Cranmore, NH - March 15, 08 - Day 4

Patrick

After skiing close at Black, we skied closer today at Cranmore. 10-15 minutes away from our motel in North Conway. Woke up with a few inches of heavy snow on the car and it was still snowing. Temps close to freezing. This was also Saturday.

Cranmore is everything that Black isn't. Yes, the vertical is about the same (1200'), but lift capacity and crowds aren't the same. We didn't have any deal for us, except the discount tix at the motel. Total cost: $80. Our most expensive day on this trip.

Start of the day was hard. Kids were tired (to put it politely :? ) and started the morning on the wrong foot. This was Saturday, parking lot was full and we were park the further than ever on this trip, lift lines everywhere.

Everyone started skiing with the beginner chair, I joined them after they got ahead start. The main face of Cranmore are wide trails served by a HSQ. There was a competition on the Competition Slope under the quad. This type of skiing is every familiar. Morgane and I skied a few runs of the narrower trails like Rattlesnake and Kandahar. The surface had a wet heavy snow with a hard frozen base that never softened up. Morgane was going to ski these glades around these runs with my wife after lunch. Morgane wasn't impressed with the difficulty of the black runs. She had fun on a mogul covered Ledges trail. I spent most of the day with Tara. I was happy to able to ski a top-to-bottom run with her.

Tara was toast at 4pm, so I tag up with her sister that wanted to ski with me and skied almost an extra two hours. Our lift ticket was good until 9pm, unfortunately we were limited to the night skiing runs and we didn't want to girls to go to bed to late (wishful thinking - The Incredibles movie on on TV until 11pm). Morgane wanted to ski into the deep icy ruts left by slalom course. We stopped our skiing under the lights. One more day of vacation before school/work.

Well, I'm almost updated this post the other night when Admin's Trivia answer was Cranmore.

10-15 minutes away from our motel in North Conway. Woke up with a few inches of heavy snow on the car and it was still snowing.

CRAc-080315.jpg

Tara skiing toward the base.

CRAc-080315_0003.jpg

Who needs a Skimobile when you have a big sister. :mrgreen:

CRAc-080315_01.jpg

Old double on the other side of the mountain. This doesn't look like the same place.

CRAc-080315_0002.jpg

Morgane wanted to ski into the deep icy ruts left by slalom course. We stopped our skiing under the lights.

CRAc-080315_0005.jpg

Parking lot was full and we were park the further than ever on this trip.

CRAc-080315-006.jpg

Girls and Hannes Schneider.

CRAc-080315_0004.jpg

Datalog. Longest day yet. Skied with Tara 2 runs before lunch and 4 runs after (including one top to bottom). Notice the wait time at the bottom of each run after lunch. I believe that @ 1600 I was waiting for my wife and Morgane. Finished the day with Morgane. Old double was taken at noon (see graph for vert info).

crag-080315.jpg

Back