Eastern closing thread - 2009-10

Patrick

Record temps in the summer range plus low snowfall is bringing down the 2009-10 season to a close real fast in Quebec. A few of them shutdown on Saturday and weren't able to make it to Easter Sunday or Monday (Holiday).

Here are the ones that are looking into to next weekend. Compared to the prevision years, not much is left (ski areas and snow wise on the slopes). Only 4* of the 12 following aren't East of Quebec City.

Some of the ski areas listed below are closed midweek.

Quebec:

*Mont Sutton - April 11
Le Massif - April 11
*La Réserve - April 11
*Tremblant - April 11
Stoneham - April 11
Mont Edouard - April 11
Massif du Sud - April 18
Val d'Irène - April 18
Mont Ste-Anne - April 25
*Mont St-Sauveur - TBD
Mont Miller - TBD
Mont Comi - TBD

NH:

Bretton Woods - April 11
Cannon - April 11
Sunapee - April 11
Waterville - April 11
Loon - April 12
Wildcat - April 25

VT:

Smugglers' Notch ???
Snow - April 11
Okemo - April 11
Stratton - April 11
Stowe ???
Killington - May 2
Sugarbush - TBD
Jay - TBD

ME:

Saddleback - April 11
Sunday River
Sugarloaf

NY:

Bristol
Hunter
Holimont
Gore
Belleayre - April 11
Whiteface - April 11
Holiday - April 16

NC:

Appalachian - April 11
Cataloochee - April 11

I didn't have time to do much research, but if you have a tentative closing date, please bring it forward.

According to the website, Gore will open one more day - April 10.

Many of those who skied this weekend are finding it tough to believe that there will be skiing that day.

BBQ on the deck is planned.

Here's what someone who works for Stowe had to say on the skivt list last (Sunday) night:
For those planning on coming next weekend to Stowe...

The past several days have wrecked havoc on the snowpack. We hope to make
it till Sunday, April 11th, but there are no guarantees at this point...it
is a day to day assessment at this point. After tomorrow, the FourRunner
Quad will be the only lift running; some walking may be required though the
groomers are doing their best to keep snow around the base area and keep as
many trails continuous as possible. Its still awesome, classic spring
skiing with massive soft bumps on most trails but a lot of the terrain
became fragmented after the past few days. If you don't mind a little grass
skipping here or there, you can still ski quite a bit of terrain. High
elevation woods are still ok (Bypass Woods/Chutes were a lot of fun today)
but mid elevation stuff (2,500ft and lower) is done...

So again, the goal is to get to the 11th but it is day-to-day at this point
with melting now going on 24/7. A hard freeze to lock up the snow for at
least a few hours would really help but it doesn't look like its in the
cards.

Bristol Mountain is closed now too. A handful of hardy souls were out on Sunday, but the cover is melting fast.

Attachments

• rocketcamstill.jpg
    rocketcamstill.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 6,270
Killington right now looks like it usually does the 2nd or 3rd week of April. The natural snow trails below 3500 feet are done. If it doesn't get below freezing soon, Superstar will be the only intact trail as things melt out from both above and below.

Geoff":2759ogjx said:
Killington right now looks like it usually does the 2nd or 3rd week of April. The natural snow trails below 3500 feet are done. If it doesn't get below freezing soon, Superstar will be the only intact trail as things melt out from both above and below.
I was at K yesterday and thought they had great coverage on non-south facing man made trails. Considering no snow in March and the recent record warmth preceeded by four days of rain and not having gotten below freezing in over a week... they are doing better than most. Many of their trails still had 3-4 foot base with wall to wall coverage (but quite a few were hurting too, most non-southern man made trails were solid though). Not saying they are not a week or two ahead of time... but just want to give a full picture here. Outside of the Loaf, I think K has the best chance of going longest this season based on what I saw Sunday.

riverc0il":oemglqus said:
Geoff":oemglqus said:
I was at K yesterday and thought they had great coverage on non-south facing man made trails. Considering no snow in March and the recent record warmth preceeded by four days of rain and not having gotten below freezing in over a week... they are doing better than most. Many of their trails still had 3-4 foot base with wall to wall coverage (but quite a few were hurting too, most non-southern man made trails were solid though). Not saying they are not a week or two ahead of time... but just want to give a full picture here. Outside of the Loaf, I think K has the best chance of going longest this season based on what I saw Sunday.

