Sunday River, ME - October 15, 09

Patrick

Day 1 of the 2009-2010 season.

Killing.it.on the River.

25 runs or $1/run. About 4500 meters. This was definitely the BEST MID-OCTOBER SKIING IN MY LIFE or the MY BEST SKI DAY SINCE SEPTEMBER 3RD...even better than the 4th at Las Lenas. :eek:

Start of a new season with very old gear. Changed the pink poles for the pink ski boots. I had to salvage piece-by-piece to be able to rebuild a ski equipment. Some really stiff, small ski boots that bought in 1993. Ski poles and ski pants vintage 1985. I had used the poles on that sand skiing back in August 2005. The only thing I got replaced from my stolen gear so far is my ski jacket.

Had plan to cross the border to make some turns and take advantage of the snow that had fallen on Monday night south of the border. I wasn’t even thinking about lift served. Then found out that Sunday River was open. Man, this is early a start for lift served. Probably the earliest start since the good old days at Kmart.

I didn’t want I was going to use for ski pants. Some bring yellow from the 80s or a more neutral look. I went for the older look. I didn’t what to expect for snow conditions. I was bringing the Fels, a straight ski with good edges and the old Rossi 7Ss that I had used at Le Massif last October. No edges on these. I even had my good slalom skis in case the run had hard and perfect coverage. At the last minute, meaning 9:30pm, ComitJo offered his old Rossi XXX. A quick 10 minutes stop at 10:30pm before leaving for Montreal. Regardless of that quick stop, I got a damn $60 parking ticket. WTF??? Anyway, I had a fourth options for skis, wonder what they’ll say that the border? Are you smuggling old skis? Didn’t know what to expect.

Got stop by the Police in Montreal. The officer thought I was talking on a cell phone (illegal in Quebec to talk on hand phone while driving)...mmmh, officer I don’t have a cellphone. Probably due to me leaning against my hand as I was getting close to my mom’s house. It was passed midnight after all.

Beautiful drive, not too much traffic heading out of Montreal, however I hit the heavy rush hour traffic in Coaticook. ;) Next to Autoroute 10, trees at the top of Mt. Orford were white and covered in frost while the bottom was slightly passed peak foliage colours. The same scenery north or south of the border. Balsam Wilderness ski area with all it’s trail in white and colours surrounding them were spectacular. Saw one deer, but no moose. Made the 305km Montreal-Sunday River trip in 3:15.

SUNDAY RIVER OCTOBER SKIING

There were maybe 20-30 cars in the parking at 10ish and I suspect many of them were simply from the people working at the resort. The skiing today was on the T2 trail that ends at the midstation. 1 trail for 182 meter vert. While I was leaving the parking lot and riding the chair, a few people were heading down or leaving. SR had blown snow along Sunday Punch all the way to the bottom, but there wasn’t much snow and it was probably to warm at the bottom to blow any. Probably hoping to make it to the bottom by the weekend.

The conditions were pretty much “variable”. Snowmaking guns blazing a coat of icing on the goggles and on our clothing if you skied too much on skiing left. Wet snow in some places near the guns, ice pellets and a few holes in some places. As I was going laps and the snow was being skied, the conditions were getting much better. I didn’t feel like stopping and take my lunch at the bottom, so I decided to ski through lunch. Ended up skiing over half my runs with EMR from TGR which we meet in the chair a few times and skied about at the same pace.

Definitely a fun day, however not sure what this weekend was like? Skiers might need some elbow pads to make run. Ended up skiing with the XXX that I really enjoyed. Probably better than my no edges junkboard 7Ss and would have been worried about my good Slalom skis.

Left Bethel at 4pm, I didn’t have issues crossing the border, the US border guard sounded like a skier, however when I crossed into Canada. I got the full car search. I guess some people might think it’s odd to carry 4 pairs of skis across the border on October 15th.

Nah, it's the ZZ Top beard.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

The streak lives. =D> =D> =D>

But we want pics of Patrick and his new(?) ski clothes and gear! I wonder how it compared to Admin's favorites: My faded red jacket and Andrew's chartreuse pants.

good you got it patrick! i just looked at the forecast for the next couple of weeks and i think that the next possible opening date may have to wait till around november 5th. they may make next weekend, but may not be able to make much snow for awhile. gonna be near 60 degrees with sun where i am \:D/ .

rog

ya james, all for one wrod. i drove more than patrick to make it happen :shock:

for me personally it's all about the whole experience. i mean we were totally snowliage skiing man. heck most of the trees still had green leaves on em. it's not just the skiing for me, cuz to tell ya the truth, it was pretty desparate. not that i didn't get good turns in chasing around a hot blonde all day :-$ . skiing, foliage, october, warm, bluebird sunny day, beers on the deck catching up with old friends, hot tub poaching, great food apres.

good times my friend, good times indeed.

rog

FTO is a collecting point for a spectrum skiing fanatics from the mild to wild. Patrick's passion shouldn't really be unexpected right? I mean you don't have a (39 month?) ski streak AND a regular job without some serious dedication. You guys would be surprised at what I go through to get my minimal 30+ day seasons. Go Pat Go. =D>

Riv took a few sweet pics of the Riv:

http://www.thesnowway.com/2009/10/16/fi ... nday-river

I mean you don't have a (39 month?) ski streak
That would be 49, and he's over the hump with the next 7 being comparatively easy.
AND a regular job without some serious dedication.
Quite a few people do. But most of them live in the PNW with year-round drive-to skiing if their fitness level is adequate. Somewhat more difficult for those in Utah, Jackson and presumably in Colorado. But only a true nutcase can get it done from Ottawa.

