Mont Cascades QC - Wed race night, February 10, 10

Patrick

Another great night at the Ottawa Masters.

Zero Celsius at Cascades tonight. This was a GS, but it was the closest thing the Masters event had to a Super G. Super "Great" course, using most of the hill and terrain features. Long cross pitch delay after a fall away turn, roll and turn on top of a knoll on the side of the trail then a straight tuck towards the finish.

I always love racing here, tonight was no exception. Not as technical as usual, more letting the ski runs.

This was the first head-to-head competition with my betting partner. After missing the last race at Edelweiss due to illness which sounded like a crazy race (see description below) and my betting partner missing the previous one, it was game on. Beer Tally was 2-1 for MadPat.

First run: +0.33 second advantage.
Second run: I'm 2 tens slower and my competition has a faster run. I skied a slightly different line, not sure where to pass on the knoll. Cumulative after 2nd run: -0.12 second deficit.

This is Ottawa Masters racing...it's the best 2 out of 3 runs. One more chance. Awesome 3rd run, I looked at my time as I crossed the finish almost the same time as 1st run, I've improved my time 0.21 seconds. \:D/ Happy of my run..thinking that I gotten my beer only to find out that the guy I was competing against got his best run, betting me by a full second on that run. Winning by 1.24 second. Great job. I was happy to buy him a beer, that what Masters racing is all about. :-D

Beer score for the season: 2-2.

Snow conditions were nice, however I decided to head back in as I was having back issues the previous two days. :?

Ottawa Masters' description for the Edelweiss race the previous week (February 3rd)
Race 5 GS Edelweiss
44 racers -3C start, -8 finish. Some flurries and blowing snow. The drive was uneventful. The hwy 5 extension sure is nice. The lift ride was positively balmy.
We are getting the best of the best this year. We have not even had to consider the No Skin Suit rule. My bar of ultra cold go-fast wax has not even been out its plastic baggie. No Rain, no postponements, no cancellations. Noisce. The race #5 synopsis was captured poetically by Renee on Facebook, so I'll just use the rare cut n paste method of bringing her prose to you rather than duplicating effort:

My first GS of the season - thankfully I remembered all the right gear. It was snowing pretty hard at the start of the night but cleared up nicely for race time. People were having a good laugh at the mysterious second delay and I didn't meet anyone who was confident ...that they skied it right (as in left :) ). I think the timing is not in the right order because I'm certain my third run was my fastest, I'm working on being quicker edge to edge. The temperature dropped something fierce after 8:30, was glad that pull down didn't take long. Missed quite a few of the regulars tonight but it was nice to meet some new faces too.
-Renee

Back