Greek Peak opening day 12/10/09

Powderqueen

For some reason, FTO isn't blocked today from my work computer, so I am going to take this opportunity to post a quick TR from yesterday's first ski outing.

The lifts started turning at noon as scheduled. Acid Christ skied by to ride chair 3 on the "bunny hill" known as Alpha slope as I chatted with old ski pals as we waited to board chair 1a.

We got on the 3rd chair and talked about our upcoming plans for the ski season, and the slowest lift ride in the world seemed to fly by much quicker than usual.

It had snowed 4" and then rained on top of that saturating whatever natural and manmade snow was on the ground. They had been making snow for the previous 5 days, so there was plenty of whiteness...but the consistency was far from snowy. They broke up the compressed refrozen substance with the grooming equipment and then packed it down.

Basically it was skiinng on packed death cookies and packed granular snow, although the snow report was calling it "packed powder". Powder it was not.

But it was skiing, so it was fun. I got to try out my new Volkl Snow Eagles, which will be my all-mountain mid-fat cruiser. They were a lot of fun.

I took 6 runs during an extended lunch hour and then headed back to my office for a meeting, with rosey cheeks and a grin.

Here in CNY the lake effect is pummelling the lee sides of the lakes. I may take a trip up north to sample some of that deep snow on the skinny skis. Snow Ridge may open, but they are a bit south of the big snow plume. Hopefully Skimore will let us know how things are going up there.

Attachments

• photoGP1.jpg
    photoGP1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,483
  • photoGP2.jpg
    photoGP2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • photoGP3.jpg
    photoGP3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,491
  • photoGP4.jpg
    photoGP4.jpg