Edelweiss QC, January 1-2, 2010 - New Decade

Patrick

Day 7
Month 52
Year 2010 - not sure how many years.
Decade 5

Friday January 1st, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR and new DECADE...

Skiing is always a great way to start the year, even better for a new decade. Morgane was super motivated to go skiing on New Year Day instead of running through the stores as we did on the previous day. Damn Boxing Week, I hate shopping. We spent New Year's Eve watching a DVD. After introducing and watching Back to the Future, kids went to bed real late.

We got a late start and we were able to get a halfday in. The skiing ended at 4pm today, most locals didn't do any nibght skiing on the 1st.

Hard to realize that Back to the Future is set in 1985 and they traveled back 30 years, to 1955. Now 1985 is already 25 years ago, so if we would traveled back 30 years ...it would be 1980.

I clearly remember 1980 (is it a sign that I'm getting old?), however not sure if I skied on that day in 1980. If I did (odds are that I skied at Tremblant on Jan 1st 1980 and skied Rossignol Freestyle-JR 150cm back then). Might have also skied on Jan 1st 1970, probably at Sun Valley or Belle Neige QC...not sure where we spent a skiweek in 1970 (SV was the year before BN at probably was close to New Years). Since the start of the 80s, I've recorded my ski days. Contrary to December 23nd where I've never skied in the last 29 years I've kept numbers, New Year has been a ski day on 11 occasions. New Decade? 3 in 3, 5/5 lifetime?

1990 - Mont Blanc QC with the ski team with my Rossi 4Ss - 207cm.
2000 - Tremblant after partying in MTL until 4am. Yellow Rossi 7Ss - 201cm.
2010 - Edelweiss halfday with the Atomic SL11 at a powderful 157cm. Back to the Future indeed length wise.

Snow report for Edelweiss was reporting 0cm (not that I think that snowstats is a big concern here), however it has been snowing for the last day or so. Ottawa reports 7cm on December 31 and it continued snowing ever since until now (January 3rd). December 28th surfaces were issshhh!!! Today was delightful, no signs of the icy surfaces from earlier in the week. Oh yeah, as mentioned on the December 28th, Zoomer was now open (half wide), but for some reason, top of Yodeler was closed although the online snowreport mentioned otherwise.

Temps was about -4c, but the place was fairly deserted. We lost Morgane once we arrived as she ran into 2 friends from High School, so we didn't really ski with her. Morgane and her friends were already in after a few runs. It would seem that people started showing up in the last 2 hours. Last run of the day was a run down Zoomer with Tara and Morgane and a friend on a snowboard. The friend has dropped a mitten from the chair, but never found it.

Saturday January 2nd, 2010

Snow continued...early start as Morgane is starting her ski program. BRrrrr!!! -16c. It was a day of running around between kids and wife, staying in with frozen daughter while trying to get some turns in-between. We were at the mountain at 9am and the hill was covered with a few extra fresh centimeters of fresh snow. We lost Morgane to her program, instead of her friends. She was going to get more skiing in today, regardless of the temps. Same setup as the previous day, the top of the Zoomer pitch had broom course training and a bit narrow for some fun turns. Fresh snow tracks down on the lower part of Yodeler and left and right on the mountain. Tara had great time skiing trackless snow. Morgane got in at 2:30pm with totally frozen feet and called it a day. Once the wife and Tara were done, I went to make two last runs down Zoomer. Didn't ski with Morgane today, but she enjoyed her experience.

Day ended on a sour note, my wife got her poles stolen. :evil: Now I need to replace my poles and her poles also.

Sunday January 3rd, 2010

No comments. ](*,)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8467

Don't worry Tony, I got my January turns, I have until February 28nd until my next ski day. :twisted: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Back