Quebec,MSA,Le Massif and Le Massif du Sud

jasoncapecod

Instead of the usual Vermont trip this Holiday week. My wife and I decided to go to Quebec for some culture and skiing.
We skied 3 days and tubed one day..
MSA is your typical corporate type of ski mountain. Wide groomed boulevards. That turned in to a icy beast . The north side offers a little more variety with trees and trails with a little more character. sorry , some of the pics are out of order
Picture 181 (Medium).jpg

Next day we went tubing..Yeah I know what your thinking..This was tubing on steroids, it scared the crap out of me..
Picture 225 (Medium).jpg

Then following day we headed up to Le Massif. This one massive mountain. Long long steep runs. With the best views in the east. You feel like your skiing in to the St Lawrence. Unfortunately they need more snow to open the vast tree skiing.
Picture 213 (Medium).jpg

On the last day we skied Massif du Sud..The highlight of the trip...Pics and a TR can be found over on HR
http://www.nyskiblog.com/2011/01/le-mas ... ud-qc.html

Attachments

• Picture 192 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 192 (Medium).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8,253
  • Picture 206 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 206 (Medium).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8,254
You never now where there the snow will be ,last year same time raced up to Le Massif, for powder this year went south to Bolton Valley for the snow. Ironically ,live in Quebec but have never been to the other Massif. Usually snow is better north of the river however weather patterns out of sorts these days , who knows what will be next.

jasoncapecod":i5t38tu3 said:
Instead of the usual Vermont trip this Holiday week.

My wife and I decided to go to Quebec for some culture and skiing.

We skied 3 days and tubed one day..

MSA is your typical corporate type of ski mountain. Wide groomed boulevards. That turned in to a icy beast .

Which part was the culture?

Jason saving his best stuff for FTO. Time for a corporate crackdown!

IMO this TR is a classic.

I bet that the first few seconds of that tubing run were interesting. Where is that, MSA?

I screamed like a little girl :shock:
Valcartier Snow Park ..north west of the city about 30 mins..i highly recommend it.. http://www.valcartier.com/page.aspx?GP= ... =243&LA=EN

Which part was the culture?
Do you really want me to give a run down of the nice shopping and restaurants? 8)

Picture 261 (Medium).jpg

By the way Massif du Sud was packed..couldn't find a table in the cafe

Picture 267 (Medium).jpg

Ste. Anne has a bunch of steep narrow bump runs down the middle of the front side that are a lot of fun and will give you a very good workout. Their glades are OK and I've heard there is some good tree skiing though I haven't found it yet. We've been going there and Le Massif the last few President week vacations to avoid crowds and find more reasonable rates on lodging. Le Massif does have some great glades. Next trip we will have to check out that tubing place!!!

crank":2lqwkety said:
Ste. Anne has a bunch of steep narrow bump runs down the middle of the front side
Yes, but they face south and had thus lost cover when I was there in March 2003. Having your steep runs face south is not a recipe for reliability, especially if you don't have 370 inches of snow to compensate like Jackson does. And I thought the north side was quite flat. I'm not sure why Patrick is so impressed with the place. Nice to see those views from Le Massif. I got unlucky with weather at Le Massif, rain and fog, saw none of that. Massif du Sud seems to impress most people. I don't know if I'll get back to Quebec again, but Massif du Sud should be a priority if I do. Not sure why Massif du Sud would have more snow than Le Massif. The latter supposed gets "lake effect" from the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Tony Crocker":2pkbgplr said:
crank":2pkbgplr said:
Not sure why Massif du Sud would have more snow than Le Massif. The latter supposed gets "lake effect" from the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Massif du Sud definitely gets less annual snowfall than Le Massif de Charlevoix, but as Jason observed during Xmas week, it has a tiny fraction of the skier traffic despite being the exact same drive time from Quebec City.

As we all know the weather can be kookie . Sud had 30% more snow than Massif and 100% of the mountain was opened..

