Edelweiss, QC - March 5, 2008 - Powder day in Ottawa????

Patrick

What a Winter!!! :p :p :p :p

I can just hear some people at work cursing. :lol:

CBC News
It's officially Ottawa's 2nd heaviest snowfall on record
Heavy snow forces final closing of canal skating rink

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 5, 2008 | 4:38 PM ET
CBC News

After more than 20 centimetres of snow fell Tuesday night and Wednesday, it's officially Ottawa's second snowiest winter on record, with 345 cm so far. Environment Canada is predicting another snowstorm on Saturday.

The all-time record for snowfall was 444.1 centimetres in 1971, so Ottawa needs less than 100 centimetres for the record.

The snow caused major problems for commuters, with Ontario Provincial Police reporting about 150 accidents since 5 a.m., most of them minor, with no major injuries. City police dealt with more than 25 minor accidents.

OC Transpo said several buses broke down and had to be towed. At one point, five buses were stuck along a stretch of Kent Street near Somerset Street.

The heavy snowfall also forced the final closing of Rideau Canal skating rink.

The National Capital Commission blamed a combination of mild temperatures and heavy snow.

NCC spokeswoman Kathryn Keyes said it's harder for the ice to recover from mild weather at this time of year.

Ottawa sent out an estimated 600 snow-removal vehicles overnight and Wednesday morning.

"The snow should end late in the afternoon or early evening, and clear right out," said Mitch Meredith of Environment Canada.

Meredith is already tracking another storm on the east coast of the U.S. that could hit eastern Ontario on Saturday afternoon.

That storm would be all snow, with no rain or ice pellets, he said.

I was looking at this storm coming and there were many questionmarks about it. Possible freezing rain, ice pellets? I was also thinking maybe driving up to Tremblant, however I had my Wednesday race schedule and I had missed the last 3 races. There was also the fact that the storm was going to hit us before the Laurentians.

Woke up in the morning looked like we had received 20cm maybe more. Hard to say with the snow drifts. I wasn't feeling too well, but with all this snow, there was no way I wasn't going to take advantage of it. Then I got an email saying the race for the night was cancelled.

Environment Canada says:
Ottawa North - Kanata - Orléans
5:00 AM EST Wednesday 5 March 2008
Winter storm warning for
Ottawa North - Kanata - Orléans continued

..A mixed bag of wintry precipitation today..

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

Best for everyone to cancel.

So I took my time, there was no way I was going to leave during rush hour. It was chaos on the street plus the sidestreets haven't been plowed yet. I went outside to clear the snow from the garage door in the uncleared laneway.To do so I had to walk in knee deep snow to get to the garage. Once the car was out, I had to drive backwards because someone car was stuck at the other end. At the end of my street, someone got stuck and I needed my momentum to make it to corner. Try to go by him in the snowbank, but also got stuck. I got out and pushed him out of the way, after that I was able to manoeuvre back on the street and past the corner slightly cleared street. Lucky I had brought my shovel. I'm not sure how long it took me to drive the 45km (27miles) to Edelweiss. Definitely needed some good Winter driving skills.

The actual ski conditions:

I arrived at around noon. Snow report mentioned 25cm. I was surprised that the parking lot was so empty, this was being Quebec School Break. Only the HSQ was running. The snow surface included a nice of sugary snow. Headed for the expert runs and fresh tracks as they required a bit of a push to get to even in normal days when it's hardpack. It was still far from being tracked out, the new snow was dense and you didn't touch the hard icy base. Ended up going 27 laps mostly 3 trails all afternoon. I did a few runs on Tommy Pic, TopShot and the trees between them, but I was finding the snow better and less tracks on the large Strief/Olympic or under the old double chair. It's snowed until maybe 2-3pm then the sun came out.

Truly a magic day. Powder day at Edelweiss, you would have thought?

Patrick":2wknf0hw said:
What a Winter!!! :p :p :p :p

Powder day at Edelweiss, you would have thought?

I'm glad to see my home town is getting some good white stuff!! I used to live in both Cascades village for a long time and Edelweiss for a bit and I don't remember this much snow. I was born too late in 71 and missed that big year.

Indeed, a good powder day in ottawa is a rare thing. This year would be a good one to hit the sand pit cliffs on the way to edelweiss and the ones on the way to Ste-Marie drivers left. Of course they are rather short but you can get some pretty face shots when all the untracked lines are skied out.

Going to Mansfield backcountry next week-end. Hope it's good. From the sounds of it, it always is.

See you on the slopes!

JP

jeepster":rluybibe said:
I was born too late in 71 and missed that big year.
I was almost 6 and living in Montreal near the Forum. Remember the snow, snowmobiles on the street during that Storm of the Century. :p Snowbanks are so high.

This year would be a good one to hit the sand pit cliffs ...

