Turkey and Turns Not Looking Likely in NE

Bluebird Day

Unfortunately, the NE weather has not been agreeable with my plan to work off some turkey and mashpoes with some turns. Let's hope for skiing by Xmas. 8-[

sunday river has been open weekends since october 14th. starting monday they are open every day. plenty of turkey turns at the riv. where are you not skiing?

rog

icelanticskier":3fh7y4ce said:
sunday river has been open weekends since october 14th. starting monday they are open every day. plenty of turkey turns at the riv. where are you not skiing?
Bluebird has mentioned how the more northern resorts aren't all that practical in his case, so he may be looking for something close to home. There's certainly stuff farther out though like Sunday River as you mentioned. Killington is also open. We just got a Killington report on SkiVT-L today from John Bonin, and it sounds like he had a good time in the soft snow today and there were even bumps to play around in. It was definitely raining there today though. I'm not sure if this is actually the worst possible weather pattern, but it's certainly down there on the list with regard to getting natural snow in the Northeastern U.S., so I guess those that want to get out should be happy there's at least man made snow to turn on. There are lots of cold, clear nights with temperatures down into the 20s and even 10s F, but there was a discussion on SkiVT-L about why the combination of clear weather with cold nights and warm days isn't really what the ski areas want for making snow (even though the air is dry etc.). Apparently, the start up/shut down of the systems factors heavily into the snowmaking process, and it's a lot less efficient turning it on and off than just leaving it on when the temperature stays down below freezing in the higher elevations (which Powderfreak says is more the norm for this point in the season). It certainly looks as though places like Killington and Sunday River that are willing to spend the money will have more chances to make snow, since a quick peek at the Killington forecast suggests more 20s and even upper 10s F this week for overnight lows. If they were able to provide skiing last week, it would seem like they could do it again this week, but they obviously have to balance the financial aspects.

-J

icelanticskier":9redixyw said:

I wish I lived closer to Sunday River or any place in the Northern NE area... but I might as well hop a plane to SLC instead of venturing 9 hrs by car North to those areas. I was hoping to make som turns in Southern VT while visiting family in Williamstown, MA.

oh ya BBD, i forgot where you lived. i only live 2 hours and change from the riv and i'm waiting till december to ski at this point. october yeided decent turns with no walking required. i'm not walking in november. surf will be epic this week anyway. winter will come, probably late, but it will come.

rog

on second thought, with very cold temps at night and 50's with sun during the days both tues/wed, i may have to go to the riv to take advantage of the limited, yet hero turning mid week conditions. hmmm, surf? ski? both? \:D/

rog

my guess is that this upcoming week will be some of the best skiing ( for my purposes anyways ) for the next 4 to 6 weeks... blue sky and temps approaching 45 to 50? no snow guns blowin in ur face and no hard packed fake....come on fellas , get out there ](*,) .. i'll be at sunday river for sure on wed and thurs

joegm":2buxki6y said:
my guess is that this upcoming week will be some of the best skiing ( for my purposes anyways ) for the next 4 to 6 weeks... blue sky and temps approaching 45 to 50? no snow guns blowin in ur face and no hard packed fake....come on fellas , get out there ](*,) .. i'll be at sunday river for sure on wed and thurs

couldn't agree more joe. when i saw the temps forecasted, i got excited and it's increasing. i may surf on the cooler day tues when the waves are supposed to be better, and def ski wed. with 10 dollar tickets and free lodging i wouldn't rule out tues either. i'm sure we can get some bumps going. skiers right of t2 could be good, very good in the bump department.

rog

icelanticskier":np0zz712 said:
joegm":np0zz712 said:

couldn't agree more joe. when i saw the temps forecasted, i got excited and it's increasing. i may surf on the cooler day tues when the waves are supposed to be better, and def ski wed. with 10 dollar tickets and free lodging i wouldn't rule out tues either. i'm sure we can get some bumps going. skiers right of t2 could be good, very good in the bump department.

rog

let me know if you are going to be on the hill either day....we ll hook up

I'm getting really bored skiing the same terrain at Killington. Bring on winter, pleeeeeze.

I'm in Denver tomorrow but I'm a little too busy to use my Colorado pass this trip. This work thing sucks.

I am tired of just a couple of runs, but not tired enought to not go. I make laps for a few hours and call its quits. 10 days in at the River. I will make turns Turkey day in the Am. I'll nap after I eat instead of ski.

Geoff":3u3zjy1v said:
I'm getting really bored skiing the same terrain at Killington. Bring on winter, pleeeeeze.

I'm in Denver tomorrow but I'm a little too busy to use my Colorado pass this trip. This work thing sucks.

id rather ski 1 trail and soft snow when it's 45f to 50f and sunny all day long than 100 trails when it's 5f and it's hard packed, man made crappola

joegm":17tamwtl said:
Geoff":17tamwtl said:

id rather ski 1 trail and soft snow when it's 45f to 50f and sunny all day long than 100 trails when it's 5f and it's hard packed, man made crappola

holy $hit joe! were are gonna get along just fine. i'd rather ski wachusett in perfect corn than anywhere in the wasatch in chopped up crap.

the riv tomorrow will be very, very good. i don't get sick of one trail if every turn is a perfect one. i'll be there tomorrow joe. leaving for my buds lake house in norway in a bit. surf this morning was not epic. good workout, but not worth missing 55 degree bluebird, no wind rivah t2b.

i'll look for patterned knees joe? i'll be the good lookin guy on atomics and fritchis. :mrgreen: lets form some bumps together.

rog

icelanticskier":ymqeowox said:
joegm":ymqeowox said:
Geoff":ymqeowox said:

holy $hit joe! were are gonna get along just fine. i'd rather ski wachusett in perfect corn than anywhere in the wasatch in chopped up crap.

the riv tomorrow will be very, very good. i don't get sick of one trail if every turn is a perfect one. i'll be there tomorrow joe. leaving for my buds lake house in norway in a bit. surf this morning was not epic. good workout, but not worth missing 55 degree bluebird, no wind rivah t2b.

i'll look for patterned knees joe? i'll be the good lookin guy on atomics and fritchis. :mrgreen: lets form some bumps together.

rog

yellow predatorwear pants with black knee patches... black and white head mad trix mogul skis ( u'll recognize em those skinny skis that no one skis anymore :roll: :wink: ) ....black helmet.... c u there bro....

joegm":3rv4t02g said:

rog[/quote]

yellow predatorwear pants with black knee patches... black and white head mad trix mogul skis ( u'll recognize em those skinny skis that no one skis anymore :roll: :wink: ) ....black helmet.... c u there bro....[/quote]

i used to valet with the founder of predatorwear at the riv. i maybe with a group from burke on and off throughout the day. things are flat and fast up top. should soften up nice with rising temps 55, and full sun. we should be able to ski something in. the upper mtn may be too warm to blow tonight, but the lower mtn will be in the teens and that's where the snow really needs to be blown, so all should be a wonderful, white ribbon silly sport day. whoohoo, i won't sleep a wink tonight! :lol:

c u there

rog

Back