28 inches in 2 weeks!

kingslug

WOW...not bad..the Catskills have gotten up to 28 inches in these last 2 storms...I couldn't partake in this last one..but at least we are getting some real stuff. More in the forecast for later in the week..this might turn into another real winter for us...I wonder how much money NYC spent getting ready for this last one...then nothing stuck...

Very little base in the woods still. First storm blew away and then melted out last weekend. Both storms were also very low water content. Don't get me wrong, the skiing at Hunter the last 3 weeks has been off the charts. This morning I had boot top powder on both faces of the mountain.

I've never really seen or heard reports of tree skiing from Hunter.

I think they do have one marked glade, and they blow snow into it?

Seems like lots of new growth/small trees between trails.

Bell's trees are decent and seem underutilized. James says something similar about Windham. Platte trees LOOK fantastic, but never been in them.

The biggest problem with the potential of tree skiing at Hunter is the ridiculous amount of ledge on that mountain.

Admin":2zo4425g said:
The biggest problem with the potential of tree skiing at Hunter is the ridiculous amount of ledge on that mountain.
I don't know about you, but I love hucking off of 30 ft cliffs onto man made hard top.

Harvey44":l8hbp35x said:
I've never really seen or heard reports of tree skiing from Hunter.

I think they do have one marked glade, and they blow snow into it?

Seems like lots of new growth/small trees between trails.

Bell's trees are decent and seem underutilized. James says something similar about Windham. Platte trees LOOK fantastic, but never been in them.
There's a secret trail to the skiers left of anapurna, you have to go through the trees to get there. I've never done it but heard it's quite easy and that the trees between are totally skiable. Also I believe some of the trees are very skiable to the skiers right of k22. The one caveat is the amount of snow needed. Personally I would want at least 30 inches of natural base.

Back