I was thinking about the cliffs in the back of parliament hill. I asked, but those cliffs are definitely "off-limits". :shock: :shock: :shock:

Going to Mansfield backcountry next week-end. Hope it's good. From the sounds of it, it always is.

I didn't welcome you to FTO, but I've enjoyed getting Quebec perspective on FirstTracks other than mine. Welcome.

Am Hitting NH next week. Have fun on Mansfield.

Patrick

Are you racing or coaching on wednesday nights?
If you're in the racing wolrd, than I probably know you. PM me and I'll tell you more about who I am and where I've been.

JP

I did a few runs on Tommy Pic

You know there is a lot snow when Tommy Pic is open. I can't recall ever seeing it open in the last few years.

Environment Canada is calling for 5-10 cms later today and 20 cm tomorrow. They were only saying 15cm officially but have upped the amount. Gad, that's another foot.

Spensar":1zb83g6r said:
I did a few runs on Tommy Pic

You know there is a lot snow when Tommy Pic is open. I can't recall ever seeing it open in the last few years.

Morgane skied Tommy Pic with my wife on February 17, I was skiing with Tara on that day. :p Tommy's been open pretty much all season.

You just need to look outside to know it's a good year. My wife went to shovel in front of our kitchen window because the snow is too high on our deck. :shock: Snow all over our deck is roughtly 5-6ft high.

Right now, looks like were going to delay our Spring Break trip to NH. Looks like NH is going to get a mix bag, probably no mix precip along the border, but amount aren't probably not going to be as high.

We've only been to Edelweiss once this year, od'ed there the last couple of seasons.

Looks like Tremblant or Mont Blanc will be a good bet for Sunday or a day at March break.

Spensar":33ksx9v7 said:
Looks like Tremblant or Mont Blanc will be a good bet for Sunday or a day at March break.
Looking for something different for Spring Break. I haven't skied NH much, but there is a good combo of small hills for my youngest. (see other discussion).

Patrick":1fua683c said:
Spensar":1fua683c said:
Looking for something different for Spring Break. I haven't skied NH much, but there is a good combo of small hills for my youngest. (see other discussion).

I saw that thread, understand where you are coming from, but is water skiing on your list of different. :lol: :wink:

YIKES!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?blog=anderson

DEFINITELY NOT LEAVING FOR NH UNTIL MONDAY. :p

Windsor, Ont....8-12 cm
Sarnia, Ont.....6-10 cm
London, Ont...12-22 cm
St. Thomas, Ont.....12-22 cm
St. Catharines, Ont.....27-45 cm (Real nasty travel conditions across this region late Sat! Just stay home)
Niagara Falls, Ont.....30-47 cm (maybe a touch of sleet mixed in for a short time)
Hamilton, Ont......24-36 cm
Kitchener, Ont...14-26 cm
Toronto, Ont.....18-28 cm (worst conditions Sat. eve with strong winds, snow, blowing snow, low vis)
Owen Sound, Ont.....5-8 cm
Barrie, Ont......12-23 cm
Bracebridge, Ont....8-16 cm
Oshawa, Ont....22-34 cm
Peterborough, Ont....25-40 cm
Belleville, Ont.....30-47 cm
Kingston, Ont.....20-35 cm
Pembroke, Ont....12-18 cm
Ottawa, Ont.....34-52 cm (Just an all out blizzard Saturday evening!)
Cornwall, Ont.....20-33 cm (tough call, plenty of moisture, but how much sleet?)
Montreal, Que...28-42 cm (sleet may briefly mix in, especially from the city on S/E)
Cowansville, Que.....18-30 cm (Again, how much sleet is the key)
Granby, Que......20-34 cm (some sleet likely Sat aft/eve)
Drummondville, Que.....24-38 cm (some sleet possible Sat aft/eve)
Sherbrooke, Que.......15-27 cm (possible sleet late Sat aft.)
Trois-Rivieres, Que...30-45 cm
Quebec City, Que......22-34 cm (may even sleet hear by Sat. eve, for a time)
Edmundston, NB...17-30 cm (some sleet later Sat)
Rimouski, Que..15-22 cm
:p

Surely Patrick can find someplace appropriate in Quebec for his family rather than drive farther to ski on crap. I suspect season snow totals of 206 at Tremblant and 250 at Mt. Ste. Anne are excellent, and more importantly both of those numbers are up 40 inches or so since Feb. 27.

Tony Crocker":asgh3vc9 said:
Surely Patrick can find someplace appropriate in Quebec for his family rather than drive farther to ski on crap..

At the time you were writing this, we were skiing some beautiful winter conditions snow (far from crap - yes yes, winter conditions and no ice/thaw cycle stuff) in NH. :shock: :shock: :shock: More later... :wink:

Back