Tony Crocker":215kfuqt said:
The streak lives. =D> =D> =D>

But we want pics of Patrick and his new(?) ski clothes and gear! I wonder how it compared to Admin's favorites: My faded red jacket and Andrew's chartreuse pants.

Unless someone took a picture of me, I know of no known picture.

Ski jacket is brand new. Ski pants were a dark blue and a bit of a tight fit, however I didn't want my unfaded yellow 80s ski pants. Google were total finished, but were the main ones I had on my first SA trip. Poles were less noticeable than my stolen kermas. Ski boots? Pink Rossis.

jamesdeluxe":215kfuqt said:
Just out of curiosity, I punched in the coordinates:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Ottawa& ... iver&2s=me

... all that for one WROD: :shock:

It was fun...what better than a day at work. :mrgreen:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Glendal ... tain&2s=CA

6 miles less than Tony's Mammoth drive and roughly the same distance from NJ to WF. :mrgreen: I also ]stopped to see my mom along the way.

icelanticskier":215kfuqt said:
ya james, all for one wrod. i drove more than patrick to make it happen :shock:

for me personally it's all about the whole experience. i mean we were totally snowliage skiing man. heck most of the trees still had green leaves on em. it's not just the skiing for me, cuz to tell ya the truth, it was pretty desparate. not that i didn't get good turns in chasing around a hot blonde all day :-$ . skiing, foliage, october, warm, bluebird sunny day, beers on the deck catching up with old friends, hot tub poaching, great food apres.

good times my friend, good times indeed.

rog

Ice has spoken the truth...once again. I didn't ski after a hot blonde (not that I would admit it in a public forum), but definitely a great day that I will remember. More than many normal winter days. You remember the days out of the norm. Brutally cold days, great powder days, awful raining days... late Spring or mid fall. When you ski a lot, days like this week are the ones that you remember a few years down the road. :-#

i just e-mailed the ins co, bank, atty's and my buyer broker to postpone my closing date of this tues to next tues so that i could ski this coming tues/wed at the riv while the temps will be in the 50's with sun and a hike to only ski slope all for me. \:D/ i just can't let stuff get in the way of my skiing. my motto, "let everyone else work for me".

patrick? gonna be nice! :mrgreen:

rog

icelanticskier":1ew3ki6p said:
patrick? gonna be nice! :mrgreen:

I would love too...I had even warned my boss of a potential Nor'Eastern day off, however I need to really get cracking with insurance/gear replacement asap. Most urgent? Ski boots then everything should fall in place. Tried a few, need to find same models in slightly different size to get the right fit.

6 miles less than Tony's Mammoth drive
Which I will not do for WROD skiing. And I suspect my drive is an hour less than Patrick's due to better roads.

You remember the days out of the norm.
I do get this part, and October 17 is out of the norm in anybody's book. But we did see Snowman's pics demonstrating rain to the top, and Adam concluded that was below his standards (higher than mine) even though he's never skied in October. It would have been difficult, as we had the Dodger NLCS game Friday afternoon (a toasty 93F) and both of us had to be back here today.

Patrick":3nqxs06y said:
better than a day at work.
Given the amount of vacation days (seems like more than eight weeks a year), and the ability to get up and leave town at the drop of a hat, I'll need written proof to convince me that Patrick has what most of us Yanks would consider a full-time job.

Not a :troll:... I'm jealous, fascinated, and obviously need to step up efforts to move to Canada. Everyone I know there seems to have jobs that can be easily sidestepped when needed.

I got out Friday and skied in the guns and had a blast. 1st day out feel. Sunday was a nice day of turns. T2 was about as good as it gets early season. I think they will make it again this weekend. I don't think Sunday punch will make it to the botton. What a great start to the season. Lots of people talking about the lack of merits of being open or going. Most of them did not go. :p Glad I got to start the season.

Tony Crocker":1f032oxn said:
Quite a few people do. But most of them live in the PNW with year-round drive-to skiing if their fitness level is adequate. Somewhat more difficult for those in Utah, Jackson and presumably in Colorado. But only a true nutcase can get it done from Ottawa.

So if you live in Seattle or Portland - what's the drill? It's a drive to Bachelor or Hood or both? (I really don't know). I'm assuming that the fitness means there is some turn earning involved. That falls into the category of serious dedication in my book. Anybody who owns and uses AT or telegear...

Mrs Harv and I fantasize about Canada too. Patrick tell us something bad about Canada so we can go back to our jobs this morning.