Picture 270 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• Picture 276 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 276 (Medium).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 8,093
I've been lucky with my timing to Ste Anne I guess, both times in mid Feb. Mountain pretty much 100% open. Yes the back side is very flat. Front does have a good pitch though. Last time there I got a foot of pow for my birthday on Feb. 19!

jamesdeluxe":1t1yzupb said:
Tony Crocker":1t1yzupb said:
crank":1t1yzupb said:
Not sure why Massif du Sud would have more snow than Le Massif. The latter supposed gets "lake effect" from the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Massif du Sud definitely gets less annual snowfall than Le Massif de Charlevoix, but as Jason observed during Xmas week, it has a tiny fraction of the skier traffic despite being the exact same drive time from Quebec City.
Not really James.

Massif du Sud receives more snow than Le Massif de Charlevoix. MdS is part of the Appalachian and get snow of those storm that come from the south. According to ZSki and ASSQ, MdS average over a 6 year period is 67cm greater than Le Massif. It is also noted from people that look at this, that Le Massif data is collected near the top lodge.

Below is the list compiled by Frankontour for the Zoneski guide. He mentioned that it's a 6 year average based on numbers from the ASSQ (Association des Stations de ski du Québec). Mt Miller and Grand Fonds aren't rated due to missing data.

source: Zoneski: http://www.zoneski.com/vivelaneige/tops2.php#quatre

Voici les 10 stations les plus enneigées du Québec. Cette liste a été réalisée avec les données de l'Association des stations de ski du Québec des 6 dernières années. Prenez note que le mont Miller et le mont Grand-Fonds n'ont pas été classés pour manque d'informations. Réalisé par François Massicotte.

1-Val D'Irène
Avec une moyenne de 640 cm de neige par saison.
2- Le Valinouët
Avec une moyenne de 627 cm de neige par saison.
3- Le Massif du Sud
Avec une moyenne de 620 cm de neige par saison.
4- Le Massif de la petite rivière st-François
Avec une moyenne de 553 cm de neige par saison.
5- Mont Comi
Avec une moyenne de 547 cm de neige par saison.
6- Mont Sainte Anne
Avec une moyenne de 503 cm de neige par saison.
7- Mont Édouard
Avec une moyenne de 487 cm de neige par saison.
8- Mont Sutton
Avec une moyenne de 453 cm de neige par saison.
9- Mont Orford
Avec une moyenne de 448 cm de neige par saison.
10- Stoneham
Avec une moyenne de 437 cm de neige par saison.

Yes, but they face south and had thus lost cover when I was there in March 2003. Having your steep runs face south is not a recipe for reliability, especially if you don't have 370 inches of snow to compensate like Jackson does.
[-X

You said it yourself, one visit in March doesn't represent squat. I've skied the south side runs a number of times in March and April. Jackson doesn't have the climate that Ste-Anne does either. We discussed this before, I'd rather really having a south facing terrain at Ste-Anne than North facing terrain at Sutton for my late season skiing. You have to look at the climate also. Generally those Ste-Anne South facing slopes have snow as long as the North facing Sutton.

And I thought the north side was quite flat. I'm not sure why Patrick is so impressed with the place. Nice to see those views from Le Massif.
The overall topography of Ste-Anne is way better than Le Massif. I love areas with consistant fall line skiing which is what MSA offers in the South side. North isn't that flat, I've seen worst. North side only represents a portion of the ski area terrain. Best overall terrain and challenge in Quebec in my books.

Le Massif has long flats with the exception of the area around the old 42/Charlevoix trails.

Massif du Sud seems to impress most people. I don't know if I'll get back to Quebec again, but Massif du Sud should be a priority if I do.

You have to look at it historically. Skiing has always been really close from those living in Quebec City. Le Relais, Mt St-Castin (lost), Val Cartier (lost), Stoneham and Ste-Anne, all these areas are within 30 minutes from downtown. Both Massif are close require between 60-90 minutes to get to.

Le Massif is big compared to MdS and more established.

MdS is also south of the city which would be probably more favoured by the people living on the south shore of the St.Lawrence river. There is only one place to cross the river and Quebec and most of the population live north of the river.

jasoncapecod":1t1yzupb said:
As we all know the weather can be kookie . Sud had 30% more snow than Massif and 100% of the mountain was opened.

