Monthly Ski Streaks Living in the East

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby salida » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:22 pm

Guess Patrick got his 25th month!

Right on, I for one whole heartedly support this streak.

porter
User avatar
salida
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:39 am
Location: LCC

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 am

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick disputes admin's and my contention that his level of addiction is greater than ours?????

Tony Crocker wrote:
When I was visiting admin in SLC, we agreed that Patrick's level of addiction was even worse than ours

I rest my case.

Does anyone here know another eastern ski streaker? Much less one who lives in Ottawa, not Vermont?
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Frankontour » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:14 am

I remember your very first post on FTO Patrick. You said that my ski day with 4 mountains hiked (april 25, 2003, after season's end) was the crazyiest thing you ever heard from a skier of the East coast.

Let me tell you that today, with your 25th ski month in a row (living on the east coast) and with your SINGLE DAY trip in Colorado for skiing, this is EXTREMELY LARGELY the craziest thing I've ever heard from a skier of the East coast :wink:
User avatar
Frankontour
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:41 pm
Location: Laval/Montreal - QC - Avatar : La Réserve : The Boisé in the fresh pow

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby ChrisC » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:08 pm

I like how Patrick hunts for July East Coast snow.

To me, the October skiing seems completely rational comparatively.
User avatar
ChrisC
 
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:00 am
Location: San Francisco Photo: La Grave, France

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:54 pm

If he knew Patrick's budget and family circumstances, ChrisC might flip his views of the July and October skiing.

I'm a lightweight by comparison. I faced the same decision point (fly to Denver for a WROD to get past 12 months) in October 2005 and decided to pass. Living in SoCal I would have to do that nearly every October to maintain a streak, so I decided not to start down that road.

Patrick will actually get a few cheap eastern turns in October in half or maybe a bit more of seasons. But I also think there are many years (like 2006) where he will have to fly away twice to get July-September.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:07 am

Way to go Pat! Pursue your dream, even if friends (including me) tell you that you are nuts! Cause you are :wink:
Ski free or die
User avatar
Lucky Luke
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Bromont, Qc avatar: Terrace B.C.

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:45 am

I can see following skibum4ever's retiree lifestyle and contemplating a streak then. Hit the road for some of the national parks in the fall and catch the October Colorado skiing at the end of that.

There's also the Bob Peters Euro vacation method with a day or two of glacier skiing. I predict Patrick will try this one out before too long :wink: .
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks EMCS, it’s been great to make some turns with you. However I’m disappointed by Tony’s response. I wasn’t the only skier from Ontario making turns at A-Basin on Monday, there was a number of us on the slopes.;)

skibum4ever wrote:Hey people, we've been having a lot of fun out here in CO. (...)
It may not be mid-winter packed powder, but it is real skiing and a great way to work on our ski legs. And besides that we're having a GREAT time - smiles all around. :D


Skibum4ever is right on.

Tony Crocker wrote: I rest my case.


Tony, please refer to this following discussion. I also need to add Frank's TR from St.Bruno and the one from DD at Jay a few weeks ago.

Crazy, Who's Crazy??? discussion from last June.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=3234

I still don’t think that I’m the only one nut around here. The craziest? It’s a matter of opinion. I could have save some money and continued my streak within a 5 minute walk from my place. There are mountains of snow from the ice rink and a slope on the edge of an overpass. That snow wasn’t melting last week and there would have been enough for a 30-40 feet slope. I’ve seen some boarders build jumps with that snow in the past.

Chris C wrote:I like how Patrick hunts for July East Coast snow.

To me, the October skiing seems completely rational comparatively.


Thanks for the support Chris.

Tony Crocker wrote:If he knew Patrick's budget and family circumstances, ChrisC might flip his views of the July and October skiing.


What is my budget? Without getting into personal details here, I can tell you that this trip is going to cost me less than the 2 day portion we did together in Chile. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chile - 2 days / 2 nights. Tourist tour transportations to Val Paraiso en route to Santiago and one day of cat-skiing + meals.

