Gatineau mole hills QC: 18-31 January 2010 - mixed emotions

Patrick

7 ski outings in 14 days. 4 of them at night, all local. Ski all 4 of the Gatineau Hill Ski areas which are all within 40km from downtown Ottawa.

I lamented in a previous post that this month was the end of a streak.

The 8th year streak of skiing on last Tuesday of January as Roll-Back-the-Clock Day was postponed to April 1st due to the Monday rain.
11th year steak of skiing outside the province of Quebec in January.
Not since 1992, haven't I skied a mountain more than 1250ft vertical (381 meters) in the month of January. So that was 17th year streak over...Last year racing, after that I went bezerk and skied mostly 2k+ ski areas. Starring to get that 1992 Feeling. Too many days, too many mole hills. In the late 80s/early 90s, it was the lower Laurentians, now it's the Gatineau hills.

Another reason why I don't like Mondays as I'm typing this late on a Sunday night.

Here is a song that was real big in Montreal, especially after Blue Monday. :-(
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaHAvEEbQOE[/youtube]

Okay, that bad Monday was at the end of the month. Prior to that, skiing, snow coverage and base was awesome, regarding of the low snow year.

Edelweiss QC, Monday night January 18th :shock: :shock: :shock:

A night of firsts. First ski outing with the school ever for Morgane and I was a parent volunteer. A few days prior to this trip, I was told that there wasn't enough place in the car so if I could bring my daughter and her friend, it would be great.

I had to be at my daughter High School at 3ish as the plan departure was at 3:30pm. Drove up with two 12 year old girls waiting to listen to this crapping music on the car radio.

Tik Tok, is this song ever going to end???
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWcCbbB382I[/youtube]

Once at the hill, it was real warm for a January night, -1c. The girls got ready inside the car plus my daughter didn't need to get a ticket as she has a season pass for Edelweiss. It would seem that a number of the kids from the bus haven't ski much. My daughter friend had very short straight skis, her brother helmet (helmets were mandatory) and no poles. Oh yeah, a teacher (?) had old laced leather boots that he found in a garage sale and snow blades!!! :-o

A few of them were renting. All kids, without exception, had to follow a 1-hour lesson. I don't recall any lessons given our school outings, but was a looong time ago. I know I didn't get any, not that it was needed. I can understand this especially after this pass week's tragic accident at Calabogie Peaks 80km west of Ottawa, The article below also mentioned the previous death during a school trip on Zoomer at Edelweiss back in 2002. So you can see why the school. Very sad.

Ottawa Citizen, Girl, 11, dies on school ski trip - Hits tree on easy slope at Calabogie Peaks
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Girl+ ... story.html

I asked the teachers if they needed any help, nope, you can just ski. So while all the kids were sent on Chemin des Bois/Easy Street/Principale, etc. Zoomer was nice and freshly groomed with way better conditions. Had my slalom skis and processed to crank turns down Zoomer. I might have skied 2 runs on the other run to see if I could see the group and now it was going. After the 1-hour lesson, most kids when to eat. Skied a few runs with my daughter down Zoomer. She was complaining about skiing greens in the lesson. After 17 runs and maybe 15 down Zoomer on Slalom skis in less than 4-hours, my back was hurting.

Buses were leaving at 9pm and so did we. Daughter wasn't impressed plus it cost her $13 for the mandatory lesson and $11 for the transportation from the school to the hill. So instead of free skiing, it cost her $24 to ski with the school and not even ride the yellow bus. :(

Mont Cascades QC, Wednesday night January 20th
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

So after that school outing, I decided to see my chiropractor. Back was real sore and ending for our first Masters Slalom of the season at Cascades. Ouch!!! -7c felt chilling in a skin suit, especially when it's been warm this season. Conditions were rougher in the course, I didn't really get to ski the conditions outside the course except when I lost a ski in the 2nd run.

I was pretty stiff in run number 1. Lost a ski on the 2nd run, no 3rd run. - crap. You can't win a beer at every race.

No inspection prior and when we were running late, 3rd run got canceled so I couldn't get a result and catch my betting buddy. Contributed to Eric nice haul. Beer count for the season: 2-1. I just got 4 runs in, didn't really feel like making more turns tonight.

It was Hot 89.9 Radio station Ski night at Cascades. The lot was park and so was the bar at the end of the night. that my daughter listen to....I can't get away from that music. ](*,)

From http://www.ottawamasters.ca

Race 3 SL Cascade in review
A field of 47 racers!
What a great time! Possibly one of the best races ever. The temperature was perfect, The snow conditions outstanding. And the course? Well, I would have to say it may have one of the bet sets ever. I don't know how Troy done it, but I knows he done it. When everybody was commenting about the outstanding set, and what a great course it was, you know something is right. Thanks Troy, good job.
It was a long slalom, with racers posting 45 sec +. A great turnout. We had so many racers that for the first time in a long time we did not have enough time to run a third. Nobody was disappointed though. We got our moneys worth.
Bob stepped up on the podium taking gold for the first time this year. Ron continued his winning ways with a silver, and I think, a first time podium finish for the Fastest Ski Patroller, Andy Mason with a bronze.
For the ladies, Brigit Laberge, a new member topped the list. Stephanie Mandal silver and bronze for her first outing of the season, the lovely Renee Lefrancois.
Special mention to Eric Brouillard who placed 8th, a top ten finish and a nice haul in the lodge after. An Atta Boy goes to Pete Kunstadt who beat me by 1/100 of a sec. How did he do that?

