ANd the hits just keep on comin!

kingslug

And now another noreaster...damn..these are the winters I remember when I was a kid. Hunter yesterday was stellar...incredible base..guns where going on mainline and Racers..Anapurns was incredible..pow bumps everywhere...and now maybe another 10 inches...man this winter is kicking...... :mrgreen:

Patrick":1n2q9ng1 said:
kingslug":1n2q9ng1 said:
man this winter is kicking...... :mrgreen:
I know where are Winter have done...it's been in NY for two years. ](*,)
So come on down and stop worrying, NYC, the best big ski town in the EC.

rfarren":33btt6rw said:
So come on down and stop worrying, NYC, the best big ski town in the EC.
Sure looks like it... :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmf-I1WNpQ4[/youtube]

However your city crew needs to take lessons in snow removal. ](*,)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVypA4YzyQ[/youtube]

That's a great video!!!

I saw the one with the plow slamming the truck before. We sure could use some lessons in snow removal. Pat, if you do make it down this way let me know, I would love to get some turns with you.

rfarren":2yawy238 said:
Pat, if you do make it down this way let me know, I would love to get some turns with you.

You didn't get the memo, I'll be skiing mostly 25 miles from house until mid-March. What I wouldn't do to bread the next generation of ripping skiing chick. :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9072

The only way I'll make south of the border and outside the locals is going to be midweek.

I'm going after a few records...
Most days at the same area in one season. Previous record from the last 30 years was done last season with 17. I'm currently at 9.
Most days at hill below 700ft ... 11 out of 12 so far, the exception being that WF Toll Road in October.
But I can take relief, it's only for 4 months out of a 12 months ski season.

Edit: we have snow on the ground, but it's very minimal. Heard today that in Canada, 2010 was the hottest year on record. Hottest Spring and Winter. Previous record was in 1998. 4 of the warmest year on record were in the last decade, the biggest difference being in the northern latitudes.

Patrick":3mpn9ga9 said:
Heard today that in Canada, 2010 was the hottest year on record. Hottest Spring and Winter. Previous record was in 1998. 7 of the warmest year on record were in the last decade, the biggest difference being in the northern latitudes.

And it snowed yesterday in Birmingham, Alabama where it's going down to 14ºF tonight. But yeah, I know the talking points...it's because of "global warming." :roll:

Admin":165yy12z said:
Patrick":165yy12z said:
Heard today that in Canada, 2010 was the hottest year on record. Hottest Spring and Winter. Previous record was in 1998. 4 of the warmest year on record were in the last decade, the biggest difference being in the northern latitudes.

And it snowed yesterday in Birmingham, Alabama where it's going down to 14ºF tonight. But yeah, I know the talking points...it's because of "global warming." :roll:

](*,)

You would be crying too if Alta would be running at about 40% normal snow for the last 2 years. Yeck, it's been colder in Alta that here.

Yeah and NYC, London, France is getting snow.

Just stating facts. Another very far from normal winter for us. Same in Quebec and even the Saguenay and Gaspe. Just reporting the number presented by EC today without making references to GW. The fact that the Great White North isn't as white while NYC is getting the snow.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology ... story.html

* edit: 4 of the warmest year have been in the last decade.

Admin":2rtalffo said:
Patrick":2rtalffo said:
Heard today that in Canada, 2010 was the hottest year on record. Hottest Spring and Winter. Previous record was in 1998. 7 of the warmest year on record were in the last decade, the biggest difference being in the northern latitudes.

Climate change is really the preferred wording here. Global warming implies man made. Climate change is more a catch all of "hey, we don't know what is causing it but the data says its getting warmer in most places." For the record, I am the FIRST person to say any one that cites a one day anomaly as proof (either way) of what is described as a long term trend is a fool. Pat's note was regarding an entire year being the hottest on record. Now that's only a one year anomaly but your conclusion based on slow in Alabama is not exactly comparative. Its snowed in Alabama before any ways whereas a one year record high would be a unique anomaly.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programing. Powder day!

FYI, according to Joe Bastardi at accuweather, the snow cover over the US this January is the largest extent since 1985.

BTW this storm wasn't very strong. I don't think it was much more than 5 or 6 inches here in the city. I think the Catskills got hit harder. I just feel bad for No' VT, they can't seem to get a break this winter.

I think sugarbush got 15 a few days ago..but yes it sucks, everything is coming to the south lately...good for me but I do want to hit Vt sometime. Looks like the Cats may end up with a foot...which means.....I think I'll hit hunter tommorow..just because...

kingslug":o6tiolcm said:
And now we wait for snowfall totals..

I would estimate 18 to 24 inches here in Western Massachusetts from this storm. As of 2:00 PM EST, the snow has stopped (although some additional snow showers are predicted for the remainder of the day). It must have snowed very hard during the night because, when I went to bed at 11:30 it was not snowing yet, and when I woke up at 7:00 AM, there was already 15 to 18 inches of snow from the storm. There is a LOT of snow out there. I almost skidded my car off the road trying to get to work. The scene outside reminds me of growing up in the 1960's when we used to make snow forts and tunnels in the high banks of snow along the side of my parents' driveway.

Hunter got 10 inches...so I'm going...wish I could have gone today though......Mass got slammed...Sundown got 18..good for them!!

kingslug":27lezoq2 said:
Hunter got 10 inches...so I'm going...wish I could have gone today though......Mass got slammed...Sundown got 18..good for them!!

Yea, I may have been conservative in my estimate above of the snow amounts from this storm. When I got home from work, I went out snowshoeing and the snow is DEEP. I think at least 24 inches and possibly more than that (on top of the 12 or so inches already on the ground). Plus, although it looked like it was clearing earlier today, moderately heavy snow showers developed around 4:30 PM and are continuing. We could pick up another inch or two. Winsted, CT, about 30 southeast of me, reported 34 inches from the storm. Snowbanks along the road are in the 4 to 5 ft. range - hard to shovel out the mailbox. UGH. If this is global warming, bring it on !!

I'm going to meet a client of mine first thing in the morning to ski for a couple of hours. Should be phenomenal (by east coast standards)

kingslug":34h7e9ua said:
What is the best place to ski in conn. I would travel up to 3 hours from long island.

I've never skied there, but I think Mohawk is considered the best ski area in CT (in northwestern CT). However, I would drive the extra 30 minutes or so and go to either Butternut or Catamount in the southern Berkshires in Massachusetts. Both ski areas have considerably more vertical, trails, and lifts and better facillities. I skied at Butternut today and the conditions were about as good as they get in this part of the ski world. They were reporting 20 to 24 inches of new snow from yesterday's storm (and I believe them, for once). However, I'm sure this long weekend will be JAMMED at all the ski areas in southern New England. I would highly recommend gettting to any ski area early (lifts open at 8:15), as it will get crowded fast.

Back