Colorado - 4 days/3 nights. 3 days skiing, plane ticket (on points), drive from Denver to Vail through the Canyon near Glenwood and onto Aspen, car rental, meals and taxi to the airport in Ottawa.

We could also breakdown the cost by vertical. In two and one half days in Colorado, I've gotten 17,100 meters vertical. Ah yes, you can't compare the conditions with the cat-skiing vertical quality? Remove the last run at El Arpa and those first 3 runs snow quality sucked compared to what we've been skiing here.

As someone that has never been to Colorado, I’ve really enjoyed this trip and the cost made sense.

BTW, EMSC and I saw the Ski Day Streak guys. Same speed as in Timberline, off the lift and gone down over and over and over. A real energeizer bunny.

Back on the budget, the turning point is when one co-worker bought a package to see Céline Dion in Las Vegas for 4 days/3 nights with only plane, hotel, concert for almost triple the price PER PERSON of my trip. :)

Frankontour wrote:I remember your very first post on FTO Patrick. You said that my ski day with 4 mountains hiked (april 25, 2003, after season's end) was the crazyiest thing you ever heard from a skier of the East coast.


Wrong, that was my 3rd post on FTO. My first post was this one was a few years earlier, I had forgotten about it.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... ght=#20048

Frankontour wrote:Let me tell you that today, with your 25th ski month in a row (living on the east coast) and with your SINGLE DAY trip in Colorado for skiing, this is EXTREMELY LARGELY the craziest thing I've ever heard from a skier of the East coast


3 DAYS :D

salida wrote:Guess Patrick got his 25th month!

Right on, I for one whole heartedly support this streak.


YEAH!!!! Looking forward to read about your adventures, as always.

Tony Crocker wrote:I'm a lightweight by comparison. I faced the same decision point (fly to Denver for a WROD to get past 12 months) in October 2005 and decided to pass. Living in SoCal I would have to do that nearly every October to maintain a streak, so I decided not to start down that road.


WROD? If this is WROD, you've never skied WROD. :roll: These conditions aren't crappy. Much better than I initially expected.

Tony Crocker wrote:Patrick will actually get a few cheap eastern turns in October in half or maybe a bit more of seasons. But I also think there are many years (like 2006) where he will have to fly away twice to get July-September.


You’re wrong on both counts Tony.

October
Frank mentioned that he had October turns in 4 of the last 5 season. Out of which, he only crossed the US border once. Oh yes, I forgot, he’s nuts. Crazier than me? Never. All this and he doesn't have a ski streak going. :roll:

July
I didn’t need to fly in July 2006, I just wanted to return to Mammoth on that record year and be there for the July 4th closing. However there were some July 4th Eastern turns that we’re made at Tuckerman Ravine. Check out these youtube videos from other crazy folks from T4T. I'm I crazier than Harkin Banks and PWDR8S???

Here is a sample of there craziest on July 4th in the EAST.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o6pZAer33DY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o6pZAer33DY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctyGQNHBs7Q&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctyGQNHBs7Q&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBILBE1o7CA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBILBE1o7CA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0yEGvijKXY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0yEGvijKXY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I still believe that a Ski Streak can be done in the East with only one flight trip per year. As for me, 24 was to young to die for this streak, especially after getting #22 in July. I was ready to have it end at month 13 (October 06) or 22 (July 07), but not so close to the new season. Not sure where it will end.

To finish this long reply started many miles away, I think it’s only fitting the quote mister Ski Streak myself, Endless Season. This is what he had to say my trip to Colorado on TGR. I believe that Endless was also a member on FTO? ;)

Endless Season wrote:If continuing your streak adds spring to your step, or provides that extra something that makes living just a little bit sweeter, then don't hesitate: keep it up.

What else were you going to do with the money or time? Were you planning on doing anything more personally rewarding?


Although I'm tired today, this has definitely added a spring to my step.
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby jasoncapecod » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:14 pm

Patrick, being married with two girls too, your real genius is in your ability to convince your wife to let you take these trips. Many kudos to you .
User avatar
jasoncapecod
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:30 am
Location: NEW YORK

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:26 pm

I second jasoncapecod's comment.