Tony Crocker":294cieey said:
I mean you don't have a (39 month?) ski streak
That would be 49, and he's over the hump with the next 7 being comparatively easy.

I found out things in life and cannot be taken for granted. Stuff like making it for the last day of the season at a ski area without a car accident or taking a taxi ride in Buenos Aires. ](*,) My chiropractor was saying the same thing about how the next few months and a piece of cake. An old high school classmate was so looking forward to attend our first HS reunion last June that I was organizing. One month before I had exchange emails with her, a couple day later she had a heart attack will driving. Died at 42 with two young kids. So I'm only looking at month #50 right now.

6 miles less than Tony's Mammoth drive
Which I will not do for WROD skiing. And I suspect my drive is an hour less than Patrick's due to better roads.

I visited my mom along the way, so should you really be counting from Montreal instead of Ottawa? Anyway, the drive back (not counting the time the motor was off at the border) was 5:15. Road are good, you just have to watchout for moose.

And...

jamesdeluxe":294cieey said:
Patrick":294cieey said:
better than a day at work.
Given the amount of vacation days (seems like more than eight weeks a year), and the ability to get up and leave town at the drop of a hat, I'll need written proof to convince me that Patrick has what most of us Yanks would consider a full-time job.

Not a :troll:... I'm jealous, fascinated, and obviously need to step up efforts to move to Canada. Everyone I know there seems to have jobs that can be easily sidestepped when needed.

But only a true nutcase can get it done from Ottawa.

James, my job is a double edge sword. They are a few thing that drive me nuts (I've had a few meltdown and a burnout slightly after my 1st FTO post) with my longterm week long vacation planning during the Winter). Double edge sword keeps me from working hard to find a job elsewhere (outside this place and/or outside Ottawa). We found out last week that my employer is one of the place where the highest amount of employee are looking to leave.

Without getting in details with social benefits and personal details, I get 4 wks off for my year's of services (10+ years) and I'm sure that many of you commenting in this post probably make more money than me. A few of my colleagues get as much time off, I tend to always refused extra cash and have taken paycuts to get extra days. How many of you are willing to take a pay cut? Not many here, how about you?

Harvey44":294cieey said:
Mrs Harv and I fantasize about Canada too. Patrick tell us something bad about Canada so we can go back to our jobs this morning.

My job prevents me saying anything back about our current Prime minister and his party that forms the government.

So if you live in Seattle or Portland - what's the drill? It's a drive to Bachelor or Hood or both? (I really don't know). I'm assuming that the fitness means there is some turn earning involved. That falls into the category of serious dedication in my book. Anybody who owns and uses AT or telegear...
Hood/Timberline is easy daytrip from Portland but 4-5 hours from Seattle. Yes, most of those guys have AT or telegear to earn turns July-October. BUT, marginal cost is next to nothing once they have the gear. Equally important is the flexibility to pick the right days for weather/snow conditions in the backcountry.

Patrick's level of flexibility/time off may be more than the average American, but it's far from off-the-charts, as his response indicated. Sharon and I, for example, probably have more. And icelantic is in a completely different league. The people like JSPIn and the Utards with less vacation time than Patrick but excellent home locations get more skiing and certainly higher average quality.

Patrick and I have had several :snowball fight: on and off-line about what strikes me as strange ski priorities. My understanding is that his flexibility is seasonal to some degree. He has the time for the southern hemisphere trips in part because he doesn't get as much time off from work/family obligations during the northern winter.

I tend to always refused extra cash and have taken paycuts to get extra days. How many of you are willing to take a pay cut? Not many here, how about you?
This is a good point, but few Americans are given that option. I'm close to retirement, but in deciding to hang on somewhat longer I've made it clear that timing of my trips is not negotiable, and that I'm willing to take unpaid days if/when I overrun the annual paid time off. For several years my company did offer everyone an option to buy/sell a week of vacation time. As those were "family years" I just took my regular allocation. Had the program persisted I would have been buying the last few years.

Tony Crocker":u73k8tuw said:
My understanding is that his flexibility is seasonal to some degree. He has the time for the southern hemisphere trips in part because he doesn't get as much time off from work/family obligations during the northern winter.

Partially correct. Work has put my planned vacations even after booking my flight at risk. France Holidays in 2000, June 2005 California trip, 2 wks of MT-Wy-UT trip in 2006 and I'm not even going to talk about my 2008 planned trip. :evil:

Tony Crocker":u73k8tuw said:
I tend to always refused extra cash and have taken paycuts to get extra days. How many of you are willing to take a pay cut? Not many here, how about you?
This is a good point, but few Americans are given that option..

Not many people here either. That it's why I call this job a double edge sword. Yes, I'm in Ottawa with many activities close by, including small ski areas, for example, I would defintely prefer being in Montreal due my love to the best skiing in the East. However, I have to keep in mind the advantages of this place.

Extra cash for overtime. I would say that at 9/10 co-workers take the money option, regardless of their financial situation. The amount of people taken pay-cuts, unpaid leave, etc is even smaller. It's their choice, people love money to buy stuff. I prefer to use money to live.

Back