M.S.S.I.: November 21, 2010

Patrick

For links and images (no pics) associated to this thread, check out the original at my blog at Ski Mad World. Some of you main ask that now that I have a blog will my TRs have pics or be posted in a timely manner? Probably...not.

M.S.S.I. = Mad Skiing Sauveur on Ice.

The Weekend

Another trip to Montreal to take care of business this weekend (Nov. 20-21). I was hoping to get some turns at Sunday River on the previous week, but Friday the 12th felt more like Friday the 13th. :( I couldn't get all what I had planned in Montreal due to a stupid postponed appointment on the 11th while I had already made the trip down. What's up with people that worked in the construction/renovation/electrical trades? Okay, I know it's a generalization just like the title of this TR (as it wasn't really ice everywhere).

For that Friday I found out that Lucky had just gone under the knife...asked Riverc0il if he planned to return to Sunday on Friday? It could have made a real confusion post title going somewhat like this: Mad at Sunday on Friday with River. Anyway, it became a moot point as I needed to see the electrician (reason #1 why I was in MTL) as it was postponed the next day. :( So instead of making a long drive back from Maine, I returned to Ottawa with a car full of boxes again on top of 2 unused pairs of skis.

The next weekend:

Same trip with the same two pairs of skis. One more serious option was added as Mont St-Sauveur became the first Quebec ski area to open ...again. The previous week possibilities were Kmart (Killington) and Sunday River, Kmart being a non-option for the price quality ratio. River was thinking River, Lucky was still sidelined. I'm sure the skiing would have been much better at Sunday, but Sunday was slightly sidetracked again. I had made a call at MSS to see if my Edelweiss pass (part of the MSSI group) was honoured like it was a few years ago when Edelweiss's wasn't open. I hadn't my pass yet, but I was told that they could make it. Great!!! Running around was taking it's toll and if I could saved myself a long drive and get a few turns to focus on my pleasant thoughts, that all what I had asked for.

My business was pretty much all gone, except two small items that I needed to get done like recuperating my late mom's new flatscreen TV. The 1978 RCA colour lost much of it's colour. Left Montreal from her home at 9:45 with the skis and the flatscreen TV in the back. Driving North on the Laurentians Autoroute there was a huge billboard, "Mont St-Sauveur, les premiers à ouvrir... ENCORE!!!" :O

The Skiing

I was at the Mont St-Sauveur parking lot getting changed in about 40 minutes and about the same number of miles later. There was a number of cars, a good crowd on this second day of the season for the classic Hill 70-West. Snowguns were shooting up on Nordiq in order to open some time soon. Since my last visit, the Triple had been replaced by a quad with a rolling carpet like I've seen at a number of places in the Alps. Opening season at St-Sauveur never really changed, except for fashion. The colours!!!! Jibbers, boarders, skiers, racers all mixed on a fairly crowded WROD (White Ribbon of Death). Surfaces on most of the trail was pretty slick, if not icing. I had brought the old XXXs, but knowing I needed some edges, I opted for the Rossi B2s. In hindsight, I should have taken my older slalom skis. The coverage on top of the 200 meter vertical ribbon wasn't deep, but it wasn't moving with the -6c high, it was frozen solid. After 2 runs I was sent at the ticket as I was informed that starting this year with a pass from another MSSI mountain, I needed to pick up a day pass at the ticket window. So I was curious, how much were they charging for this? $38 + taxes. Not surprised, definitely the lowest in term of price/quality in the East, but also the closest to a big metropolitan area. Once lunch was over, crowds started again, so after 13 runs and 2 hours of sliding, I didn't want to push my luck and I called it day 2 for the season and month 62.

Looked up once back at Ski Mad World Central:
Last visit at the ski area was back and skiing free with my Edelweiss pass on Saturday May 7th 2005. Here is Frankontour old TRs on Zoneski and FTO

Before some people start talking on the forum that this day being streak related, here are two TRs from the visit previous to beautiful May Day, both were in November 2003 when I didn't have a pass.

November 10th on the second day of the season and one day after Admin from FTO drove from Albany to ski it and November 28th in the rain.

I didn't have a camera and didn't really care about repeating pictures that I've taken already back on November 10th (first time online on the internet). Pretty much the same, except the fashion of course.

The Museum

I believe my last visit at the Laurentian Ski Museum was related to those ski days in November 2003 when it was located within the walls of a St-Sauveur-des-Monts restaurant. Since that time, the LSM were given some space of the old Fire Station building on Fillion Street next to a huge St-Sauveur church. The exhibit space is located in the old Fire station garage. The temporary exhibit was on Ski School and Instructors in the Laurentian, birth place of the first North American ski school in 1911. I spent over 2 hours reading and talking to the museum volunteer and publicist. Really enjoyed my visit, if you are around Mont St-Sauveur, you should stop over...better yet, give them (or any ski museum), become a member or give a donation.

