Vermont Snow Updates 2009-10

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Vermont Snow Updates 2009-10

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Pictures as expected. =D>

Hayride has a nice intermediate pitch IIRC. Is it grass underneath? If gravel that would be tough on the skis judging by the picture of the run.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Powderqueen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Awesome pix Jay!
Powderqueen

Postby Marc_C » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:11 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Hayride has a nice intermediate pitch IIRC. Is it grass underneath? If gravel that would be tough on the skis...

Tony, it's Vermont - there's grass and moss and ferns and rotting stuff everywhere. They have to truck in gravel for their roads. :stir:
-marc
Marc_C

Postby icelanticskier » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:43 am

Marc_C wrote:
Tony Crocker wrote:Hayride has a nice intermediate pitch IIRC. Is it grass underneath? If gravel that would be tough on the skis...

Tony, it's Vermont - They have to truck in gravel for their roads. :stir:

:lol: ya, from new hampshire! :lol:

rog
icelanticskier

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:47 am

icelanticskier wrote: i rode the 30 miles each way to the event plus rode a nice 23 mile singletrack loop while i was there. 80+ miles on the full suspension carbon scott with the landscape on fire.

I get annoyed riding even a mile of blacktop to connect trails... 60 miles of blacktop on a full-suspension bike? :shock:
jamesdeluxe

Postby J.Spin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:52 am

Tony Crocker wrote:Hayride has a nice intermediate pitch IIRC. Is it grass underneath? If gravel that would be tough on the skis judging by the picture of the run.

Upper Hayride and Middle Hayride (or "Hayride" on the Stowe interactive map) are listed as most difficult, and Lower Hayride is listed as intermediate. My travels on Thursday were on Middle Hayride based on what I can see from my GPS trace (image below), and that certainly had an advanced pitch for most of what I descended. I had to make switchbacks to varying degrees to be able to manage that part of my decent. In the Google Earth image you can make out one big switchback in the GPS trace just to the left of the Hayride thumbnail, where I cut from skier's right to skier's left on the trail. I continued with several smaller switchbacks below that. I guess I'd forgotten how steep and wide that part of Hayride actually was, because for much of the Hayride descent I thought I must have somehow found my way to National. It wasn't until I saw the sign for Hayride Loop that I could really confirm where I was. In terms of what was under my feet, there was grass throughout the trail, but under the grass it was often very rocky (rock diameters in the 0.5 to 1-foot range based on the ones I saw) and were it not for the support of my ski poles the descent there would have been extremely difficult. Skiing down that section would also have been very difficult with the available snow cover.

-J
J.Spin

Location: Waterbury, Vermont - Image: Skiing Bone Mountain in the Bolton Valley backcountry, VT

Postby J.Spin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:19 am

I've got a couple more snow updates from Mt. Mansfield that I hadn't had time to post yet. On Friday, the clouds began to break away from the summit and we were finally able to see the snow accumulations from afar. Also, I was up at the resort yesterday and got some additional pictures. There was no snow visible from the base area, and it did appear as though there was a subtle change in the foliage since I'd last been up there on Thursday. It seemed like things might be getting a touch past peak for the deciduous trees in the higher elevations.

J.Spin
J.Spin

Location: Waterbury, Vermont - Image: Skiing Bone Mountain in the Bolton Valley backcountry, VT

Postby icelanticskier » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:
icelanticskier wrote: i rode the 30 miles each way to the event plus rode a nice 23 mile singletrack loop while i was there. 80+ miles on the full suspension carbon scott with the landscape on fire.

