Hunter

kingslug

Doing this on my phone so I'll keep it short. If you are thinking of coming. Up here ..do it. Conditions are still pretty good. Sorry no POW left they had to groom it..but its bumped up all over the place. WRm weather coming so get it while it lasts.

kingslug":3soea49i said:
Doing this on my phone so I'll keep it short. If you are thinking of coming. Up here ..do it. Conditions are still pretty good. Sorry no POW left they had to groom it..but its bumped up all over the place. WRm weather coming so get it while it lasts.
Sadly I can't make it till friday, but we will be going then! I'm glad to hear it's skiing nicely, and looking forward to it.

I was there on Tuesday. Conditions were great. What a treat to see skiers heading down Racer's Edge and not hear them from the lift, as in, there's powder on the slopes. Strong winds scoured the summit down to the slick/icy base. Hellgate was skied off by 11:00am - no surprise. Annapurna had nice powder on the top and bottom, but the middle section was mostly blown off by the wind.

Soft bumps on Lower Crossover, Clair's, Taylor's, Upper and Lower K-27, 42nd Street, which were ungroomed from the day before. By day's end, anywhere there was loose powder and a bit of pitch, it was bumped up.

kingslug":7pf4anps said:
Looks like more on the way for the weekend...keep it coming.

um... mostly in the form of rain, be careful for what you wish for.

NOAA forecast for Hunter:
New Year's Day: A chance of showers, mainly after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. South wind between 3 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: A chance of rain showers before midnight, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers before 9am, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 9am and 3pm, then a chance of snow showers after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

sheahunter":19u8agy8 said:
Amazing soft spring bumps all weekend. No rain at all.
That's good news. If they avoided rain even with the cool front coming in it shouldn't be completely boiler plate. It looks like we dodge a bullet.
Personally, I'm not too worried about it, next weekend I'll be in Utah, and then the weekend after I may head up to VT (3 day weekend). I shouldn't be heading over to Hunter for at least 2 weekends, so there is no point in complaining about what the conditions could be like by then. Also, by that point I might go a couple of days to the Bell, and try one at Platt. My only deterrent to those other areas is the Big Lift Card I bought for hunter. It makes it so much cheaper, Mid week $27, weekends $47...

I will say that I prefer the Terrain at hunter over Bell mainly as it has a lot more vert and allows my heart rate to get up a bit more. However, Bell has a nice vibe and also I think there is a gladed area over there that I've never skied. I think you take a cat to access it.

We'll see how much natural snow we get, because until then I see no reason to head over to Platt or Bell.

Forecast for the Northeast is calling for seasonably cold temps most of this week with a possibility of some snow this upcoming weekend and turning much colder after that. Should be, at least, good snowmaking weather for most ski resorts. Rained here in western Mass yesterday (just some showers) and was quite warm most of the weekend. Has finally turned colder. I have to believe the conditions are very "firm" at most ski areas today.

Tony Crocker":4vpwlwef said:
=
berkshireskier":4vpwlwef said:
conditions are very "firm"
IMHO

If there's even enough snow to operate:
Mad River Today Jan 03, 2011 at 06:30:00

The recent warm temps, rain and holiday traffic have really taken their toll. Unfortunately we have been forced to suspend operations this week until we get additional snow. As soon as we get enough the main mountain we will re-open immediately. If not we will plan on going with the Practice Slope and Callie’s Corner next weekend.

Marc_C":3od35o26 said:
If there's even enough snow to operate:
Maybe at MRG that's the case but certainly not at Hunter. The last storm deposited 18 inches ontop of a two-foot, albeit man made, base. It may be firm but that will only last for a couple days until they put another foot of man-made ontop of this, and then it's the waiting game till the next storm, which may come next weekend... while I'm in Utah skiing week old snow. :-( I just can't get the timing right on my trips to Utah recently. The last bunch of times I've been out there it has been during a high pressure time. I might get some snow sunday, but the real storm is supposed to arrive by monday, and I'll be gone by then.