At the end of the day, I could see Habitant and Olympia were also blowing snow. The 2:15 drive from St-Sauveur directly to Ottawa made for a nice change from the 2 hour yoyoing I've been going between Montreal and Ottawa of late. It wasn’t the hard work from my last two ski outings, it wasn’t ever close to being “orgasmics” like my last dozen plus skis days from June to September, but it was skiing and fresh air. Can’t wait for my next day on skis. Where will it be and when? I don’t have a clue.

Of course it's streak related with conditions like this. But the price and convenience were reasonable.

Tony Crocker":ot4uc8c8 said:
Of course it's streak related with conditions like this. But the price and convenience were reasonable.

:rotfl: :dead horse: :rotfl: :troll: :rotfl:

Patrick":ot4uc8c8 said:
Before some people start talking on the forum that this day being streak related, here are two TRs from the visit previous to beautiful May Day, both were in November 2003 when I didn't have a pass.

November 10th on the second day of the season and one day after Admin from FTO drove from Albany to ski it and November 28th in the rain.

The only difference between 2010 and 2003 is:
- it was free (I paid for 3 days in 2003).
- and it didn't rain (see Nov 28, 2003).
- now I try to ski once a month...regardless if it's November or January.

How do you explain Admin trip to MSS from Albany?

My motto: A day of skiing is better than a day without skiing.

Patrick":1tbndg6v said:
...or August or September. That's why it's called The Streak. ](*,)

For what it's worth this is only the 11th November I've skied of 34 years I've been skiing regularly. Mt. High and Big Bear usually have WROD's like this report in late November (probably better snow actually), but I'll pass.

Tony Crocker":22j8bgkv said:
Patrick":22j8bgkv said:
...or August or September. That's why it's called The Streak. ](*,) .

The record shows that I would have skied it regardless of a streak or not.

As for August and September, I'm willing to ski and sacrifice more now (plus better finances) than I was before. My skiing has resulted in a streak...not the other way around a streak would dictate my skiing habit.

Tony Crocker":22j8bgkv said:
For what it's worth this is only the 11th November I've skied of 34 years I've been skiing regularly.
You are not me Tony, this was my 8th November in a row (the last 6 being 'in' the streak, however when I skied month 2, couldn't really call it a streak, could I?). Last time I didn't ski in November was we had just moved and Tara was born that month. Started that season in January. Season before that...sick leave. Prior? election then leaving for France. Then you fall in my lean years...Prior to the lean years? 11 years in a row of November skiing (maybe more) until 1991-92, that sequence stops when I had to finish my thesis prior to flying to France for 2 months at the end of November.

8 in a row + 11 in a row = 19 Novembers since 1981-82 (19/30). The middle '11' where I didn't ski. Always said bang for the buck wasn't there in November. My May sequence is definitely much more impressive. So what was that 11 in a row without skiing? 7 specific reasons why I didn't for given years.

- Thesis and flying out to France for 2 months.
- For few years after University were lean years financially with rent to pay and loans to pay back.
- Started working in Ottawa in November and communiting every weekend (didn't start skiing until January that year).
- Out of work the following November.
- Massive work in the next.
- Morgane was born the previous month.
- Health issue and leave starting for week of November.
- Moved into a house one week before and Tara was born and didn't start that season until January.
- General Election end of November 2000 (I barely skied in January 2006 for the same reason).

Hope will put it to rest. :dead horse:

edit: All my ski days are out there Tony, check it out. November has for many years been weird as it was my last chance between Midterm (that killed any chance of October turns) and end of term exam starting early December. The same blackout period occurs after March where April days were pretty rare once I left High School and reach CEGEP and University.

Skiing has always been an addiction. I was the first in my surrounding to talk about skiing the South Hemisphere back in 1984. Now I have the means to do it. :twisted:

Patrick":3gt0sz7r said:
Always said bang for the buck wasn't there in November. My May sequence is definitely much more impressive.
This is something we can agree about. That's why I have 66 ski days in May and only 18 in November.

Tony Crocker":3hpkg89d said:
Patrick":3hpkg89d said:
Always said bang for the buck wasn't there in November. My May sequence is definitely much more impressive.
This is something we can agree about. That's why I have 66 ski days in May and only 18 in November.

That would also explain why during the lean years in the mid to late 90s, I did most of my skiing in the March-April window when the coverage was better, the deals were numerous and crowds were minimal. Without looking at my data, I believe since 1981-82, I've skied at least once every May except 1983 and 1998...all time where they were health issue.

Back