Edelweiss, QC - March 9, 2008 - Powder day in Ottawa 2

Patrick

Day 40: Chaos, Why, Good.

Here's a quick summary before I leave.

CHAOS...CHAOS...CHAOS

City received (official number vary) 52 or 56cm of snow from this last storm. That's makes it over 80cm with Wednesday storm. Perfect storm indeed. The city has received now up to 407cm this season. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Only 33cm away from the annual snowfall record of 1970-71. LET'S GO FOR THE RECORD!!!

That being said, it took me 2 1/2 hour to get the car out of my garage, out of the laneway and to the street maybe 150ft away. City lane had between 2-3 ft of snow. The side street had been plowed, not my street. Once on the road, the drive took 45 minutes. So I left my house and did a bootpack through the yard to get to my garage at 7:45am and started skiing at 11:15am.

WHY....WHY....WHY????

Mont St-Sauveur is known for it's grooming. Edelweiss is part of the MSSI group and in MSSI fashion, 99% (okay, maube not that much) had been groomed. NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!! The best on-hill powder day in Ottawa history had been flatened. The only part that was left ungroomed were:

1) Easter Bowl and the old double chair liftline.
2) Strief's pitch.
3) Top Shot (or whatever).
4) Tommy Pic.
5) And the closed top-to-bottom Terrain Park. :roll: :wink:

Yep, the grooming was pretty much wall-to-wall on the groomed trails unlike the previous Wednesday. I was told there was a race scheduled for Zoomer (main blue) under the HSQ, but the race had been cancelled. It was pretty hard to get out of the city.

The conditions were great, like December packed powder...not the "Deep Powder" written on their snow conditions. :roll: So I had to be creative to find fresh tracks most of the day. This day had the potential to be "Amazing", but it was a good after all.

Ended up skiing 30 runs from 11am to 4pm non-stop, no lunch and no break. Did maybe 6-7 runs on Tommy Pic. Nice pillows in the first few runs. Had to break track at the bottom the first time.

Today my back is hurting, probably due to a combination of shoveling 2 1/2 hour in the morning, jumping stuff in Tommy's and re-shoveling around the house and to help a car stuck in the lane once I got home.

I wanted to ski off the roof of the addition (kitchen) of our home today, but we've leaving for Spring Break in New Hampshire. :shock: :shock: :shock: We should be at Cannon tomorrow, Wildcat on Wednesday then maybe Cranmore and/or Black. Maybe Balsam Wilderness on the drive back to Canada?

I know some of you might question the sanity of this (going to NH), but it's about a vacation that the kids are looking forward to it. Skiing local or the Laurentians wouldn't be special for them. So if you see a guy with a 10yr or a 5yr with pink poles and a big beard, it's me :p

We're probably leaving soon, so you shouldn't be hearing from me until I get back.

Have a nice week. :p

Back