Monthly Ski Streaks Living in the East

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

re: Monthly Ski Streaks Living in the East

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:44 am

I have the Mt. Washington data and 1968-69 is definitely an outlier season. The 97 inches in May 1997 was quite unusual too.

Another thought for you die-hards: Does the snow in the Chic-Chocs last longer than in the Presidentials? I suspect summer weather is substantially cooler (latitude and ocean proximity) in the Chic-Chocs.

I speculated that the odds of getting both July and October in the East were about 50%. While that may be a bit pessimistic, the fact remains that Patrick took two fly-away trips in both low seasons of his streak so far.

In winter 2006 Patrick had the 2 weeks in Montana/Wyoming/Utah but last year never left the East. If streak-maintaining trips are substituting for winter destination trips West or to the Alps, that's the tail wagging the dog IMHO. I'm pleased to hear that Luke will likely drag Patrick off to some remote B.C. pow this winter.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Re: re: Monthly Ski Streaks Living in the East

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Another thought for you die-hards: Does the snow in the Chic-Chocs last longer than in the Presidentials? I suspect summer weather is substantially cooler (latitude and ocean proximity) in the Chic-Chocs.

I spent sometime on researching this possibility last year. I was told by a local that there was possible snow in July, however the remaining would have in the "restricted areas only." Mt. Washington was the easiest option.

Tony Crocker wrote:I speculated that the odds of getting both July and October in the East were about 50%. While that may be a bit pessimistic, the fact remains that Patrick took two fly-away trips in both low seasons of his streak so far.

I could have gamble and waited for snowmaking operations to start (a few die hards skied at Kmart on October 29-30 + Frank at St-Bruno) or gone on the October 13-14 weekend to Jay like DD Powder, however the forecast had turned and I was hoping for better conditions. But I could have made it in October without flying, however I preference was Colorado over marginal conditions.

Tony Crocker wrote:In winter 2006 Patrick had the 2 weeks in Montana/Wyoming/Utah but last year never left the East. If streak-maintaining trips are substituting for winter destination trips West or to the Alps, that's the tail wagging the dog IMHO. I'm pleased to hear that Luke will likely drag Patrick off to some remote B.C. pow this winter.

The 2005-06 season (first season of this streak) involved 3 trips out West, hardly the tail wagging the dog. [-X

In 2006-07, I cancelled one trip out West and went to Chile. IF the streak was the only factor, it would have been cheaper just to go for one week trip out West or one ski day in Colorado, n'est-pas?

In 2007-08, Lucky isn't draging me. :P Never been out West with him, this would definitely be a blast, however I STILL need to get a number of green lights (as for the other trips) in order to make this happen. :?
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:54 pm

The 2005-06 season (first season of this streak) involved 3 trips out West, hardly the tail wagging the dog.
2 of the 3 western trips were low season for the streak.

In 2006-07, I cancelled one trip out West and went to Chile.
This also sounds like favoring the streak, but as I recall the events were independent. The western trip was cancelled for work/family schedule conflicts, and when time was available in September, Patrick grabbed it.

Perhaps Patrick's work/family schedule inadvertently plays into the streak by constraining him more than he'd like in the winter; thus he has more time and $ available in summer.

I can relate. When I met my ex-wife in 1982, we wanted to do an exotic ski trip. Since she was a teacher we couldn't do it during prime northern ski season, so we went to New Zealand when she was off work.

After skiing August/September in 1982 I did note that I might ski every month of the year, but it did not occur to me then to try to make it consecutive. July at Mammoth was no problem in the huge 1983 season. When I went to a business meeting in Boston in late October 1988, my ex knew right away what I was going to do afterward.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby skibum4ever » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 pm

There is nothing I can add to all this discussion. Today was another great day at the Basin with 3 inches new snow to make it a bit smoother. Tomorrow we will conquer the WR of Keystone as they are opening a week early just for us. :D

We count our # of days skied, count our vertical, rate each day on a 1-10 scale. So far we have about 20 million vertical feet rated at about 8.0 overall. Our motto is "ski 'til death" and hope that after that, we get more endless light powder. We'll let St. Peter do all the calculations. Some of us will ski in the lightest and deepest powder and some of us will watch our skis melt on the molten lava. :twisted:

BTW, we rate ever vertical foot that we skied with Patrick as a 10. There's nothing better than doing something with a friend who loves it as much as you do. :wink:
skibum4ever

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:
The 2005-06 season (first season of this streak) involved 3 trips out West, hardly the tail wagging the dog.
2 of the 3 western trips were low season for the streak.