Temp: started at -3, dropped to -8. Crystal clear with a slight breeze on top.

Edelweiss QC, Thursday night January 21th :roll:

I didn't necessarily want to ski much the previous night as I knew I was getting back out tonight.

Helping out for the Cadet Cup. Not much to do, some people had already done all the work. Also found out that ordering food at the Edelweiss Bar is very long. The bar was virtually empty. No wonder they don't serve food when we finish our Master races here, it would take until 3am to get everyone served. Temperature was -8c and snow had set perfectly on Strief run. This run hadn't been open for lack of snow. Stayed out for 1 hour and skied 4 runs until the person that I got a ride with had enough, which was fine with me.

Edelweiss QC, Saturday January 23rd :popcorn: :ski:

A nice cool -22c that morning. Morgane's NG program day plus I was gate keeper at the Cadet Cup Junior race hosted by the club. Whole family was out, eventually skied a few runs with them. Like 4 runs in my entire day.

My day consisted of standing all day outside in the pitch. A made nice step in the steep so I wouldn't slide all the way down the steep pitch. When it was time to ski with my kids at the end of the day, it had warm nicely to -10c.

Camp Fortune QC on 2010-01-27 :ski: \:D/

Slalom on Slalom. Great amazing conditions after the rain. Good race, unfortunately my beer buddy was DNS, so I couldn't get him to pay up. Beer Tally still 2-1.

24-36 hours after the big rain event. Skis were ready for ice, but I was skiing some lose powder, packed powder conditions with maybe 10-15cm of fresh snow and -8c. The course wasn't even on ice, snow stuck perfectly to the ice. I did a bunch of runs afterwards as the conditions was so nice.

From http://www.ottawamasters.ca

Race 4 SL Camp Fortune
45 racers
Another great time! Fortune runs a tight ship with the race set, starter in position, a coral, all set and ready to roll for 7:00. Too bad we weren't. We're only slow getting to start gate. After the deluge we had on Monday I was worried the hill would be bad, but it survived and was in great shape. The falling temperature ensured a firm base without it being bullet proof. We all got in three runs and the 3rd was pretty good. It held very well.
Frank Bernier showed the old dog still has the bone by giving us a really good set. It was a challenging course and I really worked it. I heard nothing but nods.
Bob stepped up on the podium again taking a second gold of the season. Ron continued in his footsteps with a silver. The bronze was nailed by Vern
For the ladies, Brigit Laberge, is cleaning up this year. Eloise a silver and the bronze to Johanne
The executive met in secret and decided to go all out and raise the beer points award to $10! Unbelievable how crazy we are. Who else gives you this kind of ski racing? Nooooo Body. Special congrats goes to Kurt Sjolund who pulled an amazing 31:37, beating himself by an incredible 125%. He even beat me. I want his wax. Or his Red Bull.

As I write this, it's minus 15 out and the wind is blowing the dog off the chain. We've been so lucky with the weather this year. The race was sandwiched between Tuesdays mush and Thursdays arctic monkeys. Race night Temp: -4, Vis, Crystal clear (again) with little breeze. Driving conditions: Excellent, driving time to hill: 38 minutes.

Edelweiss QC, Saturday January 30th :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pretty cold start at -25c, eventually warmed up to -16c. Only Morgane and I went to the hill. It was race program day and Tara was tired of skiing the same area all the time. Plus it was pretty cold. After realizing that I noticing that my zipper was split in half when my season pass was, I had the surprise to find out the cost of a replacement season pass. I was pretty pissed and I felt to ski 8 runs today, conditions weren't as nice. Machine groomed on a firm base is the appropriate term. Snow guns are going with is pretty rare this time of the year.

Fees to replace a lost season pass?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8602

Vorlage QC, Sunday January 31th :ski: :-D :mrgreen:

Morgane's second race. She did great...but she doesn't like racing at Vorlage...too flat. Where did I hear that before? Family skied together and Tara carved the final pitch of Hot Dog on Ice like it was a bunny hill. Nice!!! I got (again) a totally new respect for my mother as Tara (7) wanted us to ride the old T-Bar together. Morgane had fun, she decided she wanted to be pushed by a snow gun. She backed up until was about 2 feet from the nose of the gun and the snow/water was flying around her. Real Nice!!! She was so wet and had a sleet of ice on her jacket, I got 16 runs in today in 7 hours, although is flatter and small, it was real nice day and a nice change for the HSQ Edelweiss.

It's already Monday...and I need to work tomorrow. I don't like Mondays... :-( :-( :-( Need to go to sleep...

Back