Edelweiss QC – December 18, 2010 - Do it for the kids!!!

Patrick

Back to Edelweiss…again?

Wait, it’s going to get worst, especially next week. I can’t even imagine next week as I thought I had found some GS skis for my daughter. Everything was going pretty well tracking some gear for my daughter’s race program. WRONG!!! Found out that the person selling them made a mistake on the length.(see below) Oh well, back to Square One.

The weather on this Saturday was ‘normal’. It had snow a bit every day this week. Bright sunny skies, no snow, no rain, nothing out of the ordinary. Definitely less interesting to write about.

We got in the parking lot 15 minutes late – we’re improving. We started making our turns it was -9c and pretty humid. The place was deserted. There was an improvement in the open terrain as Edelweiss was offering two full new ways down plus the tiny Chute was open. Snow conditions were winterlike; no better, no worst for this hill. Started making laps without slowing down…Easy Street on one run, Chemin des bois on the next…I would sometimes add the short Chute in the mix. There were the NCO team also at the hill today. The pitch from Easy Street added slightly more steepness in the day (I’m being positive). After 9 runs in about 90 minutes, I went back in as people started showing up. I was bored.

I took an extra long break talking to some other parents and eventually found one pair of GS skis for SteepMomo. Yes, one less worry before Christmas as we were going to check out a used speedsuit on Sunday instead of skiing. Everything was coming together.

Skiing alone on this terrain was getting boring, so I kidnapped a 6yr old girl to ski with me. I was stoked, she was stoked. She wanted to ski with her dad, but he was sidelined with an injury. So I offered to take her out. The temperature had warm up to about -2c. Skiing hills like these have a totally different perspective when you’re skiing with a child. We did two runs on the quad then Stella wanted to go to the magic carpet. 3 runs then back to the quad. She wanted to ski more, but Steepmomo’s program was done for the day. Some of you might wonder where was my own young daughter? She was at a birthday party. Steepmomo was also pretty stoked on her skiing. Yep, it's sometimes important to do it for the kids.

I presume it’s going to be much busier on my next visit on the other side of Christmas.

PS. Does anyone know where I can find a good deal for pair of Junior GS race skis about 150cm long? Oh yeah, I need them for next week.

Tony Crocker":dsc5i960 said:
Adam's first high performance skis were Rossi 7SKjr's at 150cm.

Last year Salomon T3Vs combi ski was pretty high performance. Today was her first day on the Fischer RC4 GS skis at 155...unfortunately she was sick and stop skiing at 10:30. Took a nap in the lodge and we finally decided to go home at lunch time. She slept all afternoon. As for myself, I managed 4 beautiful groomed runs before seeing her at the top of the hill all green and white...not talking about the difficulty of the trail.

Back