COME ON TONY, give me a break. There is NO way I could have added another ski vacation week in prime season of that season and still having a job. I took 3 weeks in prime ski season (2 weeks West + 1 week Spring Break + odd days). :roll:

Tony Crocker wrote:
In 2006-07, I cancelled one trip out West and went to Chile.
This also sounds like favoring the streak, but as I recall the events were independent. The western trip was cancelled for work/family schedule conflicts, and when time was available in September, Patrick grabbed it.

Chile has been on a list of things I wanted to do...I just did it regardless of the streak. I recall a one person told me a few years ago not to spend that money out West, but head to South America instead. That is viable option, streak or not.

Tony Crocker wrote:Perhaps Patrick's work/family schedule inadvertently plays into the streak by constraining him more than he'd like in the winter; thus he has more time and $ available in summer.

Not only Patrick's. :roll: Some people only have 2-3 weeks vacations (I have a bit more), I might not have taken one week vacation out West last year in prime season, but look at the number of days off I took during the Winter: 1 week at Christmas plus an odd 7 days on weekdays. Days on some of these where the skiing was second to none, regardless where they occured. The fact that I didn't go out West means absolutely nothing here, I got my days elsewhere (and not crappy days).
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:38 pm

So far we have about 20 million vertical feet
Impressive. I'm at 16 million, several years behind you. I have notes and stats for every ski day but have not assigned ratings. I do have a short "Hall of Fame List" that currently contains 18 days. Patrick was around for one of those, Jan. 29, 2006 at Jackson Hole.

Now that I recall, Southland Ski Server required a rating from 1-10 on each report. I was sparing in handing out 10's, but Mammoth ratings probably averaged between 8 and 9. SoCal local ratings probably averaged 7 and were rarely below 6. If I judged that SoCal local would be worse than that, I probably wasn't out there.

Another reason to salvage the Southland archives.

1 week at Christmas .....and not crappy days
I think that was a contradiction in terms last year in the East. I don't want to reconstruct Patrick's entire season, but I do have a vague impression that he was skiing consistently through all of it, rather than figuring out a way to ski more during the epic 2 months from mid-February to mid-April. This is a key area of "skiing philosophy" where Patrick and I differ.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Re: re: Monthly Ski Streaks Living in the East

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:04 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:
1 week at Christmas .....and not crappy days
I think that was a contradiction in terms last year in the East. I don't want to reconstruct Patrick's entire season, but I do have a vague impression that he was skiing consistently through all of it, rather than figuring out a way to ski more during the epic 2 months from mid-February to mid-April. This is a key area of "skiing philosophy" where Patrick and I differ.

Yes, Christmas period was pretty crappy, but I did take that week + another 7 days during the Winter months.

Here are 4 of those vacation days right here...(I don't think I made reports for the other 3, 2 of them at MRG).

Jan 30
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=2732

Feb 15-16
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=2854

Here's one for Frank - Jan 29
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=2735

Ah yes, I forgot, you might not have noticed but the biggest storm with the exception of that Valentine's Day one, all hit during the weekend or Holidays (i.e. Easter).
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Just some interesting numbers I dug out for you Tony, so you can't really say that I'm being conservative with this streak.

Over the last 25 months.
Total days: 117
Total ski areas: 40
States, Provinces and Countries: 9, 2, 3
Trip requiring flights: 5

Skied for the first time in the months of October, July, August and September.
Skied for the first time in 20 ski areas.
Skied for the first time in 5 US states and 1 country.
Patrick

Re: Monthly Ski Streaks Living in the East

Postby Patrick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Bump for an update...

Over the last 100 months.
Total days: 462
Total ski areas: 88
States, Provinces and Countries: 12, 3, 8
Trip with flights: 14

Skied for the first time in the months of October, July, August and September.
Skied for the first time in 56 ski areas.
Skied for the first time in 7 US states and 3 countries.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:31 am

The title of this thread is most appropriate. Most of the westerners who do this have have accessible summer backcountry snow within drive distance (Bob Peters and the turns-all-year.com people in the PNW). Probably a few Euros with the glaciers skiing too.

