Camp Fortune QC - Wed night pow race February 24, 10

Patrick

Slalom on Slalom. The short trail that gets steeper and ends quickly.

Snowing hard. 15cm since Tuesday, maybe a bit more at the closest hill from town.

I left late from home as I was planning into getting the storm goods and make my first or one of my rare excursion outside the locals. The initial plan was to leave in the snow towards Montreal then leave to (destination unknown???) for a Thursday-Friday powder skiing. Actually the real initial plan was to hit Stowe for 2-3 days early in the week, but with the potential big storm coming plus the work issues, I decided to wait and keep my options open. Although the Catskills seemed to be the bull eye for this storm, NoVT wasn't going bad either. Reports talked about 2-3 feet. What was I going to do? Talk of rain across VT except above 2000ft. Decision, decision. :-k

First off, tonight race. Slalom again this week. The late start from home, the traffic getting out of town and a race that starts at the schedule time, I opted to forget about an going inspection. The hill was coverage with heavy snow, the course was somewhat side slipped.

First of three runs. I was doing great until that flush at the bottom followed by a shape left. The new slalom skis (2nd race on them) got away from me and flipped when I hit the pile of heavy snow next to the perfect line. Got winded as I landed hard on my ribs. Part of my binding fell off too.

Besides people being happy to finally see new snow, people were focus on the do-or-die Olympic Hockey game between Canada and Russia. A lost and it was over without a medal. Some of the racer were getting update via their cellphone. It's 1-0. Russia? No Canada!!! :mrgreen: Skied conservatively in the next two runs. As the course was skied, it started to look like a mixed between a bobsleigh run and skier-cross at the end. Oh yeah, it was a powder night.

Liftee mentioned 4-1. What??? One of the racer mentioned that he was going to be really upset if it's a joke. A few of Masters racers stayed to ski the fun fresh snow, but most people headed straight for the bar to watch the conclusion of the game. Walked into the bar and it was 7-3 for Canada at the end of the 2nd period. It ended that way. Lost another beer bet, oh yell. :-s

Oh yeah, when it was time to leave. My car and a bunch of other were boxed in a 3rd row of cars. WTF??? I was tired and burning a day off from work for uncertainty, I decided to not leave for Montreal and to work the next day.

Patrick":236se2ds said:
Part of my binding fell off too.

Let me guess; Since it happened in a race course neither the binding mfg nor the ski shop considers it as under warranty. A few more weeks left to even up your bar tab by seasons end.

EMSC":dssw5er0 said:
Patrick":dssw5er0 said:
Part of my binding fell off too.

Let me guess; Since it happened in a race course neither the binding mfg nor the ski shop considers it as under warranty.

Binding is okay. It was the plastic piece in front of the plate under the toe piece of the that flied off, I was able to wedge it back in at home. I was surprised that the piece isn't glued on anything. The ski shop owner races with me plus I found out at the Ottawa Ski Shop that the ski rep from the ski manufacturer was a teammate of mine and Lucky Luke in my last years on the University Ski team. :-$

EMSC":dssw5er0 said:
A few more weeks left to even up your bar tab by seasons end.

Not to give it away, we had a race last night. So I'll try to update the beer tally in that TR. It's getting late in our ski race season.

It was the plastic piece in front of the plate under the toe piece of the that flied off
This is the same piece that fell off one of Richard's bindings at Snowbird last year. But he didn't recover the piece and no one will try to repair the binding. Of course the binding is ~10 years old and mounted on a Volant metal ski.

Back