Get ready for a Gore/North Creek interconnect

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Get ready for a Gore/North Creek interconnect

Postby jasoncapecod » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:14 am

This isn't a Gore vs Vermont thread. I love VT , but it"s just a more difficult trip from the NY metro area. Gore and Whiteface are basically right off the NY State Thruway. Put the cruise on 75 and take a nap and your there . You also get a full day of skiing in on Sunday because of the easy ride home. If you have ever left Stowe after skiing a full day Sunday and drove back to NYC. You know it ain't pleasant..
jasoncapecod

Postby skimore » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Traveling weather really doesn't come into play until your inside a hour of those places
skimore

Postby Marc_C » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:10 pm

skimore wrote:Traveling weather really doesn't come into play until your inside a hour of those places

Living in central CT for 22 years and skiing VT for 18 of them, I totally disagree.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby skimore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:15 am

Marc_C wrote:
skimore wrote:Traveling weather really doesn't come into play until your inside a hour of those places

Living in central CT for 22 years and skiing VT for 18 of them, I totally disagree.

I'm talking about the weather that routinely hits NVT and not so much elswhere. I have to believe there is a difference traveling 91 versus 87. In my 20 yrs of going using 87 it's never been a big deal. But if traveling weather is that bad it's because everyone is getting slammed and there may not be a need to go all the way to NVT.
skimore

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:16 am

Marc_C wrote:

+1 The same is true coming from metro-Boston. I hear the New Yorkers complain about drives where it takes 3 hours to get 60 miles north of the City any time there's more than a dusting on the road. The masses in the flatlands don't have snow tires and have no snow driving skills. The driving conditions are usually better once you get within an hour of "those places" since more people have the right tires and the snow driving skills. "Those places" are also much more attuned to snow removal, sand, and salt since they get more frequent snow and those tourists are their lifeblood.

I'd also add that you never really know when you're going to hit a good powder day. What you see on the ground at 8AM rarely matches the weather forecast the day before. If you are driving up from NYC on short notice, you'll opt out of many of the good dumps because the weatherman got it wrong and you'll waste vacation time on storms that fizzle out. I had days last winter where I looked out my window at 8:30 AM 2 miles from the parking lot, saw rain or a dusting, and said, "What the hell. I'll go take a run or two" and discovered that there was a foot of new snow on the upper mountain.

You pretty much have to live close enough and be flexible enough that you can drop everything and go skiing when your cell phone rings at 9:00 with that "get up here" call.
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 am

skimore wrote:I'm talking about the weather that routinely hits NVT and not so much elswhere. I have to believe there is a difference traveling 91 versus 87. In my 20 yrs of going using 87 it's never been a big deal. But if traveling weather is that bad it's because everyone is getting slammed and there may not be a need to go all the way to NVT.

Not really. Orographic lift is a local phenomenon. The Greens from KMart northwards usually get much more snow from storms than elsewhere. The drive up 87 in 3" of snow can really suck with morons with summer tires doing automobile pinball. Your option is 4" at Huntah or 12" at Sugarbush. What's the right choice?
Geoff

Postby Marc_C » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 am

skimore wrote:
Marc_C wrote:

I'm talking about the weather that routinely hits NVT and not so much elswhere. I have to believe there is a difference traveling 91 versus 87. In my 20 yrs of going using 87 it's never been a big deal. But if traveling weather is that bad it's because everyone is getting slammed and there may not be a need to go all the way to NVT.

Have you never heard of situations where the rain/snow line is somewhere in southern VT? I can't begin to count the number of times I've crossed MA in freezing rain at 30 mph (or sitting for an hour at 0mph while a multi-vehicle accident is cleaned up) to be followed by greasy slush up to White River Jct. On more than one occasion an emergency motel room was needed simply because the roads were so horrific. I have friends in Morristown NJ who are in a ski club with a house at MRG and they have literally a hundred stories of that trip taking over 8 hrs and white knuckle the whole way. BTW, in my time in the Northeast I've found that NY uses a *lot* more sand and salt than MA or VT on the interstates.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Harvey44 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 am

Marc_C wrote:.. situations where the rain/snow line is somewhere in southern VT...