I still contend that it is quite likely Patrick is the only person who has attained 100 consecutive ski months while living entirely in eastern North America. He is more than welcome to research this and prove me wrong. Somebody in the ski media should be interested in writing a feature article about this.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Marc_C » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 am

There really should be some kind of limiting parameters around this (pointless?) pursuit. After all, it's easy for anyone to ski every month of the year for as many years as they care to provided they have the resources - time and $$$$ - to do so. No snow locally in September? Grab a flight to Zermatt and ski the Matterhorn glacier. Sure, it'll cost you several grand, but you keep your unbroken streak going. Simple.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Patrick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Marc_C wrote:There really should be some kind of limiting parameters around this (pointless?) pursuit. After all, it's easy for anyone to ski every month of the year for as many years as they care to provided they have the resources - time and $$$$ - to do so. No snow locally in September? Grab a flight to Zermatt and ski the Matterhorn glacier. Sure, it'll cost you several grand, but you keep your unbroken streak going. Simple.

Always so positive Marc. Ah yes, my income is probably more limited that many of you, however I prefer to use my money on travel, skiing and music versus material stuff that is pointless in my eyes. It is in fact simple.

Tony Crocker wrote:The title of this thread is most appropriate. (...)
I still contend that it is quite likely Patrick is the only person who has attained 100 consecutive ski months while living entirely in eastern North America. He is more than welcome to research this and prove me wrong. Somebody in the ski media should be interested in writing a feature article about this.

I believe you're the one that created the Thread Title when it was split off. I was actually going search about ski streaks when it brought back to this one thread. Someone asked me on Zski if 100 was close to a record in which I replied that Ron Cram and a bunch of others have been going it for way longer than me. Then I mentioned the ski day streak guy that stopped at 2993 days.

About people living in the East, I'm sure that they are others like ski instructor, coaches, racers, freelancers, etc.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Marc_C » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Patrick wrote:
Marc_C wrote:There really should be some kind of limiting parameters around this (pointless?) pursuit. After all, it's easy for anyone to ski every month of the year for as many years as they care to provided they have the resources - time and $$$$ - to do so. No snow locally in September? Grab a flight to Zermatt and ski the Matterhorn glacier. Sure, it'll cost you several grand, but you keep your unbroken streak going. Simple.

Always so positive Marc. Ah yes, my income is probably more limited that many of you, however I prefer to use my money on travel, skiing and music versus material stuff that is pointless in my eyes. It is in fact simple.

You misunderstand. I think your achievement, living where you do and skiing like most of us - meaning that you're not one of the 1% and able to get on your private jet to Chile in August - is spectacular. Perhaps pointless to some, incredibly cool to others. It's just that the achievement can be so easily diluted by someone with possibly less dedication but more ample means. I have no clue what those limiting parameters might be, but I'm far more impressed by what you did than if I read about, say, Michael Dell or some Hollywood star doing the same.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Patrick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Marc_C wrote:
Patrick wrote:

You misunderstand. I think your achievement, living where you do and skiing like most of us - meaning that you're not one of the 1% and able to get on your private jet to Chile in August - is spectacular. Perhaps pointless to some, incredibly cool to others. It's just that the achievement can be so easily diluted by someone with possibly less dedication but more ample means. I have no clue what those limiting parameters might be, but I'm far more impressed by what you did than if I read about, say, Michael Dell or some Hollywood star doing the same.

Thanks.

The dedication is the number 1 factor. You are correct about some 1%er could do it, but would they be as committed to make it last? As for myself, I wanted to prove to myself that it could be done. It was also the kick in the pants that I needed some years to make it happen now, not next year (ie. trips to Southern Hemisphere) (excuse are so easy in your times) or staying at home versus going outside. It is a way in keeping active...and living in the present. Not putting off traveling to next year. IF I would repeat the same thing over and over, it would defeat part of the purpose...I'm trying to diversify my experiences.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Marc_C » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Patrick wrote:It is a way in keeping active...and living in the present. Not putting off traveling to next year. IF I would repeat the same thing over and over, it would defeat part of the purpose...I'm trying to diversify my experiences.

Even better.
-marc
Marc_C

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America