Bolton Valley, VT 12/24/2010

J.Spin

The boys opened up some early Christmas presents yesterday, so there was no way I was getting them up to the hill, but I was able to join up with Stephen and his kids for some turns. In the past we’ve had some great Bolton outings on Christmas Eve, with some nice natural snow terrain available and the mountain almost to ourselves. However, due to the sizeable amount of visitors we’d seen on Thursday, we were wondering what Friday would bring. Would more people have the day off, or would that be counteracted by more holiday obligations? Well, the visitors were back in a big way, apparently even bigger than what we’d seen on Thursday. On the way up to the main base, I stopped in for a look at Timberline, and it looked quite ready for the planned Sunday opening.

24DEC10A.jpg

24DEC10B.jpg

Conditions were very similar to Thursday, and a bit of wind had actually reset some of the powder to provide repeat fresh tracks. The wind also put down some wind crust, but it was pretty weak and didn’t change the snow too much. The weather and snow were both great, but with the lines and afternoon holiday obligations were all left around noontime. On the way down the road I saw that two Timberline lots were being used for additional parking, so business was certainly good.

24DEC10C.jpg

24DEC10D.jpg

24DEC10E.jpg

J.Spin

No new snow in my area so heading to Bolton Valley tomorrow with the 3 kids . Armed with with 2 for 1 tickets picked up at the Ottawa ski show and Canadian discounts on Burlington hotels. Hope the snow keeps falling , their latest report has 3" and lifts on wind hold.

It's chilly out with temperatures in the low double digits here in the valley, but I've been thinking of popping up to the mountain for a run. With the wind hold I'm thinking of skinning for a run to check out Timberline since we were out of town for yesterday's opening there. If I head up I'll send a report.

J.Spin":ux7dzr55 said:
It's chilly out with temperatures in the low double digits here in the valley, but I've been thinking of popping up to the mountain for a run. With the wind hold I'm thinking of skinning for a run to check out Timberline since we were out of town for yesterday's opening there. If I head up I'll send a report.
I think you guys would have a blast at Bolton based on what I found up there this afternoon; I'm working on the report right now.

Thanks, should be on the lifts at about 10.30 (driving,getting ready etc) . As a family guy no more sleeping in the car waiting for the lifts to open ! First road trip of the season in the never ending quest to search for new snow.

Back