I get annoyed riding even a mile of blacktop to connect trails... 60 miles of blacktop on a full-suspension bike? :shock:

it's all a journey my friend. the festival was the destination and i didn't want to be lazy and drive the 30 miles each way in my car. good workout pure and simple. sorry j vermont. no more hijak.

rog
icelanticskier

Postby J.Spin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 am

Yesterday I experience some sleet falling in the back yard when I was installing my snowboard for the season, and up on Mt. Mansfield, we actually found that there was some new snow. Temperatures were certainly chilly, with 40s F in the valley and breezes at times, so I was curious to see what the higher elevations had experienced. Even with the thought that there might be some snow up high, from afar it was really hard to tell if anything had fallen. It wasn’t until we were riding up in the Stowe Gondola that we could confirm the presence of snow on the grass above 3,000’. We hiked the Cliff Trail up to the Mansfield summit ridge at around 4,100’, and saw various accumulations of snow in that elevation range. Generally, the snow was present just in sheltered areas and there was perhaps up to an inch of accumulation, but it made for some nice scenes while hiking. In terms of skiing, these accumulations were more minimal than what we saw at the end of September/beginning of October, but I’m sure the junkboarders could make use of some of the grassy slopes. A more substantial snowfall is on the way tonight however. Not much is expected in terms of snow accumulations for the lower valleys (elevations <1,000’), although it sounds like those valley bottoms could experience their first flakes of the season with this event.

Some pictures from yesterday have been added below.

J.Spin
J.Spin

Postby Anthony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 am

Observed the same type of snow/sleet combo Saturday morning across the lake in the ADK'S on Giant mountain at a elevation of 4600' . Chances are good for snow this week .
Anthony

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:33 am

Anthony wrote:Observed the same type of snow/sleet combo Saturday morning across the lake in the ADK'S on Giant mountain at a elevation of 4600' . Chances are good for snow this week .

I have an inch of wet slop in my yard at Kmart @ 2000' this morning. You probably don't have to go too far north or too much uphill to have a lot more snow.
Geoff

Postby J.Spin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 am

In the 5:00 A.M. to 5:30 A.M. period this morning, the temperature at the house (495’) was fluctuating in the 36-37 F range, and around 5:30 A.M. when I checked out back, the precipitation was just some sprinkles of rain. Things didn’t seem all that exciting in terms of snow, so I decided to just catch the early bus into Burlington. A bit after 6:00 A.M. though, probably less than a minute after I’d started to drive toward the center of Waterbury, the precipitation became much harder and started mixing with snow. Soon it was literally pouring rain and snow, and knowing what was probably going on in the mountains, I decided that things were just a bit too interesting to head right to work. I headed back to the house for a bit, saw E and the boys off, then threw my camera, skiing, and hiking gear into the car and headed out myself. The precipitation at the house was mostly over to snow by the time I’d left (~7:15 A.M.), but the temperature was 36 F and the snow still wasn’t accumulating. Driving through the Winooski Valley, I could see that the snow line appeared to be around 1,000’, but (presumably in colder spots) it was occasionally sneaking a bit lower. I stopped off a mile or two west of the Chittenden County/Washington County line and got a cool shot of the snow line sneaking down into a gully in the Bamforth Ridge area. The snowfall quickly mixed out as I headed toward Richmond, and it was just rain from there on into Burlington where the temperature was 38 F at around 7:45 A.M. I’ve attached one image from this morning for now, but if I have time I may stop off up at Bolton on the way home to see how things are going up there.

J.Spin
J.Spin

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:31 am

And K-Mart's making snow and plans to for much of the week:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2 ... king-Snow/

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:44 pm

Admin wrote:And K-Mart's making snow and plans to for much of the week:

What does that mean??? :shock: Is Killington going to back to the days of, "We'll open when we have a window, regardless if it's melts afterward" attitude from the 80s and 90s?
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Mike Bernstein » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:13 pm

Patrick wrote:
Admin wrote:And K-Mart's making snow and plans to for much of the week:

What does that mean??? :shock: Is Killington going to back to the days of, "We'll open when we have a window, regardless if it's melts afterward" attitude from the 80s and 90s?

That's what the claim to be doing. "Beast of the East" and all that. We shall see if their actions match their words.
Mike Bernstein

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America