I can tell you that this trip is going to cost me less than the 2 day portion we did together in Chile
No. There is an opportunity cost to using points. Probably about $400 for 25,000.

I understand Patrick's comments about the cat skiing in Chile. I've had 27 days cat skiing, and there are no guarantees of conditions. Recall that I spent nearly $2,000 for 3 days of cat skiing in heinous conditions after the January 2005 Tropical Punch. And in that season I scored powder on most of my cheap drive-up Sierra trips.

Cat skiing will always be very expensive relative to lift service, though Arpa is cheap compared to Canada. The Chile trip should be considered as a whole anyway. My hat is off to Patrick there. He gave it 2 weeks, got around a lot, and I think his 2 powder days at Chillan more than offset any subpar conditions he got elsewhere.

Like Patrick I am a sucker for "new ski experiences." I think Arpa was much more a new experience than October manmade in Colorado, but that's just me.

In assessing the viability of maintaining a ski streak from the East, I did conjecture that you could get October at least half the time, though I'm not sure it would be as high as 80%. Is July at Tucks over 50% and how much over? In order to avoid a second high cost trip you must get both July and October at home. That's no better than 50% (assumes 70% for each).

Patrick and I share many aspects of ski obsession. When you're in the position, "I just have to do this for one month, then I'll get 7 or 8 more after that," I can understand how the pull might be irresistable. I was looking for an excuse in October 2005 and didn't quite come up with one.

I view the ski streak somewhat like my own vice of counting vertical. Worth thinking about, but don't let the tail wag the dog. I won't rack vertical on groomers if there's more interesting terrain/snow available. Similarly, will 3 the October days in Colorado reduce your chances of spending the same number of days and less $ to join Riverc0il on short notice for a 2+ foot midwinter Vermont dump? If not, go for it!
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby salida » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:57 pm

Patrick, I'm psyched that you did this, and it looks like you had a blast. Which is really what it is all about.

As Tony said, we'd best see you done in Vermont in the upcoming months!
User avatar
salida
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:39 am
Location: LCC

Re: re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby DD Powder » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:49 pm

Patrick wrote:I still believe that a Ski Streak can be done in the East with only one flight trip per year.


I couldn’t agree more. You can almost always find something in October in the East if you know where to look and are dedicated enough. Whether it’s on man made after the first snow gun tests of the season, early snow in the northern Greens/Whites or the Autoroad turns can be made. Like Frank I have also had 4 out of the last 5 Octobers in the East.

July snow is also pretty much a sure bet in Tucks, albeit sketchy with very little vertical most of the time. So with a well planned trip elsewhere at the end of August/beginning of September you are set.

I am still waiting for that huge May in Tucks to provide a few August turns (It’s happened before) followed by a late September upslope at Jay. I’m holding out hope for a turns all year in the East. Crazier things have happened.
User avatar
DD Powder
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 pm
Location: North Andover, MA Avatar - Labrador May 2006

Re: re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby salida » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 pm

DD Powder wrote:I am still waiting for that huge May in Tucks to provide a few August turns (It’s happened before) followed by a late September upslope at Jay. I’m holding out hope for a turns all year in the East. Crazier things have happened.


It sure has happened before. If I'm not mistaken there have even been year round turns (summer of 69, like the song) in tucks in some long ago winters (68-69), according to some of the old timers I've talked with.

Mount Washington had 566 inches of snow that season. That winter also recorded monthly max snowfall in November (86.6 in), December (103.7 in) and February (172.8 in). I'm looking at a picture on page 20 of the Journal of the New England Ski Museum (Summer 05, Issue 63) showing the based of the catapult chair at Wildcat completely buried from those snows.
User avatar
salida
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:39 am
Location: LCC

re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby DD Powder » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:52 pm

This is starting to get a little off topic but yeah I always wondered if there was enough snow around in September 69 for skiing in Tucks. In the recent past I know that people got out in August 97 after that 100 inch may.

September turns in Tucks equivalent to what the last few Julys have been like were possible according to this pic from 1861!
User avatar
DD Powder
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 pm
Location: North Andover, MA Avatar - Labrador May 2006

Re: re: Loveland Colorado 10/28/07

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:36 am

Tony Crocker wrote:There is an opportunity cost to using points. Probably about $400 for 25,000.