I can usually walk over and ski Northstar and Great Bear the 3rd weekend of April after they stop spinning the Snowdon quad. Northstar is done and Great Bear is connect-the-dots. With the minimal snowfall in January through Presidents week, Killington resurfaced their main snowmaking trails quite a bit so they have enough impervious base to keep a fair amount open for another weekend or two. Unless it returns to a more typical sustained freezing at night / soften during the day cycle, they'll be Superstar-only by April 19th.

icelanticskier":3lhexwh2 said:
just ski here. 100% open through april 3rd and still a ton open with great cover at the king of spring. hope to get another trip or 2 there b4 the april 25th closing.

http://www.sugarloaf.com/TheMountain/Da ... index.html

rog

With distances like that from NYC I might as well fly out west. I could also go to the Gaspe' peninsula, but something tells me it would still be easier to go out west. I'm hitting hunter this sunday for the closing, that is if more than 2 trails are open.

icelanticskier":95ti130w said:
just ski here. 100% open through april 3rd and still a ton open with great cover at the king of spring. ....
http://www.sugarloaf.com/TheMountain/Da ... index.html
I love the Loaf and skied there quite a bit. It's simple for you to suggest, but from central CT it was a 7+ hr drive in good weather. You have to remember that for the vast majority of northeastern skiers, Sugarloaf is simply too far for even a 3-day weekend.

Geoff":19iosbom said:
Unless it returns to a more typical sustained freezing at night / soften during the day cycle, they'll be Superstar-only by April 19th.

Killington is already down to Snowshed and Superstar only for this weekend.

After two weeks of blowtorch heat, I think we're back to normal temps, but the damage has already been done.

On to mountain biking...

jasoncapecod":3xrmc685 said:
Hunter closed.....
That says it all about eastern snow preservation considering the massive dump there at the end of February. And this over what was presumably a very dense manmade base. Anywhere in the West you could take it to the bank that the snow would last at least 2 months after a storm like that.

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort closed for the season this past Sunday with the fourth highest visitation level in its 45-year history. Over 413,684 skiers graced the slopes of Jackson Hole this winter.
This demonstrates the inflexibility of bookings into remote destinations. Jackson had quality skiing on the whole mountain for about 3 weeks (late January to mid-February) this season, so I suspect there were a lot of disappointed vacationers.

That says it all about eastern snow preservation considering the massive dump there at the end of February. And this over what was presumably a very dense manmade base. Anywhere in the West you could take it to the bank that the snow would last at least 2 months after a storm like that.

night time temps have been above freezing for almost 2 weeks. We have had several days in the 80's , some days approached 90..
I don't know of any where except a glacier that could survive summer time temps..

jasoncapecod":w2l45h2m said:

night time temps have been above freezing for almost 2 weeks. We have had several days in the 80's , some days approached 90..
I don't know of any where except a glacier that could survive summer time temps..

That says it all. We had two massive rain storms followed by unseasonably high temps for a bit more than 2 weeks. It is rare when the lows in late march/early april are averaging in the mid to low 60s. The temps have returned to normal after this last little system but by now it is too late.

jamesdeluxe":1p0ibbzl said:
This is Crocker's east-coast variant of his Snowbird/Alta argument.
+1
Mr. Statistics, gatekeeper of the accurate snow and weather data analysis, once again grabs a single datapoint outlier as the basis for an entire thesis. :troll: :snowball fight: :sabre fight: :dead horse: :rotfl: :stir: :brick:

Back