No, just the observation that natural cover trails took a big hit this past weekend. Even Sugarbush, with a decent bit of snowmaking ability, went from 75 of 116 on Thursday to 48 open trails today.

rfarren":1fefibam said:
...next weekend... while I'm in Utah skiing week old snow. :-( I just can't get the timing right on my trips to Utah recently. The last bunch of times I've been out there it has been during a high pressure time.
IIRC, doesn't Tony's data suggest that while the Wasatch is perhaps the most reliable destination for advanced booking, there's still a 25% chance of no new snow during any given week?

Also, anecdotally (since I have no data to back it up), it seems that Jan is the least reliable month for new snow in the Wasatch. The data may suggest otherwise, but an awful lot of the last 10 Januarys have significant snow at the start and end of the month (thus skewing the figures) but the bulk of the month is fairly dry. One particularly memorable Jan had a 22 day inversion, with bright sun and 45F - 50F temperatures at 10K' while the valley was 18F and dense fog. Not only was there no new powder, it was full value spring conditions.

Marc_C":315ocqib said:
No, just the observation that natural cover trails took a big hit this past weekend. Even Sugarbush, with a decent bit of snowmaking ability, went from 75 of 116 on Thursday to 48 open trails today.
I don't think there is one natural cover trail at Hunter. I'm not saying that to rip on Hunter, but the lay it down the best of anyplace in the East, just IMHO.

Marc_C":23o73e45 said:
rfarren":23o73e45 said:
...next weekend... while I'm in Utah skiing week old snow. :-( I just can't get the timing right on my trips to Utah recently. The last bunch of times I've been out there it has been during a high pressure time.
IIRC, doesn't Tony's data suggest that while the Wasatch is perhaps the most reliable destination for advanced booking, there's still a 25% chance of no new snow during any given week?

Also, anecdotally (since I have no data to back it up), it seems that Jan is the least reliable month for new snow in the Wasatch. The data may suggest otherwise, but an awful lot of the last 10 Januarys have significant snow at the start and end of the month (thus skewing the figures) but the bulk of the month is fairly dry. One particularly memorable Jan had a 22 day inversion, with bright sun and 45F - 50F temperatures at 10K' while the valley was 18F and dense fog. Not only was there no new powder, it was full value spring conditions.

At least it won't be scratchy like it was last March when I was out there. The forecast is calling for cold weather right through my trip. This is my first time to Utah in January. I went once in February and got a huge storm. The remainder of my visits have been in March. I think that has been like 5 times, and I've only gotten a powder day once.

Either way, it will be nice to have all that terrain open and skiable, I haven't truly been off piste all season.

Marc_C":21xghol5 said:

Yea, I'm sure any ski areas in the east that rely on natural snow to cover their trails took a big hit over the past week, between the huge holiday crowds and the warm, rainy weekend. Even trails that had snowmaking on them were showing some bare spots on Sunday at my local mountain. Cold temps are back, though, and snowmaking should resume full force.

rfarren":3pj9746m said:
while I'm in Utah skiing week old snow. :-( I just can't get the timing right on my trips to Utah recently. The last bunch of times I've been out there it has been during a high pressure time. I might get some snow sunday, but the real storm is supposed to arrive by monday, and I'll be gone by then.

You may be heartened to see some comments in the avalanche advisory this morning:

The Utah Avalanche Center":3pj9746m said:
Northern Utah will be under a northwest flow today through Thursday, with weak disturbances bringing occasional cloudy skies and a chance of isolated snow flurries. Clouds will increase this afternoon ahead of the first weak disturbance, and there will be a chance for a snow flurry or two, with accumulations less than an inch. The winds will shift to the northwest, and speeds will gradually increase along the high ridges, into the 20 to 30 mph range, with gusts to 45, late this afternoon through early tomorrow morning. Temperatures will warm into the mid 20’s once again at the 8 to 10,000’ level. The models are now advertizing a strong cold front for Saturday afternoon followed by a cold moist northwest flow that lasts into Monday.

Back