snow yet all season... groomed packed pow except follow: star, skiable from national cut over, national, great bumps up top, little harder on bottom, lookout, lot of snow more than i thought...no acess to tres amigo's tree's so no real glade report but glades down by chaple appeared to have a good 3 feet in em... goat still not open and chin clip was closed. great day though... probably best yet. <BR> <BR>open steeps were star, via national cutover , national, lookout, and centerline, all nice bumps except centerline...hayride, chinclip and goat were not open... top of star needs a good 18 to open...gondolier and p merril perfect g.s flyers...they were blowing hard on top of national and a few of the blues off the quad, left side riding...trees off the triple on riders left were nice, short though...i think you could get to the tres amigos but the back side off the quad was closed so w/ our mission being to bump we focused on star and lookout.

Back