Mt Cardigan & Firescrew, NH - 3/20/05

A

Anonymous

We skied up to the top of the Dukes Pasture, past the remnants of the old rope tow car engine, leaving AMC Cardigan Lodge at 11AM. Skiing up the Dukes Trail under sunny skies, through hardwood forests, the sun was beating on the snow, and the full length of the Dukes was softening up in the sun. We had a great tour to the top of Firescrew, reaching the summit about 1:15PM.

Views of the White Mountains were beautiful. From Firescrew, we watched a skier and rider make two runs in what looked like dry powder conditions on the shaded aspects of the Cardigan summit, along Holt Trail. We skied across the ridge from Firescrew to Mt Cardigan, and summitted before 2PM.

After a quick lunch on the stairs of the fire tower, we walked down the summit ledges to the top of the snowfields, and descended past the Wardens Cabin. The summit snowfields on that side were softening up in the sun. In the trees below the cabin, it was a mix of dry powder in the shade, mashed potatoes on the sunny side, and setting up in between. We followed the Clark Trail down to the Alexandria Ski Trail, where it opened up and the best skiing began. There was still an occasional powder shot on the shady skiers right, but down here the sun was softening up the middle and skiers left. From the bottom of the Alexandria, we had a nice run down the hiking trails via Grand Junction, arriving back at the Lodge about 3PM.

Still learning to attach the picts!

Attachments

• IMG_0550a.JPG
    IMG_0550a.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 13,830
  • IMG_0547a.JPG
    IMG_0547a.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 13,814
Opps, I reversed the photo captions! I'm just getting the hang of attachments in the new PHP BBS. Lower left of the Cardigan view (with fire tower on summit) shows the snow off the Holt Trail where we watched the skier & rider taking 2 runs.

Super sweet! I've hiked the area in the summer and have wanted to ski it for years. It doesnt look particularly gnarly and I dont think it has much vertical but it looks like a really nice tour.
Lincolns Throat is at the top of my short list. It should be prime now.
((*
*))NHPH

This attachment of Lftgly's, showing a topo of his tour, was lost during last night's BBS hack:

cardigan2.jpg

Back