Ice+Storm+Warning.jpg
Ice+Storm+Warning.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 5646 times

The graphic above is from a blog post I made last December after yet another trip through the transition zone. To me it's classic...if it's snowing bigtime at Gore, it means Atlantic (or Gulf) moisture is involved, so there's warm air nearby and some kind of slop to drive through.

For skimore - coming from western NY... he probably doesn't drive in as much sleet as I do coming from NJ.

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/12/wh ... asing.html
NYSkiBlog.com
Harvey44

Postby skimore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 am

Marc_C wrote:Have you never heard of situations where the rain/snow line is somewhere in southern VT?

Yes, but there are numerous times it's doing nothing at all in SVT and snowing in the northern half and travel isn't affected until near the mountains
skimore

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:30 am

In one of the split-off posts Patrick wrote:
jamesdeluxe wrote:OK, we're officially off-topic.

Don't worry about someone will probably take care of that. :mrgreen:

Side topic has been split to "Driving to ski East vs. flying to ski West":
http://firsttracksonline.com/boards/vie ... f=2&t=8017

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:46 am

The stories above confirm all of my speculation about how difficult it is for easterners in the metro areas to nail the NVT powder days. The JSpin, powderfreak TR's are great, but they are about as relevant to a NYC skier as admin's powder days are to me. I can drive to SLC in 10-11 hours of cruise control. With fresh snow, NYC to Stowe is probably rather similar in time and much more nerve wracking.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby rfarren » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:The stories above confirm all of my speculation about how difficult it is for easterners in the metro areas to nail the NVT powder days. The JSpin, powderfreak TR's are great, but they are about as relevant to a NYC skier as admin's powder days are to me. I can drive to SLC in 10-11 hours of cruise control. With fresh snow, NYC to Stowe is probably rather similar in time and much more nerve wracking.

11 hours to stowe is a reach. The only time it has ever taken me more than 5 hours to get back from Whiteface was when I got caught in an ice-storm. By and large 87 has great snow plows. They do a great job of keeping that road clear. What makes vermont hard to get to is that most the of the roads are windy and small, with snow... just annoying. However, I actually like the drive from lake george to burlington, you go through some really nice towns.

BTW the other reason for me to do gore is that it comes with wf and I normally hit wf for at least 6 days a year.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:40 am

Don't know if y'all saw this story published over the weekend:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2 ... -Mountain/

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harvey44 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks Admin.

The big mystery lies in this:

"Guests can expect more convenient access to Burnt Ridge for the upcoming winter, including a new expansion of the "Cirque Glades" all the way to the base of the Burnt Ridge Quad."

No one seems to be willing to say what that means. Expansion of Cirque Glades is very cool and technically that will improve access to the BRQ.

There is hope that there could be an easier way to get TO the BRQ from the main mountain. The word "including" makes it seem like there is more planned. Some work done to get from the worm hole on twister, directly to the bottom of BRQ would be great.
NYSkiBlog.com
Harvey44

Postby J.Spin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:26 am

jasoncapecod wrote:This isn't a Gore vs Vermont thread.

I'm hearing some interesting comments about Gore in this thread, so this seems like a good place to get some clarification. I saw Tony describe it is some sort of second tier mountain in an earlier post and I'm wondering why. It looks big, with 2000+ vertical feet, doesn't appear overly crowded, and seems to have awesome terrain based on the pictures I see posted here - like some from Sharon below. So what's the catch? Based on what their website says, Gore receives only 150" of snow a season, which is less than half of what some of the Northern Vermont resorts receive. I know that the Adirondacks don't get the snow that the Greens do, but at 150 inches, how would anything off piste even be covered to produce the awesome days that I frequently see on this board? I have been to Whiteface, and based on that experience and the reports from Harvey, Jimski, Sharon, Powderfreak, etc. Gore sounds much better in many regards (snowfall, glades, weather, atmosphere, etc.). I really want to get over there and check it out. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want Gore as their home mountain. If I lived right at Gore or had that as my easiest access, I don't think I'd worry about heading across the lake to get to Northern Vermont all that often. Gore sounds like an undiscovered gem of a resort that many people don't know about, and it looks like some nice improvements are on the way. So what's not to like?

-J
J.Spin

Location: Waterbury, Vermont - Image: Skiing Bone Mountain in the Bolton Valley backcountry, VT

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America