There is an opportunity missed into not using points also. The new policy is closer to "use them or lose them". :shock:

Aeroplan (Air Canada) has set a 7 year expiration date on their points last year. I've been accumulating points on flights with Air Canada (and partners) and the now defunt Canadian Airlines (and their partner) in 15 years. Never used or had the opportunity in using their points.

Tony Crocker wrote:Like Patrick I am a sucker for "new ski experiences." I think Arpa was much more a new experience than October manmade in Colorado, but that's just me.


Yes, I agree about the new experiences and Arpa was one of them. However I don't have any regrets at all with this Colorado trip. The cost of it was minimal when compare to other expenses, the exploration and the skiing.

Colorado is like a combo of Laurentians ski area commercialism with real mountains.

Tony Crocker wrote:In assessing the viability of maintaining a ski streak from the East, I did conjecture that you could get October at least half the time, though I'm not sure it would be as high as 80%. Is July at Tucks over 50% and how much over? In order to avoid a second high cost trip you must get both July and October at home. That's no better than 50% (assumes 70% for each).


I think that July at Tucks was fairly easier in the past, especially if I compare with the low snow coverage that was at Tuck in May 06.

Tony Crocker wrote:Patrick and I share many aspects of ski obsession. When you're in the position, "I just have to do this for one month, then I'll get 7 or 8 more after that," I can understand how the pull might be irresistable.

Exactly. Plus Colorado was new for me, regardless of the season.

Tony Crocker wrote:Similarly, will 3 the October days in Colorado reduce your chances of spending the same number of days and less $ to join Riverc0il on short notice for a 2+ foot midwinter Vermont dump? If not, go for it!


There is also the fact that I was able to take time off from work now, this Winter I might not have the green light to take off. So better "go when you can" attitude prevails here.

Tony Crocker wrote:There's also the Bob Peters Euro vacation method with a day or two of glacier skiing. I predict Patrick will try this one out before too long

Ah, you are wise Tony. I definitely need to think about places that run lifts in July, August and September. :P Just in case. :wink:

salida wrote:Patrick, I'm psyched that you did this, and it looks like you had a blast. Which is really what it is all about.


I'm psyched just going it. Psyched as a powder day at MRG. Psyched as your favorite sport team victory. Hard to explain. The quote from Endless reflect how I feel about it. \:D/

salida wrote:As Tony said, we'd best see you done in Vermont in the upcoming months!


$1 CDN = $1.06 US - this morning. I'll be down in Vermont for sure, however again, my abilities to take time off is out of my control. Now I was able to take 2 days off, don't know for sure about this Winter. Well see when we get there. However the priority (although I would love to down to the US) is hoping to team up with Lucky Luke ski trip out in BC.

DD Powder wrote:July snow is also pretty much a sure bet in Tucks, albeit sketchy with very little vertical most of the time. So with a well planned trip elsewhere at the end of August/beginning of September you are set.


That's how I see it.

DD Powder wrote:I am still waiting for that huge May in Tucks to provide a few August turns (It’s happened before) followed by a late September upslope at Jay. I’m holding out hope for a turns all year in the East. Crazier things have happened.


Check the old post on FTO (2001?). Chromer and Lftgly have done it in August. :shock: They also posted pics.

salida wrote:It sure has happened before. If I'm not mistaken there have even been year round turns (summer of 69, like the song) in tucks in some long ago winters (68-69), according to some of the old timers I've talked with.


You could ask Lftgly, he would probably know. I was under the impression that year-round turns at Mt.Washington were much more recent. There is a post here somewhere where Lftgly (I think) mentioned the guy that skied x consecutive months on Mt. Washington.

DD Powder wrote:This is starting to get a little off topic


This wouldn't be the first time. There was a discussion on a Killington ski report back in 2003 that had something like 145 replies. Let's just say, that we went off on a tangent with that one. :roll: :lol:
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Next

Return to Eastern North America

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use

cron