MLK crowds?

Jem

We were looking to go to either Hunter Mountain or Stowe for MLK this weekend. Wondering how crowded it gets at each of those. Is there any good beginner place that may not get as crowded?

Jem":hd2k9o1h said:
We were looking to go to either Hunter Mountain or Stowe for MLK this weekend. Wondering how crowded it gets at each of those. Is there any good beginner place that may not get as crowded?
I'm going either to Hunter or Platte Sunday. If you're at hunter saturday would you post a trip report and let us know what the crowd situation is?

Hunter's beginner part of the mountain can get crowded on weekends. That said, I think Windham get's bigger crowds than Hunter. Belle tends to be a bit more low key, but they can get bad crowds, and their lifts are slow. However, their lower part of the mountain doesn't tend to get too bad, and those trails are almost all beginner.

Skiied Windham on SundayJan, 9. High speed quad averaged out to about 10 minute lift line all day long. Wheelchair line was a bit shorter. East peak was a bit longer than 10 minutes prior to leaving that area for the main base. (Wind was brutal right in your face, Stopped on Wanderer on first run of the day and the wind blew me back up slope.) Overall Windham had very slick conditions.

Skiied Hunter on Monday Jan 10. We were the only people there. Ski on, every lift, every time. Conditions were very good. Grooming was great and there were many places left ungroomed with very nice bumps. Nothing off trail was skiable. They were making snow all day and conditions were only getting better as the day went on.

From Sunday at Windham (not a holiday, just a weekend) I would imagine they would be really packed for MLK. From what we saw I would not go back there unless it was mid week. Not sure how Hunter would be for that weekend.

I'm guessing that almost every ski area in New England will be jammed this weekend. Especially the ones that got the most snow from the latest storm - the Catskills, Massachusetts, etc. I teach skiing part-time at my local mountain and I've already gotten an email from the ski school director saying that all private and pre-booking group lessons are sold out for all three days. I just stopped by the ski area to pick up something and the parking lot was about 2/3 filled - on a non-holiday Friday !! I hate to say this but I think the danger level of skiing goes up dramatically when it is as crowded as it will be this weekend.

ricks":24mi99jt said:
Skiied Windham on SundayJan, 9. High speed quad averaged out to about 10 minute lift line all day long. Wheelchair line was a bit shorter. East peak was a bit longer than 10 minutes prior to leaving that area for the main base. (Wind was brutal right in your face, Stopped on Wanderer on first run of the day and the wind blew me back up slope.) Overall Windham had very slick conditions.

Skiied Hunter on Monday Jan 10. We were the only people there. Ski on, every lift, every time. Conditions were very good. Grooming was great and there were many places left ungroomed with very nice bumps. Nothing off trail was skiable. They were making snow all day and conditions were only getting better as the day went on.

From Sunday at Windham (not a holiday, just a weekend) I would imagine they would be really packed for MLK. From what we saw I would not go back there unless it was mid week. Not sure how Hunter would be for that weekend.
Hunter is always empty Monday's. It's a different story weekends and especially MLK. I'm starting to think platte is the mountain to hit.

I was at Hunter Monday the 10th..so...you had company..just didn't know it....Plattekill is the place to be to avoid the crowds...and considering conditions I had at Hunter yesterday it will all get skied off very quickly as the base is very shiny...I took 1 run down Anapurna ..and that was it..icey as hell in the troughs...The snow at Platt has been marinating all week as they are closed weekdays...

I have to agree... if you are headed to the Cats this weekend, and crowd avoidance is the goal - hit Plattekill. It's a little farther, but even with the extra drive time, I'm betting you'll get more skiing. And as mentioned above, nobody has skied Platte since last Sunday. They've probably had a foot and a half since then.

Harvey44":9p7vhtt9 said:
I have to agree... if you are headed to the Cats this weekend, and crowd avoidance is the goal - hit Plattekill. It's a little farther, but even with the extra drive time, I'm betting you'll get more skiing. And as mentioned above, nobody has skied Platte since last Sunday. They've probably had a foot and a half since then.
It's confirmed, that's where I'm going to be Sunday. If any of you guys are around there Sunday let me know.

rfarren":3to9eupf said:
Jem":3to9eupf said:
I'm going either to Hunter or Platte Sunday. If you're at hunter saturday would you post a trip report and let us know what the crowd situation is?

Hunter's beginner part of the mountain can get crowded on weekends. That said, I think Windham get's bigger crowds than Hunter. Belle tends to be a bit more low key, but they can get bad crowds, and their lifts are slow. However, their lower part of the mountain doesn't tend to get too bad, and those trails are almost all beginner.

Didn't go to Hunter on Saturday. Going to try tomorrow. If you go today, can you post how the crowds are?

Was at platt today... Crowded for plate, which means pretty empty.
4a734c87-5690-d11f.jpg

4a734c87-56af-8bc2.jpg

btw very soft snow. Wifey did her first bump run, a double black here but a legit black out west. Would've been easy had or been groomed for her.

Back