ANd the hits just keep on comin!

plattekill was absolutely fantastic today. no there wasn't 24" but there was 18" of fluffy lake effect that had piled up all week and it was nice and light, with conditions underneath that were silky smooth.

so much untouched pristine snow and a good pitch to ski it, simply awesome! well worth the 3 hour drive!

icing on the cake: $30 lift ticket. i love that mountain, i wish it was my hometown hill!

kingslug":mb11gcgy said:
What is this grooming you speak of...have you seen the grooming at Platt...
Never been there before. I wonder how my father and sister and wife will hold up there.

I don't know what kind of groomer they use....but it...or they...don't do it very well.....they try but most of the runs get bumped up pretty quick. The face stays pretty flat, usualy only gets bumped up on the right...They should have no prob as its only 1000 vertical.

Rob, go to Bell..Your wife and dad will enjoy it more..It was very good today. A bit crowded , but not overwhelming...

jasoncapecod":23k4ma2i said:
Rob, go to Bell..Your wife and dad will enjoy it more..It was very good today. A bit crowded , but not overwhelming...

Bell was a bit crowded? I would rather go to hunter than bell when the crowds get bigger. We've already talked about it, and made plans for Platt. I'm sure Platt will be empty compared to both of the other two.

I really don't see what a crappy season in part of Eastern Canada has to do with "climate change," man-made or otherwise. ](*,) There are nearly always some places snowier than average and some with less. So far this season the former outnumber the latter by a considerable margin.

It is true that worldwide temps in the first half of the year were highest on record. But the end of the year brought 2010 back into the range of the previous peaks of 1998 and 2005. The past decade continues to look flat overall. 2011 is a strong favorite to be lower, if only due to the La Nina.

Tony Crocker":1h16e4en said:
I really don't see what a crappy season in part of Eastern Canada has to do with "climate change," man-made or otherwise. ](*,) There are nearly always some places snowier than average and some with less. So far this season the former outnumber the latter by a considerable margin.

It is true that worldwide temps in the first half of the year were highest on record. But the end of the year brought 2010 back into the range of the previous peaks of 1998 and 2005. The past decade continues to look flat overall. 2011 is a strong favorite to be lower, if only due to the La Nina.
Joe Bastardi seems very confident that the next decade will be getting colder, and appreciably so.

rfarren":1vfaclte said:
Tony Crocker":1vfaclte said:

Joe Bastardi seems very confident that the next decade will be getting colder, and appreciably so.

I've listened to many of Joe's prognositications about future "global cooling" and I thought he said that he expected it may last 30 to 40 years - more or less the rest of my skiing lifetime. If his prediction does come true. he seems to think (and I would agree) that it could have devastating consequences for humanity - much lower crop yields, soaring commodity prices, widespread starvation. shortages of energy, worldwide plagues, etc. We might be wishing for the good old days of global warming. But I guess on the bright side, the skiing should be better, if you haven't starved to death or the marauding hordes haven't ransacked your house looking for food.

berkshireskier":212nxc4c said:
I've listened to many of Joe's prognositications about future "global cooling" and I thought he said that he expected it may last 30 to 40 years - more or less the rest of my skiing lifetime. If his prediction does come true. he seems to think (and I would agree) that it could have devastating consequences for humanity - much lower crop yields, soaring commodity prices, widespread starvation. shortages of energy, worldwide plagues, etc. We might be wishing for the good old days of global warming. But I guess on the bright side, the skiing should be better, if you haven't starved to death or the marauding hordes haven't ransacked your house looking for food.
You forgot to mention the brain eating zombies.

I updated the season on the 4 hour train Tokyo to Hakuba. Maybe it takes a while to get online when uploaded from a remote location. At any rate the past week has brought overall eastern snowfall within shouting distance of normal and MLK gets the first "A" of the season. No question Eastern Canada is missing out. I assume Mt. Ste. Anne only 58% open is quite unusual for mid-January.

Back