Wachusett Mt., MA 1/26/00

Dana

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/26/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Seems like WaWachusett fell just to the wrong side of the line. Whereas towns to the north of the Quabbin got 15"+, Wachusett got a good 8"+ before it turned to rain :-( Still, it's the best skiing there so far this season. <BR> <BR>They groomed the 3 summit trails early, way too early, turning the sweet cut-up fluff into a thick mousse (or is that pap? :), but seeking out the quieter darker corners I managed to find some untracked as late as 9:00. It was that familiar creme-brulee' of tasty rain crust atop a smooth heavy cream pudding- not the most forgiving, but rewarding when the technique was right! <BR> <BR>According to my moles, there's now a "zero tolerance policy" regarding tree skiing at WaWa, whatever that means. (My legal theory is that since XC skiing is allowed within the park, and the ski area _must_ allow skiing on the roads, independent of whether or not the skier has a lift ticket, skiing off piste between road cuts must be allowed, as long as the skier enters and leaves the woods from a road cut, not a ski trail. Use discretion of course, no need to test the theory unless you _have_ to! :) Seems strange to have a policy like this, which remains unwritten, unposted, unstated... Up to now it's seemed more like a "Don't ask, don't tell" approach, but it's a <BR>political hot potato what with the environmental lobby sueing the state over approval of the expansion plan (!) and the gross faux pas committed by the ski area in the past. <BR> <BR>But I digress-

Back