Quebec City, like Ottawa is far below the average snow accumulations numbers. I got this second hand from a friend in Quebec City, she mentioned that she didn't see so little in the 8 years she's lived there. Besides the Appalachians in the southern part of the province, snow numbers are way off everywhere including the Gaspe.

jasoncapecod":1t1yzupb said:
Do you really want me to give a run down of the nice shopping and restaurants? 8)

View attachment 1

Nice shopping mall. :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl:

Patrick":104v7wft said:
Not really James.
3- Le Massif du Sud
Avec une moyenne de 620 cm de neige par saison.
4- Le Massif de la petite rivière st-François
Avec une moyenne de 553 cm de neige par saison.
When I made my comment above, I was thinking of Francois's list, but since they were right next to each other, I confused the two Massifs.

While mass-market ski areas aren't my cup of tea, I liked Mont Sainte-Anne's consistent pitch on the front side and thought that the north side was fun for easy blue-square laps. Also, it's one of very few lift-served EC mountains with a variety of facets, where you can follow the sun the entire day during the spring.

Whoever said Le Massif has long flats was not skiing the same area I was. At least not the same runs! A little flat at the top then a very nice consistent pitch all the way down to the chairs at the bottom. Not super steep but not flat by any means. Probably the longest, consistent pitch in the east next to Whiteface maybe, but a lot more fun to ski than WF IMO.

crank":1nlzibhp said:
Whoever said Le Massif has long flats was not skiing the same area I was. At least not the same runs! A little flat at the top then a very nice consistent pitch all the way down to the chairs at the bottom. Not super steep but not flat by any means. Probably the longest, consistent pitch in the east next to Whiteface maybe, but a lot more fun to ski than WF IMO.

Okay, the definition of flat might not be the same. The longest, consistent pitch is in the area on looker's left (as I mentioned in my post). The middle and old part has a lot of steep section connected that flats. The right side is steep, but it runs out. Sorry, I might be coming down with the Crocker disease.

Patrick":1w27pnma said:
Sorry, I might be coming down with the Crocker disease.

:rotfl: One of the funnier comments I've seen here in a while.

I too never found Massif de Charlevoix to have any annoying flats. I admittedly never skied there during the bus days, but I found the ski area between the bus days and the current incarnation (i.e., before the destruction of Le 42) to be far more interesting than it is now. Personally I now prefer the homey, low-key feel and the steep trees of Massif du Sud over MdC.

I have to wonder about Patrick's snow quotes. Sutton and Orford look way low for being that close to Jay. I thought Patrick had previously posted numbers for those areas in the 250 inch (~625cm) range. Le Massif is about 625cm also, based on number I have from them.

Tony Crocker":130q4py8 said:
I have to wonder about Patrick's snow quotes. Sutton and Orford look way low for being that close to Jay. I thought Patrick had previously posted numbers for those areas in the 250 inch (~625cm) range. Le Massif is about 625cm also, based on number I have from them.

These are second hand numbers taken from Zoneski. Frank compiled and averaged 6 years. Not sure which year are included. Not sure where I said it was 250 inch for Sutton?

There isn't a quick yearly average snow accumulation number that I could find from the Sutton site.

Mont Sutton's historical numbers (schroll down halfway). Sutton haven't passed the 600 mark since 2000-01:
http://www.montsutton.com/en/pistes_et_ ... _technique

Le Massif's site info:
Annual Average Snowfall:
672 cm
http://www.lemassif.com/en/montagne/fichetechnique

Massif du Sud is the small way as the Sutton site. Did a quick check and didn't find a yearly average. Just a detail yearly list for the last 10 years.
http://www.massifdusud.net/accumulations.asp

I forgot that Orford was not that close to Sutton. Patrick pointed me to some long term Sutton data here (last post in the thread): http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... =10&t=8223

Most of the Quebec data is missing at least a month of the benchmark Nov.1 - Apr. 30 data I use. Even so, it's an amazing dropoff in snowfall relative to the entire spine of the same mountains in northern Vermont.

Tony Crocker":3iu0ova5 said:
I forgot that Orford was not that close to Sutton.
They couldn't be closer as the crow flies: Jay Peak is clearly visible on the right. Hard to believe, but Orford gets less than half of Jay's snow.

file.php

Here's Patrick's map:
file.php

Back